Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Street Names

Default Wick Street Names

Do you know where your Street Name originated?

Who was the
    Smith of Smith Terrace?
    Nicolson of Nicolson Street,
    Huddart of Huddart Street - ( famous for Marine charts ??)
    Murchison
    Kinnaird
    Rutherford
    Henrietta
    Miller
    Dunbar
    etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Do you know where your Street Name originated?

Who was the
    Smith of Smith Terrace?
    Nicolson of Nicolson Street,
    Huddart of Huddart Street - ( famous for Marine charts ??)
    Murchison
    Kinnaird
    Rutherford
    Henrietta
    Miller
    Dunbar
    etc etc
    Another good one Trinkie - I wonder could the Smith be a link to William Smith the Boys Brigade founder. I know he was born in Thurso but it could be a County honour.
    The Dunbar possibly after the Duff Dunbars?
    Nicolson could be after John Nicolson of Canisbay who was a collector of Caithness antiquities.
    Once again born in Thurso, William Miller was a Free Church missionary of many honours, who was apparently, (quote) was one of the most inspiring men the county has ever produced.

I maybe quite wrong but it's fun to try.

LB

Smile Wick Street Names

I'm a Miller and I'm claiming Miller Street coz it was probably named after one of my ancestors so there...

Seriously, what an interesting subject for a post, our local street names, like a lot more in our lives are taken for granted by the vast majority of us.
    At a guess, as Pulteneytown was named after the British Fisheries Society chief director Sir William Pulteney, the rest of the street names may also have a similar type of connection.
    I look forward to being enlightened, for I am sure that there are Orgers who will have this information or will find it shortly.

Dusty.
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

This is a great topic!

Looking at my family history, I can see that while most of my relatives were crofters or farm servants, by the late 19th/early 20th century quite a few were living in Pultneytown.

When my Mum retired and moved back to Wick in the 1970s, she lived in Dempster Street, my aunt and uncle were not far away in Lower Dunbar Street. I wonder who lives in their houses now?

I shouldn't think there was anyone important or famous enough in my family to have a street named after them but it would be interesting to know where the names came from - I must say I find those obviously named after women (e.g. Henrietta Street) particularly interesting.

ok what about vansittart?
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    That's an unusual name isn't it, brandy?

I think I'll take a look at my family tree (I'd put it away for the summer) and maybe post some of the addresses my relations lived at -maybe some Orgers will be living there now or there again, perhaps the houses will have been demolished

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post

I wonder could this be a Dutch link - I am sure there was a trading link long ago - there certainly was with the flagstones because I think that's why there is a Rotterdam Street in Thurso..
    Do you know if we could find out the true origins of these street names both Wick and Thurso it would make a great booklet with interest for both locals and visitors alike.
    I would also like to see a booklet in memory of all the old shops we've been recalling - anybody from NOSN looking in?

LB

Default Vansittart street

Brandy, I have done a quick google - the peerage.com
    and it came up with Henry Vansittart the first and last Baron of Bexley.... interesting.
    He was a ship's captain.
    Someone will tell us if this is the guy !

Default Vansittart street

By the way Brandy, when I was young it used to be called Fancy Tart Street !!
    I was going to add that my grannie and her sisters lived there , but I dont think I'll bother now !

Does anyone know of Wick/Thurso street names with a connection to the Carribean? Sad as I am, I've seen a number of Caithnessian gravestones with mentions of the West Indies in the 18th century. I wonder if Wick had slave money to build the town?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I was sure I had read someplace locally that the streets in Pulteneytown were named after the members of the British Fisheries Society. The entry in Wikipedia (sub-heading Pulteneytown, under the main entry Wick) says:

As created by the British Fisheries Society, Pulteneytown consisted of Lower Pulteney and Upper Pulteney. Lower Pulteney was primarily a working area, built on a sandbank behind the harbour. Upper Pulteney was primarily a residential area, on higher ground. Street names in Upper Pulteney tend to be those of somewhat "upper class" individuals associated with the Fisheries Society, while Lower Pulteney street names tend to be more "lower class". Telford Street is in Lower Pulteney.

(link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick%2C_Highland)

So it might be interesting to have a look at the list of the names of the British Fisheries Society members . I haven't been able to find one, though. Anybody else know where it can be found?
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Default Street names

Rheghead - I dont know about your question, but there was a Black Man buried in Berriedale cemetery. I believe there's a corner left for 'strangers'
    Not that he was a Stranger for long. I understand he was brought over as a Freed Slave, to help with the Sheep as he was something of an expert. He later bought and ran Berriedale Inn.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know how Baron's Well got it's name ?

Love this topic. My grandfather was born in Barrogill St which I am lead to beleive was named after Barrogill Castle which is now Castle Mey belonged to the Queen Mother. Grandmother was born in Vansistart St they eat fancy cakes in that street hahaha. I was also told it was known as Fancy Tart Street prefer to say fancy cakes.

Other Street Names I am interested in
    Grant Street
    Macrae Street
    McArthur Street
    Breadabane Terrace
    Argyle Square
    Bank Row may speak for itself as it is near the harbour
    Just to name a few more all Putneytown.

Grant St was named afterCharles grant who was diector of the British Fisheries Society Likewise was the Earl of Breadalbane the Duke of Argylle
    Colin MacRae was the assistant secy of the Society MacArthur st I think was named after the Customs Officer at the time Miller St was named after Alexander Miller who was the first to get a lot in the New building of Pulteneytown Burn St was named after Burn the architect Dunbar St was named after Sir Benjamin Dunbar a member of the Societyas was George Dempster Hope that helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    Grant St was named afterCharles grant who was diector of the British Fisheries Society Likewise was the Earl of Breadalbane the Duke of Argylle
    Colin MacRae was the assistant secy of the Society MacArthur st I think was named after the Customs Officer at the time Miller St was named after Alexander Miller who was the first to get a lot in the New building of Pulteneytown Burn St was named after Burn the architect Dunbar St was named after Sir Benjamin Dunbar a member of the Societyas was George Dempster Hope that helps!!
    Thanks a lot Peter, that has helped me a lot, great to get such useful info.

Quite a lot of family history info has come my way today, all unexpected. I was going to put my Family Tree away over the summer, but this has sparked my interest again.

Thank you!

Whats the name of the shortest street in Wick?,I've forgotten its name but I do remember it was an interesting one.
    Great topic for a thread.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Default shortest street

Ebenezer place - at the end of Mackays hotel. Shortest street name taken from it a good few years ago as they had filled in the entrance door (think it had been a hat shop) so was no longer a street, but got it back now that ebenezers has its entrance on the street.

Default street names

Thank you so much Peter MacDonald....
    Now why Ebenezer......
    I think I came across a fishing boat in Clyth with that name around 1876.

i know mackays hotel was orig. owned by two sisters ( i think) wasnt it at one time called the temperance hotel? or was that another one?
    ebernezers place may be called that a shte bar was called ebenezers.. but dont know.. i use to work there.. the hotel has a good bit of history.
    the sisters were mackays and i think that when it was sold in was in condition that the family name mackay be kept.
    i may be speaking out my ear but i think that is right.. you hear so many things its hard to know whats right and whats not! any one can back me up?

also i know that vansittart st. has changed a lot.
    as my hubbys mum and dad bought houses here years ago.. but right after they bought them, the council decided to tear down the houses and rebuild.
    now what i dont understand is how they did this.
    i have the documents where the house was bought and everything..
    but some how the counicl had the power to tear down the houses and build new ones. they were given the choice of which house they wanted out of the new ones built, but they didnt own it and had to pay rent on it.
    my husband bought the house from the council in about 96ish.. and i know that he was born and raised in this house.
    i just cant figure out how the council could take private property away from someone.. and then make them pay rent on the new house!
    http://itqueries.com/

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast