Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Calder/Baikie/Doull - Olrig

Post Calder/Baikie/Doull - Olrig

Looking for information on Jane Calder (born abt 1800 Thurso, died before the 1851 Census) who married William Baikie (born 1796 Cairston, Stromness) on 18th August 1836 Olrig, and had three children:
    Margaret b 1837 Olrig
    Alexander Calder b 1841 Olrig married Elizabeth Doull b 1849 Wick
    William b 1844 Olrig
    On the 1851 Census they lived in Castletown.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Look in FREECEN and you will find William and family in 1841 as a labourer at the stone works, 1851 At Sibmister Road. 1861 William 50 yrs stone cutter, wife Mary aged 39 ( obviously married again probably on 19/12/1851 ) and dau Margaret. Son William is a ploughman at Coulag and Alexander is a ploughman in Lyth, Barrock Mains. 1871 census - Wm is 60 and Mary 50 and live in the feuers houses in Castletown. William jnr is a farm servant in Dunnet, wife Ann, 21 and son Wm 9 months. Margaret married Donald Mackenzie 23/1/1867 and in 1871 census has a daughter Mary 3 yrs and a son William 1 yr. Alexander and his wife Elizabeth Doull went to South Ronaldsay in Orkney - I found Jane Calder Baikie born 24/8/1874 and Ann Manson Baikie born 5/9/1973 both in S Ronaldsay. I could not find a birth record for Jane Calder in Thurso and William's birth place in the census records is recorded as Olrig, not Orkney .

From the Olrig cemetery Plot 192: Margt Mackenzie 29.5.1917, 80, husband Donald Mackenzie 18.10.1911, 68. Mother Jane Baikie 5.8.1849, 38, father William Baikie 8.10.1901, 94, stepmother Mary Baikie 8.12.1904, 80.

Hope this is of help.

Rosemary

In the 1881 census, Alexander is the farm manager at Berridale in South Ronaldsay, William is the farm manager at Stiroke at Wick, together with his wife, kids andf father in law, William and wife Mary live in the feuers houses in Castletown and their g'daughter Margaret MAckenzie is also there.

I can email the census data to you if you contact me through a private message.

Rosemary

I found this info from southronaldsay web site.

Marriages

1893- PG.7 #14 / December --

Sinclair W. DREVER--[Knockhall] --
    -married-
    'Jeanie' Calder BAIKIE--['Berridale'] --

parents of groom: John DREVER/Jemima SINCLAIR --
    parents of bride: Alexander BAIKIE/Elizabeth DOULL --
    Witnesses: 'Wm.' C. BAIKIE, 'J.' DREVER.

1891- PG.4 #7 / May --

Alexander SINCLAIR--['Berridale'] --
    -married-
    'Annie' Manson BAIKIE--['Berridale'] --

parents of groom: Alexander SINCLAIR/Catherine LOUTTIT --
    parents of bride: Alexander BAIKIE/Elizabeth DOULL --
    Witnesses: Elizabeth ROSIE, {'W. C.'?} BAIKIE.

Death
    1886- PG.15 #43 --'Maggie' BAIKIE--['Berridale'/age 13 days] --
    {infant} --
    parents: Alexander BAIKIE/Elizabeth DOULL --
    Informant: 'A. BAIKIE', Father.