Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Also Today

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Dear me, that's an awful thing you suffer from, I hope you are getting the help and support you deserve. Too many people come out the Armed Forces and are basically left by the wayside, which in itself is a crime after fighting for your country.
    I don't get any help or ask for any it's just one of those things and nothing will erase the memories all you can do is learn to live with them somehow. Certainly not worth wasting valuable resources on when people with cancer and other serious conditions can't get the treatment they require.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    I don't get any help or ask for any it's just one of those things and nothing will erase the memories all you can do is learn to live with them somehow. Certainly not worth wasting valuable resources on when people with cancer and other serious conditions can't get the treatment they require.
    You are quite right, nothing would or does erase the memories, I still have nightmares now, I wasn't in the Armed Forces but involved in an "incident" in 1983, and I relive that day when I smell something or hear something, it is truly awful. But you are as entitled as anybody else to seek treatment, no, it might not be cancer, but it can seriously affect your health.

Been there done that doesn't really change anything all you get is a lot of people waffling about stuff they've no experience of at you and even worse shed loads of pills which do no good.

Better off just enjoying life as much as possible and not dwelling on it.

Cant be easy though BT. It must be hard too for those refugees with PTSD who cant begin to enjoy their lives when they have been driven from their homes and cant find a place to settle because politicians arent able to get their act together.

As I've said before Squidge solve the cause not the effect.

Or are you suggesting that we leave the likes of Dayesh alone do nothing because it offends our liberal western sensibilities to actually do something constructive.

Maybe you're happy to have them continue beheadings, throwing homosexuals off roofs, stoning people to death, randomly shooting anyone who disagrees with them and causing mass migration of millions because all we want to do is sit on our hands and wring them at how terrible it is there are so many fleeing them.

What do you do once they've gained a stronger foothold in the Middle East and start to spread their terror further as we are already seeing on a limited scale to some extent.

If nothing else History has taught us appeasement doesn't work.

So once again instead of looking at the relatively small picture try looking at the big picture and throw out some suggestions of how we resolve the issues creating these problems.
    No doubt you'll come up with some self effacing non answer about how you can't have answers for everything, which means you don't want or like the answers to where it leads.

This is the difference between you and I.

I'd like nothing more than for these people to be able to live safely and securely in their own countries, free from terror and oppression.
    You seem happy to ignore that and just deal with them after they've been traumatised, raped, tortured and forced from their homelands.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 03-Sep-15 at 11:36.

Been there done that doesn't really change anything all you get is a lot of people waffling about stuff they've no experience of at you and even worse shed loads of pills which do no good.

Better off just enjoying life as much as possible and not dwelling on it.
    And you are quite right, I hope you don't think I was trying to compare what happened to me, happened to you. What I went through, you more than likely went through on a near daily basis, and I certainly don't want to take away the importance of anything you endured.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    And you are quite right, I hope you don't think I was trying to compare what happened to me, happened to you. What I went through, you more than likely went through on a near daily basis, and I certainly don't want to take away the importance of anything you endured.
    We are all different and experience things differently what I've experienced doesn't detract from your experiences in the slightest.

Thankfully my better half is understanding and let's me speak when I feel like it and leaves well alone when I'm not in the mood to.

For the most part I choose not to and just carry on enjoying the best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Yes i know - you told me - several times - and I am truly sorry that you had such awful experiences. However Aylan Kurdi was still three years old and he died in the cold sea because the EU cant get its act together to do what is right. Glad to see that Hungary is allowing the refugees to move on and get to a place where they are to be welcomed.
    Hundreds maybe even thousands of the said refugee/migrants have died in the Medeterainian this year so far, along with Hundreds rescued by British warships, but I did not notice you put up a song and dance like this before, what was wrong? Was it that above mentioned were nameless to the public.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

No mention of his 5yr old brother and mother also drowned whose names I doubt Squidge knows or has bothered to get all in a lather about.

Seems only a bit of sensationalism does the trick for Squidge.

And not very many generations ago that hundreds and hundreds of my kin left here in rotten ships bound for America and Canda because their lives had been destroyed by greed. And not to this day an apology or restitution made . Don't ever expect better from Westminster in this crisis than self interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    And not very many generations ago that hundreds and hundreds of my kin left here in rotten ships bound for America and Canda because their lives had been destroyed by greed. And not to this day an apology or restitution made . Don't ever expect better from Westminster in this crisis than self interest.
    I'm quite sure if you go far enough back in history most people's families have had abuse from other nations somewhere in the past. But playing the grievance card for things which happened a couple of centuries ago has absolutely nothing to do with the current immigration problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    And not to this day an apology or restitution made .
    Who is it you think should make that apology ? And who are they going to apologise to ? You said yourself this happened generations ago, there is nobody left alive that made the decisions which resulted in the Clearances, and there is nobody left alive that the Clearances directly impacted. You surely cannot hold people today, whether it be Westminster or Holyrood responsible and accountable for something that happened centuries ago.

