Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Street Names

Here's one I dont remember -
    Osborne Close, on Coach Road. ?? any ideas?
    It is on the left hand side as you go up toward the North School set in at 90 deg and just about as far as Gibby frasers old shop i dont know who lives in there now but Jimmy Carter that was skipper of the ben Loyal WK3 lived in there for a few years Hope this helps
    PM

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Echidna,

Most of Vansittart Street - as your grandfather would have known it - has now gone.
    In the 1960s the old Fishermens' cottages were knocked down and
    new houses put up, with running hot and cold water and inside toilets ! Such luxury.

My grannie lived in Vansittart street - so she would have known your grandfather!
    Hi Trinkie

thanks for the very interesting information, it great reading stories about the auld days and the herring industry of Caithness. It is always a shame when progress destroys the heritage. Do you know of any photos of this area?

However, the David Alexander of Vanisttart St was my great uncle, a brother of my 2xgreat grandfather Andrew Bremner Alexander, born Keiss 1853, died Drummoyne NSW Australia 1923. My grandfather was also a David Alexander and lived his whole life in NSW without ever having visited the auld country. His father was also David Alexander, another native of NSW. It appears the name David came down from the Nicolson forbear David Nicolson of Slickly and Strubster.

A lot of people have been commenting on how great/interesting this thread is ........... would it be so interesting in 50 ... 60 ... 70 years time?? Are there meanings behind the names of new streets being built? I don't know Wick at all, but have been trying to think of Thurso streets that will turn out to have interesting meanings behind the names.....

Also, I'm assuming Bexley Terrace is named after the Bexley mentioned previously??

Default Street Names

Oh dear ! sorry I made a mistake with your relation Echidna. The rest of what I said is nearly all correct !

Henry20 - The streets mentioned here are indeed 70++ years ago !
    And the modern street names will undoubtedly be of interest in 70 - 80 time ! It's where you live. The history of the place is in the making all the time - you wont notice until many years to come.

We took outside toilets, cold water , Fishing boats and Herring Gutters as the norm at that time. It's not until the scene changes drastically that you realise. There will come a day when you too will be saying "Div ye mind? " (so pay attention to what you've got around you now !)

The reason I ask is the only new street name (in Thurso) that springs to mind is Primrose Avenue - which I assume is named after the flower (although I may be wrong!) and therefore, will have no historical relevance in 50+ years (IMO)

As it is, I don't know the significance of the street names now, so doubt I'd be much use to the younger generation in 50+ years

Default Street names

Henry20. Primrose Avenue is a pretty name - it may not mean much to you now, but in years to come when (Heaven forbid) there are no Primroses, then it will at least remind you that Primroses once grew there. You can take pride in telling your granchildren about the swathes of Primroses around your door in springtime!

There are many Street names which just name the area - in Wick there was Shore Road, Harbour Place, Rope Work Park, no explanation needed there !

