Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: An asteroid

Default An asteroid

Right an asteroid is about to hit the earth.Sexy Jackie Bird has just announced it on Reporting Scotland whilst ye are watching the TV.Everybody has missed it,its came out of nowhere.Ye have been told that its gonnae hit in 2 hours whit wid ye do?

Me,get ma family together.Sit and blether about the times we've had and brew up some tea and a few choccie biscuits.We're all gonna have one big massive tea party.

P.S DON'T PANIC I'm only talkin hypothetical.Its only a Richard Burton moment when he read the War of the Worlds and everybody thought we'd been invaded by aliens.

wow - well it would take me about 12 hours to get up to caithness so i guess I wouldn't leave this would in the place I want to be......

....ok now i'm depressed
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Me, Wifie and the dogs down to the beach together with cool box and chilled bottles of Magners. The last two hours would be spent watching the waves come in and the dogs playing in the sand. There’s no where else on earth I would want to be, ‘cos I’m already here.

Default An asteroid

Gawd Cedric what a question, my first thought was to go around like a headless chicken lol
    second thoughts was phone my family, after that get my camera, walk up to highest hill with hubby, cats, dogs, and sit it out with a bottle of voddie, to picture the moment just incase i survive to post the pictures LOL

Cedric, as we are only talking hypothetically, then would two hours be long enough to launch an inter galactic tube of ‘Preparation H,’ and perhaps shrink the asteroid to a size which would no longer pose a threat to the survival of mankind? It’s only a thought but perhaps one which we should start considering now, I mean you just never know what’s round the next corner.

You mean an Orson Welles moment

I'd probably go outside, like I do during Tornadoes, if somethings going on I want to see it, forget the chit chat

I'm with Jeemag and North Rhins - down to the beach with my dog and a bottle or two and watch the end of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    You mean an Orson Welles moment

I'd probably go outside, like I do during Tornadoes, if somethings going on I want to see it, forget the chit chat
    Crap so it wis Jeemag,it was Orson Welles.Burton did the narration for the LP.....sorry wis too busy thinkin aboot the asteroid LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    Crap so it wis Jeemag,it was Orson Welles.Burton did the narration for the LP.....sorry wis too busy thinkin aboot the asteroid LOL
    Talking of that, that was one of the best LP's ever made, man I listend to that on vinyl so much I cut a groove through it! I have it on mp3 now! Still kicks donkey

I would watch my children play as they would know nothing of it.
    My heart would be breaking at the thought of us being seperated.
    My inner-self would absorb every single second.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Cedric, you've just reminded me that I once came very close to that situation.

It was a fine day in Spittal long before any windmills disturbed the peace and tranquillity of the Causey Mire and we were in a pen full of prime cheviot ewes and a long queue of sheep backed up in the race waiting to be injected or dosed or some such other procedure.

A jet had passed over a few minutes earlier and I was holding a large ewe trying to get the nossle of the worming gun past its teeth when suddenly out west towards Dounereay a large plume of dirty black smoke went up into the sky. Oh my God is that nuclear armageddon and the end of the world and what do you do with the rest of your short young life when you are in the middle of nowhere and the only living souls close by are a bunch of wild eyed and hard breathing cheviot ewes?

All sorts of thoughts race through your mind at such a moment but fortunately within a very short time a helicopter shot across the sky to pick up the pilot of a jet which had come down near Helshetter at the back of Reay.
    One of life's more enduring memories!

Nice ideas, guys. I'd love to think that at the final curtain, I'd be down the beach, drinking something highly alcoholic and expensive and enjoying a magnificent Caithness sunset ... However, given the inexorable nature of housework, I have a horrible feeling I'd still be doing the dishes, putting on another load of washing and searching for lost socks under the sofa right up until the final moment. I'd probably be so engrossed in the ironing I'd miss it all together.
    Asteroid? What Asteroid? Pass me the washing basket and fold up those tea towels, will ya?

I'd probably be doing something really stupid like sitting on the loo!
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Got to be like the others, outside, river or beach with my dogs, watching them playing and running !

I couldn't possibly print what I'd do!

Some nice ideas. Knowing the human mentality however, I picture Graham Begg's window being stoved in and punters making off with huge plasma tellies!!

Two hours wouldn't be enough time to be in the place I'd like to be (small Greek island I know very well and am very attached to)...
    but hopefully it would be long enough to have all my family gathered around, glasses in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Some nice ideas. Knowing the human mentality however, I picture Graham Begg's window being stoved in and punters making off with huge plasma tellies!!
    That would be no good to me, it would take me 2 hours to work out how to set one up.

Personally I like the trip down the beach with mrs rheg and a bottle of the finest wine and phone my mother and stuff. It reminds me of the touching scene in Deep Impact.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Well if you are going to witness the end of humanity you're going to need a nice set to watch it on.

I'd place my current pile of ironing (waiting to be done) at the point of impact and be lauded as the hero who saved earth because there's enough of the damn stuff to buffer an impact with Jupiter, never mind a wee stray asteroid. In all seriousness though, I'd probably join a lot of you up on a hilltop somewhere, wife and kids gathered round and enjoy the scenery one last time...
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson