Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mouse: Optical or Roller? Pros and cons?

Default Mouse: Optical or Roller? Pros and cons?

I have just changed to an optical mouse but the cursor often jumps off screen and is hard to control. I never had this problem with roller ball types but they got gunged up with fluff etc.

Anyone got a solution to this jumping please?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Sounds like you're using it on an incompatible surface.

(Also what make is it ? I personally wouldn't use one that wasn't Logitech, and wireless (a matter of personal choice - I hate mice with cords, in fact I'm going right off mice altogether just at the moment for one reason or another!) - would recommend the Logitech MX-700 over any other mouse, including all their later models including the laser ones)

I had a friend who used his on a printed mouse mat (was a print of the bubbles in a pint of beer actually) and it did exactly what you described. Every time I used it I just moved the mat aside and used the wood desk surface instead and it was much better. He used to complain about it and used his mouse mat despite me telling him repeatedly that the mat was the problem. In the end I solved his problem buy buying him a new mouse mat

With optical mice you're better off with a fairly dark surface that doesn't reflect too much light around. I use an old dark brown leather place mat (for food) and it's fine. Perhaps try it on a large piece of a cardboard box.

There are other possible reasons for it being a pain but that's the first thing to suspect.

Thanks very much for your help emb123, I have a corded Technika mouse and I'm using a mat with 'The Kiss' by Gustav Klimt design on it. Probably not the most compatible design. I will try another surface, I didn't think that the pattern would affect it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Good luck! One surface that I also like to use with optical mice is those A4 semi-rigid cutting mats (I prefer the underside which doesn't have the ruled squares on). When they get grimy you can give them a good scrub with soapy water. Should last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I have just changed to an optical mouse but the cursor often jumps off screen and is hard to control. I never had this problem with roller ball types but they got gunged up with fluff etc.
    Non-lined surface for the mouse pad.

Having handled hundreds and hundreds of mice I would certainly agree that roller ball mice are a real pain for picking up fluff (or worse). I used to spend the first five minutes of fixing every computer scraping the rollers inside the mouse, pulling fluff out of the roller spindles, etc.

JimBews

Quote Originally Posted by jimbews View Post
    Non-lined surface for the mouse pad.

Having handled hundreds and hundreds of mice I would certainly agree that roller ball mice are a real pain for picking up fluff (or worse). I used to spend the first five minutes of fixing every computer scraping the rollers inside the mouse, pulling fluff out of the roller spindles, etc.

JimBews
    me too nasty horrible job that is! you go to some places to fix a pc and see the keyboard & mouse and imagine having to put your skin on them to handle them. ew! yeuch.

Most people will happily handle their keyboard and mouse whilst eating a sandwich or biscuits (myself included) and not think about the year or two of dried food and grime coating everything.

Apparently one of the most unknown of sources of germs is secondhand books, especially recipe books. Personally I think computer keyboards and mice left books behind years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post

Anyone got a solution to this jumping please?
    Best surface for an optical mouse is a sheet of plain white paper, nice and cheap too. I use a Razer Diamondback mouse which has a high (1600dpi) sensitivity and nice design, it's meant as a gaming mouse is perfect for everyday use.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by maidencaithness View Post
    Best surface for an optical mouse is a sheet of plain white paper, nice and cheap too. I use a Razer Diamondback mouse which has a high (1600dpi) sensitivity and nice design, it's meant as a gaming mouse is perfect for everyday use.
    I use a Wireless Embedded Laser Mouse, lot easier no cables, no problems with what surface you use.