Default Wick Street Names

I'm usually a grand sleeper, early to bed etc works just fine with me. But not last night ! I tossed this way and that but could not settle.
    What was the matter? I'd finished the crossword at teatime, so there was nothing left there for me to puzzle about.
    Oh dear ! Teatime on the stroke of 4pm - that must be it - I'd enjoyed a generous helping of rhubarb crumble just waiting to be used up. Yes, that must be it - Rhubarb's Revenge !!
    And what a price that rhubarb was, £2.99 for three stalks from our friendly T... store. My mother would have had a fit.
    For she never paid a penny for rhubarb in the old days it all came from the Manse garden in Miller Lane.
    Round about this time each year mum would say "If it's a fine day tomorrow, ye can go over to MILLER LANE to collect the Rhubarb."
    I'd been to church on Sunday and heard the Rev Samuel Ballantyne announce from the pulpit that once again this year he had been blessed with a bumper crop of rhubarb, which was there for one and all to come and collect !
    The next morning weather permitting, I was up and dressed in no time at all having gathered together an assortment of bags and old newspapers to put the Rhubarb in.
    "I'm off" I shouted as I left VANSITTART STREET and skipped, hopped and jumped my way across the OULD BACKIES. In HUDDART STREET Jack Bremner was sweeping the pavement in front of his shop. "Good morning Bambi - you're off early today" I waved to Jack as I crossed the road and made my way up DUCKSIE.
    I slowed down as I passed Mr Henderson's house, as he kept Alsatian dogs who would bark if anyone passed their house. I crossed over and had a look in Mr Taylor's Bike shop window....... one day I hoped to get a Raleigh bike of my own.
    I ran through the ARGYLE SQUARE GREEN happy to see the trees in full bud and the montbretia and hardy fuscia's well up for the time of year.
    I chatted to a couple of friends in DEMPSTER STREET, but didn't stop long for I was on a most important errand.
    I slowed down as I turned the corner and passed the CLIFF BAKERY..... if only I had a couple of pennies to buy one of their delicious fancy cakes.
    Further along I came to the Library and made a mental note to return my book the very next day, or else I would get another black mark from that wiffie who never smiled or said thank you..... Crocodile personified !
    Reaching Mrs Black's dress shop I stood and gazed at all the beautiful dresses in the window! When I'm big I'm going to buy all my dresses from Mrs Black.
    Her window looked so nice with a pink dress in the middle and a blue one to the right, and that leg with a silk stocking leaning against a pretty box. In the front there was a box of nice lace hankies.
    Next door, Mr Gall was doing his window. This was Fred Shearer's Gents' Outfitters - for very smart gentlemen I supposed. In his window he had that head, which was always there, with a paddy hat and a yellow silk paisley cravat, and a pair of leather gloves sitting at an angle beside it. I never liked that head, so hurried down the CLIFF and crossed the road.
    I made my way along the river path all the way up to the little bridge, then LOVERS' LANE and soon I was in MILLER AVENUE. The Manse looming large above me !.
    The Rev Ballantyne saw me coming and gave me a nice welcome. Soon he had filled all my bags and piled as much rhubarb that he thought I could carry.
    I was a bit slower on my homeward journey. Down the HIGH STREET passed Woolworths and Beelie Banks' shop with all the clothes hanging outside - dungarees, caps, check shirts.... on to Cabrelli's how I wished I had a couple of pennies with me, I would really love an ice-cream cornet now.
    Soon I was over the NewBridge and passed the Harbour and made my way up the steps beside the Co-op. I waved to some old men sitting round the Pilot House and soon I was home.
    Mum was delighted with my load, and set about to stew some rhubarb to have with custard for our tea.
    Later on she got ready to start making the Rhubarb and Ginger jam for the church sale of work.
    The kitchen was full of the most delicious smells.

Blast !! the alarm has gone off and it's time to get up!! I sit up in bed and rub my eyes - what a night !
    But who was MILLER LANE named after, one day I must find out.

Later I check my emails and there to my surprise is one from an old Wick friend....." I hear you're wanting till know aboot the Wick Street names" it begins, so I read on.

MILLER LANE ... John Miller, British Fisheries Society Shareholder.
    VANSITTART STREET..... Nicholas Vansittart, 1st Baron Bexley.
    HUDDART STREET .. Captain Joseph Huddart , Hydrographer and Manufacturer of Patent Cordage. BFS
    GRANT STREET ........... Sir William Grant Director and Master of the Rolls. BFS Shareholder
    DEMPSTER STREET .......George Dempster, MP Director of BFS. Promoter of the Society for the extension and protection of Scottish Fisheries.
    ARGYLE SQUARE .......... .Named for George Douglas Campbell, Duke of Argyle, Governor of British Fisheries Society.

More Street Names to come - but that's another story.
    With thanks to my old friend for all this wonderful information.
    Last edited by trinkie; 24-Apr-07 at 20:28. Reason: correcting one street name

Default Wick Street names

There used to be Traill Street in Wick - where was that ? can someone help here please?
    Of course it was named after George Traill, Liberal M P for County of Caithness. Director of British Fisheries Society.

Loch Street - now here's a surprise - it was named after James Loch, Deputy Governor of BFS MP for Wick Burghs. ( I always thought there had been a loch there at one time! )

Burn Street - named after George Burn, local Architect who built the bridge over Wick river in 1807, which replaced the original wooden one. ( again I thought there had been a Burn there - just shows how wrong one can be !)

What about Saltoun St, Rose St, and Martha Terr.?

