Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sturgeon : TATA STeel Scotland

Default Sturgeon : TATA STeel Scotland

Not that Im an SNP voter but....Got to give credit where credits due, well done to sturgeon at least she is not looking the other way and trying to do something about the steel melt down

The Scottish Government is "determined to fight" for a future for the steel industry, the First Minister vowed as she announced a task force has been established after fears over job losses were confirmed. Nicola Sturgeon said the group would work to keep the Tata plants at Dalzell in Motherwell and Clydebridge in Cambuslang open.
    The company confirmed 270 jobs will be cut in Scotland and 900 jobs will go at its plant in Shorpe. The task force will meet for the first time next week and Ms Sturgeon will also visit both plants this Thursday to meet employees, unions and management.
    She said: "This is a very anxious time for Tata Steel employees and their families and is deeply concerning for everyone involved. "My Government is determined to fight for a future for our steel industry. "That is why I have established a Scottish Steel Task Force - to be chaired by my Business Minister Fergus Ewing - that will bring together all the key representatives to work to keep the Dalzell and Clydebridge plants open.

Genuinely well done !!!

I would not hold my breath on sturgeon lifting a finger to help the Scottish Steel industry
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Aye maybe's but at least effort is being articulated..we will see if its mere rhetoric but a task force is more than is happening south of the border eg Redcar etc......

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

She just doesn't want the headline

" Nicola Sturgeon the First Minister who allowed the destruction of the Scottish Steel Industry "

shes already fighting this one

" Nicola Sturgeon First Minister who oversaw collapse of the Scottish Oil Industry "

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Aye maybe's but at least effort is being articulated..we will see if its mere rhetoric but a task force is more than is happening south of the border eg Redcar etc......
    could more not have been done back when the contracts were being handed out for the new Forth Bridge ?

surely some of those steel (and cement) contracts could have stayed in Scotland ?

It must have occured to somebody somewhere that if all the building projects using steel in Great Britain were sourcing their steel from China or wherever, this was going to happen? This cannot have come as that much of a shock to whoever is shedding jobs from TATA, and Redcar. It's the same scenario we have here with local shops, if everybody bypasses them and gets all their shopping from Tesco's, then the local shops will suffer or close.