Aylan had a brother and a mummy who died too his brothers name was Galip and his mummy was Rehan, His daddy Abdullah survived. Poor poor man. I am glad you want to know their names too BT

I am not sure what the tirade about Daesh has to do with helping these refugees

There is a convoy of aid going from Highland to connect with a ship in Newcastle on Sunday - if anyone has anything they want to donate then please PM me.
    Last edited by squidge; 03-Sep-15 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Aylan had a brother and a mummy who died too his brothers name was Galip and his mummy was Rehan, His daddy Abdullah survived. Poor poor man. I am glad you want to know their names too BTI am not sure what the tirade about Daesh has to do with helping these refugees There is a convoy of aid going from Highland to connect with a ship in Newcastle on Sunday - if anyone has anything they want to donate then please PM me.
    So you don't understand what Dayesh has to do with the refugees....hmmm do you actually understand what's creating the problem or do you think it's just occurring for no particular reason.

Do you fail to understand who these people are fleeing from.

Stop the fighting and terrorism people no longer have a reason to flee their country.

About time the U.N actually started to do the job it was created for.

Why not publicly state where the collection points are for these donations Squidge instead of trying to be the only conduit if it's that much of a concern people should be able to donate freely not have to constantly PM you.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 03-Sep-15 at 14:27.

As I've said before Squidge solve the cause not the effect.

Or are you suggesting that we leave the likes of Dayesh alone do nothing because it offends our liberal western sensibilities to actually do something constructive.

Maybe you're happy to have them continue beheadings, throwing homosexuals off roofs, stoning people to death, randomly shooting anyone who disagrees with them and causing mass migration of millions because all we want to do is sit on our hands and wring them at how terrible it is there are so many fleeing them.

What do you do once they've gained a stronger foothold in the Middle East and start to spread their terror further as we are already seeing on a limited scale to some extent.

If nothing else History has taught us appeasement doesn't work.

So once again instead of looking at the relatively small picture try looking at the big picture and throw out some suggestions of how we resolve the issues creating these problems.
    No doubt you'll come up with some self effacing non answer about how you can't have answers for everything, which means you don't want or like the answers to where it leads.

This is the difference between you and I.

I'd like nothing more than for these people to be able to live safely and securely in their own countries, free from terror and oppression.
    You seem happy to ignore that and just deal with them after they've been traumatised, raped, tortured and forced from their homelands.
    Its a tough one isnt it, what you say is very well put and 100% correct, to my simple mind there can only be 2 solutions, regime change ( but its both the regime / civil war and the religous zealots collectively that perpetrate the terror, so thats out...also the wests track record of regime change centres around oil / wealth not people ) ) or accept that things cant be changed, the civil war goes on and religous zealouts terrorise people. People are fleeing for their lives in the biggest population displacement since WW2 ( 4 million have fled Syria ), this issue wont go away. The majority of refugees initially fled to Turkey Jordan and Lebanon, obviously some on route to europe, Germany being the preferred choice for most (supporters in a number of German football stadiums unfurled banners last week end saying "Refugees welcome"...so their plight resonates with ordinary Germans !!!!!) But surely Syrias rich arab neighbours ie Saudia Arabia, Kuwait Oman etc can help out here and take in refugees, as it stands theyre doing nothing and not getting any heat either. So a pan EU / Middle East solution is required...surely, as this wont go away. I cannot see it though, Middle East oil rich states will turn their cheeks, the UK seems out of step with most european countries.....hell even Iceland has apparently offered to take in 12,000 refugees.

for anyone who wishes to donate to refugee aid see https://www.mercycorps.org/donate/syria and also http://www.mercycorps.org/articles/t...t-syria-crisis very informative site on the crisis

It's understanding the Middle eastern problem more in depth. It's about the Sunni/ Shia problem and Wahabbism all thrown in the pot and who is actually funding the different factions at each other throat.

You're quite right military intervention by western countries wouldn't solve the issue just inflame tensions and quite probably some pan Arab/EU solution may well be the way forward.

Although I suspect it won't be long before Iran starts to do more now it's being brought in from the cold by the west.
    It's probably has the largest military presence in the area and is no lover of the various groups fighting in Syria/ Libya.

But if they are unleashed you'd then have major tensions with Israel,Saudi and some other countries.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 03-Sep-15 at 14:35.

It's understanding the Middle eastern problem more in depth. It's about the Sunni/ Shia problem and Wahabbism all thrown in the pot and who is actually funding the different factions at each other throat. You're quite right military intervention by western countries wouldn't solve the issue just inflame tensions and quite probably some pan Arab/EU solution may well be the way forward. Although I suspect it won't be long before Iran starts to do more now it's being brought in from the cold by the west. It's probably has the largest military presence in the area and is no lover of the various groups fighting in Syria/ Libya. But if they are unleashed you'd then have major tensions with Israel,Saudi and some other countries.
    Your well clued up on middle east geo politics....tribal hatred etc. Iran...a "Black Swan"......can cause economic havoc ie US sanctions are in process of being lifted, which means Iran can flood the market with more oil....lowers prices even more.....this hits the Saudis who are living off oil reserve money / stash whilst the oil price is low, but that cannot go on indefinitly, apparently the Koran refers to the black sand that enriches the middle east will eventually destroy it....or something along that lines. Have you heard of this ??

For those of you unfamiliar but interested in the various branches of Islam and main differences this may help.

http://contenderministries.org/islam/divisions.php

While I don't claim to know the background as to why thousands of people are fleeing Syria, what I really don't understand is why so many people (as reported on the news) are desperately trying to get there from this country. And that includes entire families, if the conditions are that horrendous, why would anybody inflict that on their children?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast