Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Wick Street Names

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    When I read your reply Mosser, I thought "Heavens - that's no lek Mosser !" Alas it's my own spelling error - it should read Angus Henderson's Close, does that make any difference to you? I was reading a poem by John Horne and he begins by explaining..... Bill Prior's Hyrdopathic. “The Hydropathic” was a famous establishment in its day - a lodging-house up “ Angus Henderson's Close” for tramps and beggars of every description. It was affirmed that when the house was full some of the “travellers” were accommodated on ropes ! Bill – a tall, dark, quiet man – swept chimneys, cleaned clocks etc.....
    Aha, That makes more sense Trinkie, I think that it was near the foot of Tolbooth Lane,but, along with all the 19th Century properties it's all gone now.

Mosser

Quote Originally Posted by Mosser View Post
    Aha, That makes more sense Trinkie, I think that it was near the foot of Tolbooth Lane,but, along with all the 19th Century properties it's all gone now.

Mosser
    Whoops, I forgot to say that Angus Henderson and his wife ran a pub in the close

Thank you Mosser, I'll make a note of that next to the poem !

Another part of the jigsaw has been solved !

I dont see Burn Street in this thread, but I think it was named for George Burns, the architect of the New Harbour .

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    I dont see Burn Street in this thread, but I think it was named for George Burns, the architect of the New Harbour .
    Is it a coincidence that the heat centre is in Burn Street?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I think that Ebeneezer was a son/nephew of the family who built the building that is now MacKay's Hotel. Basically all the streets in upper Pulteney were named for office bearers/members of the British Fisheries Society except for Cairndhuna and Kennedy and the names in Lower Pulteney were more the trades and workers, Telford, Burn Saltoun Rose etc.

Ah, nice one Kevin, nice one son. The Burn war actually George Burn a local architect who carried out lots of Telfords' plans such as the old bridge at Bridge Street and the first stage of Pulreneytown Harbour

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox57 View Post
    sorry trinkie was wrong as asked postman today ,that street which has only two houses,in it is called langley lane, still think there is a street in wick called hen st
    In the early years of the 20th century it was called Hen Street, a number of cottagers lived there and hens were prolific, this name lived on until more recent developments renamed it Langley Lane, I still prefer Hen Street

Anybody know who or what Leith Walk was named after
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by jock leith View Post
    Anybody know who or what Leith Walk was named after
    Provost Bessie Leith.

I have read the thread but cannot find any mention of Cairndhuna Terrace. Does anyone know where this name came from.

Quote Originally Posted by legolas View Post
    I have read the thread but cannot find any mention of Cairndhuna Terrace. Does anyone know where this name came from.
    I believe it was named for John Dunnett a resident of Grant Street and who in the first three decades of last century wrote a regular column and numerous articles in the Groat under the pen name "Cairndhuna." He was a weaver to trade and so highly regarded by all that when he died a pauper the folk of Pulteney clubbed together and erected his tombstone.

Quote Originally Posted by legolas View Post
    There's a sort of stack, or hill, at the South Head quarry, called Cairndhuna.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/re...et-xxv/os6inch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	26178  
    Last edited by sids; 13-Oct-14 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    There's a sort of stack, or hill, at the South Head quarry, called Cairndhuna.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/re...et-xxv/os6inch
    Usually translated roughly as the Hill of Man, there's also a Cairndhuna well which is where John Dunnett took his pen name

there's also a Cairndhuna well which is where John Dunnett took his pen name
    Yes, it's marked on the same map, very close to Cairndhuna and Cairndhuna Rock.

Great thread ! This guy is probably a good contender for Huddart Street. He surveyed harbours and coasts and was aquainted with Thomas Telford. He was also big in rope manufacture and so may have had something to do with the Ropeworks mentioned earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Huddart
    Last edited by Green_not_greed; 14-Oct-14 at 17:00.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Usually translated roughly as the Hill of Man, there's also a Cairndhuna well which is where John Dunnett took his pen name
    If he called himself "Cairndhuna," wouldn't he have taken that from Cairndhuna, rather than from the Cairndhuna Well?

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    Great thread ! This guy is probably a good contender for Huddart Street. He surveyed harbours and coasts and was aquainted with Thomas Telford. He was also big in rope manufacture and so may have had something to do with the Ropeworks mentioned earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Huddart
    That's the man, described as Captain Joseph Huddart, hydrographer and manufacturer of Patent Cordage, British Fisheries Society Shareholder; almost all the Pulteneytown streets are named after Office Bearers and shareholders of that Society

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    If he called himself "Cairndhuna," wouldn't he have taken that from Cairndhuna, rather than from the Cairndhuna Well?
    Quite right sids, I simply meant Cairndhuna, I worded it badly, apologies

apologies
    I say! No need to go over the top, old man.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast