Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sturgeon backtracks over room in her home for refugees

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Yes, I have been there- I worked in Leeds for 3 years and that (as you probably know), is not a million miles away. We also have family living in and around Rotherham- and they always have done and quite happy there.In answer to CPT, I try to do this each and every day- mainly by giving to the food bank and through my church in its outreach work. What do you do to help?
    See that's where I become uncomfortable surely charity is a private issue not one for competition or pressure being applied. All well and good that you do charity work but vicarious pressure is quite distasteful. It's up to each individual to choose the manner and method also quantity of charitable donations they make dependent on circumstances, not for pressure to be applied by another or the assumed halo in an attempt to shame the other into giving. Seems the charity sector isn't quite so charitable after all no wonder they will be legislated into reforming maybe religious organisations need reforms as well to stop them applying pressure to others.

Sorry, BT but I truly do not know where you are coming from on your post above. I was asked by CPT when I would start to give priority to people at home and tried to answer it- but I am not in a position to do very much and certainly admit that. I think that individual people can usually only do a little in reality but always glad to know of other ways and interested to discover what others do also.

Before you all start dismissing this because it is from The Daily Mail - this is all over the internet -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ees-learn.html

Obviously shocking and equally obviously totally wrong- why would anyone dismiss it?
    Also wrong is the 'social cleansing' in London (and other cities in the UK), where people who have always lived on an estate are forced out and evicted and made homeless so that their former homes can be bulldozed and replaced with new houses that the former residents can never hope to be able to afford. The latest of these is Sweets Way estate in Barnet. ('Sweets Way Resists'). These people are not, however, being forced out to re-home refugees but to provide homes for those wealthy enough to be able to make it onto the property ladder in London.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Obviously shocking and equally obviously totally wrong- why would anyone dismiss it?
    Also wrong is the 'social cleansing' in London (and other cities in the UK), where people who have always lived on an estate are forced out and evicted and made homeless so that their former homes can be bulldozed and replaced with new houses that the former residents can never hope to be able to afford. The latest of these is Sweets Way estate in Barnet. ('Sweets Way Resists'). These people are not, however, being forced out to re-home refugees but to provide homes for those wealthy enough to be able to make it onto the property ladder in London.
    People would dismiss it because it is The Daily Mail and according to them, they lie.

I can't afford to live where I grew up, but I haven't been socially cleansed, I just accept it.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

This sums it up quite nicely with the property portfolio owned by SNP MPs they could house all the refugees themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...P=share_btn_tw

This is a bit like closing the stable door once the horse has bolted -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34450887

Just a thought, has anyone asked these refugees if they want to come to Caithness? I know that previously, asylum seekers placed in accommodation in various parts of the UK tend to gravitate back to the south east of England. What is there for them here?

Quote Originally Posted by jo bowd View Post
    Just a thought, has anyone asked these refugees if they want to come to Caithness? I know that previously, asylum seekers placed in accommodation in various parts of the UK tend to gravitate back to the south east of England. What is there for them here?

Not sure about SE England, but this place is closer and speak their language has their culture, This is the tent city in Minerva all mod cons air conditioning etc, used for the annual pilgrimage it could be perfect to house them. The question is why not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mina2A.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	27862  
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123