I know Saltoun is a surname associated with the Frasers, so likely the street name is after someone important from the British Fisheries Society, but Rose and Martha...were they the wives of somebody or other? (I think in a previous post Henrietta St was mentioned, too, but I dont recall if anyone answered to that).

I'm very curious!
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Would be interested to know about Robertson Square - I believe its a relative newcomer compared to most of the ones posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    That's an unusual name isn't it, brandy?

I think I'll take a look at my family tree (I'd put it away for the summer) and maybe post some of the addresses my relations lived at -maybe some Orgers will be living there now or there again, perhaps the houses will have been demolished
    Hi Angela, Dempster street is as exactly as it was when built .there has been little or no demolition there except where the garage [Dunnet,s] is and that was an old church but the houses are all still intact & lived in.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hi Angela, Dempster street is as exactly as it was when built .there has been little or no demolition there except where the garage [Dunnet,s] is and that was an old church but the houses are all still intact & lived in.
    I'm delighted to hear that, johno ...must get back up to Wick soon and see for myself

Default Wick Street Names

Hallo Elenna,

Saltoun Street .... named after Gilbert Salton, Secretary of Fisheries Society.

Rose Street..... George Rose, Treasurer of British Fisheries Socy.

Martha Terrace and Barbara Place are named after female relatives of Directors of the British Fisheries Socy.

It's worth to try a google search on some of the names for more details if you wish.

Kind regards
    Trinkie

ROSEBANK.
    Named after Rosebank House owned by the Henderson family.

"Miss Adelaine Florence Henderson of Rosebank, the last surviving member of the family of the late James Henderson of Bilbster, died on 24 Oct 1926. By her will she left among other bequests – to the Wick and Pulteneytown District Nursing Association, her house and grounds of Rosebank, along with a legacy of £15,000 for the purpose of establishing, equipping and particularly endowing a Nursing Home in Wick to be known as the Henderson Memorial Nursing Home in memory of her sisters and herself,
    She also left £2,000 for the purchase of an ambulance. "

JOG Dec 1927

for Dusty - Miller Street / Lane -

John Miller was a British Fisheries Socy Shareholder.

McArthur Street .....Charles MacArthur Excise Officer and Agent.

MacRae Street .......Colin MacRae, Assistant Secretary to BFS

Breadalbane Cres / Terrace .... The Earl of Breadalbane, Deputy Governor

Mount Hooly . Here is a nice article taken from John O Groat Journal 1933...
    "Miss Isabella Bruce of Mount Hooly House , only daughter of the late Mr Charles Bruce, an estimable Wick Lady who passed away on Aug 15th 1933.
    Miss Bruce had numerous friends, and every year she purchased about 100 copies of our Christmas Number, which she posted with her compliments and good wishes, to her correspondents in all parts of the world."

OK a wee bit of trivia for you all - where would one find Brims's Buildings and what business (still in existence) used to sell out of it?

Smile Dempster St, Alexander and Keith grocers, Johnston Studio pics

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Thanks good news johno,

nice to know some of the old town remains

The book Vintage Wick of Johnston studio pics has some nice photos of Dempster St, one in flood, showing the grocers of (William) Alexander and Keith on the corner.

For those of us with Caithness roots separated by several generations and many thousands of miles this book is an excellent source for looking at the 'auld day' scenes and people.

Echidna

George - I dinna ken - you will have to enlighten us please !

More snippets.....The wonderful firm of MacEwans in Wick
    (Furniture / Boat builders etc etc) certainly left it's mark.

GEORGE STREET ... they had their Offices and Showrooms and several of their family houses are still standing.

ROBERT STREET .... Here they built houses for the workers
    and kept their horses and built stables.

KIRKHILL...... Foremen's houses

MILLER AVENUE ..... More houses for the workers

A company to be proud of I'm sure !

This link will take you to the 1872 Ordnance Survey maps of Wick, I usually browse through these quite a bit. http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/wick.html

Airdlass -
    ROBERTSON SQUARE...... Was build in the 1950s.
    I cant find where the name came from..
    There was a Rector of the High School
    and a chief Librarian by that name, but
    I dont think the Street was named after
    either of them.

I may be wrong - I hope someone will come up with the correct person !

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast