Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Francis Brotchie b abt1767 Dunnet

Default Francis Brotchie b abt1767 Dunnet

Hi, trying to track down any records of Francis Brotchie, his parents and siblings. I know he joined the Northern Fencibles (Gordon Highlanders) in 1793 from Dunnet at the age of 26. He was a wee fella at just 5ft 3" height. He then travelled with them around the UK before ending up posted in Kirkcaldy until 1799 when they disbanded. He stayed in Kirkcaldy/Abbotshall and married Christian Marshell there in 1798 and had a son called John in 1799. Francis was an umbrella maker by trade, something I guess he learned while he was in Dunnet parish as he was advertising his business in 1799, immediately after he left the Fencibles. All subsequent generations after Francis are liberally scattered with John's, Francis's, Jean's ( sometimes recorded as Janet or Jane) and Frances's. I am guessing therefore that his parents/ grandparents may have been called John or Francis.Anyone know anything about Francis or if he might fit in another Brotchie family folk are researching? Alternatively any pointers as to where I might look next would be greatly appreciated ( I live in Thurso so can visit local spots) CheersJen

Hi Jen,

On my family tree I have a Christian Brotchie, born c1762 in Dunnet. Her parents were John Brotchie & Isobel Mentaplay. Christian married a John Robeson c1784. John was my 3xgreat granduncle, a son of James Robeson & Margaret Swanson. Any use to you?

HI Jen,
    I have a Christian Brotchie born. c. 1739 Married James Johnstone around 1764. They seem to be living in Dunnett.
    By the way - because it's an unusual surname you may like to know there was a William Brotchie in Sinclair St Thurso who died c 1950. Robert MacKay writes fondly about him in the Courier 1950.

Smile

Hi both,

I have a Brotchie connection - my grandfather (James Sinclair Angus)'s mother, Jessie Sinclair, had a sister, Jacobina Sinclair, who married a William Brotchie from Dunnet.

William was born in 1860, and was the captain of the schooner 'Jessie Sinclair', owned or part-owned by Jacobina's father, James Sinclair (1805 - 1879), of Rattar, Dunnet.

The 1871 census lists his family, in Dunnet, as follows:

David Brotchie, 42, head of family and farmer of 12 acres
    Jessie Brotchie, his wife, 45
    Children:
    Elizabeth 13
    William 10
    John 7
    Isabella 3

I've been unable, so far, to trace them further back so I don't know if they definitely tie in with Francis, but I would imagine that there can't have been too many Brotchies living in Dunnet so they must be related somehow.....

Perhaps they gave their name to the former Brotchies Steading in Dunnet
    https://canmore.org.uk/site/241635/d...chies-steading