Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
I'm not convinced.

The assumption here seems to be that if they had done this the SNP would have won.

Also terms like "our lasting shame" shows the analysis is strongly influenced by the authors own political views and so not a unbiased assessment of the campaign.

40% or so were always going to vote yes. The same for no. That left 20% or so potentially open to influence to the campaigns.

I doubt enough of that 20% would have wanted a "completely different Scottish state" whether it had been offered to them or not. Many of them would rather fix any failings in the marriage rather than take the option of divorce.
I assume that SIllars is spelling out what should have been done and wasnt first time round and what needs to be done in any re run. He is right to highlight the plan b's and their dismissal. However, in terms of his forward planning, splits may well occur as yes of course he is adding his own political views which differ than that held by others within the party holding currently power...he is an elder stateman now so will be interesting to see what if any influence he will have .