Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Northern Lights - Wed night

Default Northern Lights - Wed night

I have just noticed the Aurora over Caithness - it is faint but clearly visible, hopefully the colours will get stronger later on

Been out to get the cat in and there is a green glow dancing in the sky.
    Phoned my parents to go out and look as they have better darkness than us(no street lights) to go see!
    The street lights in the village plus the outside lights some of the neighbours have are killing my night vision to get a good view
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Great show from Keiss, I only let the dogs out for a pee and WOW!!
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

We have a moonbow out by Bettyhill, it's amazing can even see some colours in it.

Thanks for that notice. I have finally seen them after nearly two years of living here. You Orgers are great !

I couldn't see them because of the flipping street lights!

We got energy saving lights fitted recently and they are sooooo bright!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I couldn't see them because of the flipping street lights!

We got energy saving lights fitted recently and they are sooooo bright!
    Same here, they are like giant spot lights !! I think I saw them, but I'm not sure it could just have been a cloud !

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Same here, they are like giant spot lights !! I think I saw them, but I'm not sure it could just have been a cloud !
    They are awful and one is right outside our house and my bedroom! Even with blackout blinds some light still gets through
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Just received alert from http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ saying their could be some Northern Lights tonight (Friday 11th Sept)

This is probably a silly question, but I have seen photos of the Northern Lights with some amazing colours, can you see them with the naked eye, or do you have to have a special camera to pick them up ?

see them easily with the naked eye but colours seem to be highlighted more when on time delays but when you are watching there is so much to watch you can hardly take it all in if it is a very active night so photography is way of watching it properly and you see things you missed and how much you missed although you thought you were watching it all

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    see them easily with the naked eye but colours seem to be highlighted more when on time delays but when you are watching there is so much to watch you can hardly take it all in if it is a very active night so photography is way of watching it properly and you see things you missed and how much you missed although you thought you were watching it all
    Thanks for that Pat, the next time there's word of them happening I will have to go somewhere without street lights, especially mine !!

If you are interested in night photography I found this youtube video useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kC1nKlIPU0 - I still cannot successfully photograph the night sky or the Northern Lights even though I did take nearly 200 pictures, not one of them was in focus and that was using a tripod. Hopefully I will manage to take good photographs of the night sky sometime soon!
    Below are some of my embarrassingly poor pictures of the Aurora from Sept 9th/10th, out of focus, sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northernlights1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	27625  
    Last edited by richardj; 12-Sep-15 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    If you are interested in night photography I found this youtube video useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kC1nKlIPU0 - I still cannot successfully photograph the night sky or the Northern Lights even though I did take nearly 200 pictures, not one of them was in focus and that was using a tripod. Hopefully I will manage to take good photographs of the night sky sometime soon!
    Below are some of my embarrassingly poor pictures of the Aurora from Sept 9th/10th, out of focus, sorry.

Don't put yourself down richardj, they are very good. You can see exactly what they are !