Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Also Today

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Ok so I assume all those people leaving Syria. Libya Darfur are being attacked by chocolate & peanuts. This has to be the most bury your head in the sand ignore the realities posts so far.

By someone who has absolutely no clue about Islam and they type of religion it can be.

HirJah requires no violence it simply requires a mass of people to move by any means possible
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 09-Sep-15 at 07:43.

A wee bit off topic but Squidge #194 cannot be allowed to burble such nonsense, quote: “social housing isn't free - the vast majority of people living in social housing work and pay rent. In fact if you work and live in social housing - going in now as a tenant paying £50 a week for your whole life - say 50 years then you will likely pay around £130 000.”
    That’s terrible paying £130,00 over a lifetime! I notice she is renting.. as anyone knows - apart from squidge- -who’s got a mortgage it’s a wee bit more, say for example in todays world buying a house for £130,000 will cost in total £184,911 paying £400 a month - that includes interest.
    True example; my Son purchased a house in Wilson Street, Thurso, on a mortgage.
    Other houses in that street were social housing. Four months later, every social housing property had all their windows freely replaced at a cost of c£3,500. I own my own house and have replaced my own windows at great cost, my roof needed repairing after January’s storm, My boiler system has been replaced at cost to me whilst not one mile away a social housing friend has had her whole system replaced for free by the council. So come on Squidge, stop spouting nonsense.

Anyway back to the Refugees/Migrants…
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    A wee bit off topic but Squidge #194 cannot be allowed to burble such nonsense, quote: “social housing isn't free - the vast majority of people living in social housing work and pay rent. In fact if you work and live in social housing - going in now as a tenant paying £50 a week for your whole life - say 50 years then you will likely pay around £130 000.”
    That’s terrible paying £130,00 over a lifetime! I notice she is renting.. as anyone knows - apart from squidge- -who’s got a mortgage it’s a wee bit more, say for example in todays world buying a house for £130,000 will cost in total £184,911 paying £400 a month - that includes interest.
    True example; my Son purchased a house in Wilson Street, Thurso, on a mortgage.
    Other houses in that street were social housing. Four months later, every social housing property had all their windows freely replaced at a cost of c£3,500. I own my own house and have replaced my own windows at great cost, my roof needed repairing after January’s storm, My boiler system has been replaced at cost to me whilst not one mile away a social housing friend has had her whole system replaced for free by the council. So come on Squidge, stop spouting nonsense.

Anyway back to the Refugees/Migrants…
    I'm in social housing, paying about £70 per week rent...

So, over the life of an average motgage of 25 years I would have paid about £84000 in rent for a house worth less than £50000 & would still have to continue paying rent...

So, extrapulating from your figures, a £50000 would cost in total abot £71000, a saving of £13000 with no more to pay once paid.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    I'm in social housing, paying about £70 per week rent...

So, over the life of an average motgage of 25 years I would have paid about £84000 in rent for a house worth less than £50000 & would still have to continue paying rent...

So, extrapulating from your figures, a £50000 would cost in total abot £71000, a saving of £13000 with no more to pay once paid.
    Most 25 year mortgages result in a payback of 2.1 times the amount borrowed. So on your £50,000 property you would pay £105,000.

Add the maintenance costs, say £1000 a year for heating repairs, new windows etc and the total cost would probably be £130,000 for the £50,000 property.

Inflation and appreciation/depreciation would obviously skew these figures.

The big advantage of social housing, for me, is the knowledge that any repairs are at the cost of the council/housing association and knowing if I lose my job I don't lose my house.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Dunno what the hell is going on on here re social housing........when I was growing up in the 60's in Leith Walk Wick.... everyone I knew lived in a council house, ie paying rent to the council. Our street had GPO managers, electricans, an accountant, a teacher, trademen, dounreay workers fishermen etc etc Back then the vast majority of people didnt buy houses, taking on a mortgage wasnt for the working classes. So....did we all live in subsidised housing...... we all paid rents set by the council or were evicted....and why did the council build houses....could it be that what housing existed in Wick in the so called private sector was nothing but slums ???? Nowadays councils dont build houses do they...so social enterprises like Albyn and Cairn etc do...and why...because believe it or not some people cannot afford to buy / take on mortgages thats why. ALso fills in gaps in poor private sector provision....so stop the social housing stigma its pathetic.

From a former Leith Walker brought up in a council house....and proud of it.

I grew up in what we called a Corporation house, my mother grew up in the same house, and I was actually born there. My parents still live in the house ! It has been in our family since the early 1930's. Let's just say, thanks to the stigma of living in social housing, my school years were not the best, as I lived in what would be classed as an affluent area. Certainly, I bought a house in the 1990's, my (now ex) husband disappeared left me with two children and a mortgage (in Kent), he was supposedly paying half the mortgage, I didn't find out for nearly a year he had not been (he was first named), so tried to sell the house, but was stuck in negative equity, long story short the house was repossessed, because I could not pay the arrears and feed my children, so I am now in what you term as social housing. Myself and my partner did look at buying a house, but because of what happened to me, which was nothing to do with him, he was not allowed a mortgage, I am a liability, through no fault of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I grew up in what we called a Corporation house, my mother grew up in the same house, and I was actually born there. My parents still live in the house ! It has been in our family since the early 1930's. Let's just say, thanks to the stigma of living in social housing, my school years were not the best, as I lived in what would be classed as an affluent area. Certainly, I bought a house in the 1990's, my (now ex) husband disappeared left me with two children and a mortgage (in Kent), he was supposedly paying half the mortgage, I didn't find out for nearly a year he had not been (he was first named), so tried to sell the house, but was stuck in negative equity, long story short the house was repossessed, because I could not pay the arrears and feed my children, so I am now in what you term as social housing. Myself and my partner did look at buying a house, but because of what happened to me, which was nothing to do with him, he was not allowed a mortgage, I am a liability, through no fault of my own.
    Thats terrible......point Im making is that there is nothing wrong with council / corporation / social housing, they all served and serve a purpose, we had no stigma growing up, as there was loads more council housing than privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Thats terrible......point Im making is that there is nothing wrong with council / corporation / social housing, they all served and serve a purpose, we had no stigma growing up, as there was loads more council housing than privately owned.
    I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with social housing, and I hope it didn't come across as that. I was just making the point that there is an awful lot of people have no choice but to live in social housing.

I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with social housing, and I hope it didn't come across as that. I was just making the point that there is an awful lot of people have no choice but to live in social housing.
    no and I totally agree with you !

Hey, nothing wrong with living in a Council House, I was born in one and later lived in another for 11 years before buying it.. Thanks 'theone' #204 for pointing out the obvious to others who may have well missed the point..
    I see yesterday - the Inverness Courier - that he Highland Council states there are 10,000 on the 'Housing List' in the Highlands, so (getting back on track) where the hell is Sturgeon going to put all these refugees/migrants she wants to welcome to Scotland, What's Fife's waiting List? c15,238.. et el.

Hey, nothing wrong with living in a Council House, I was born in one and later lived in another for 11 years before buying it.. Thanks 'theone' #204 for pointing out the obvious to others who may have well missed the point..
    I see yesterday - the Inverness Courier - that he Highland Council states there are 10,000 on the 'Housing List' in the Highlands, so (getting back on track) where the hell is Sturgeon going to put all these refugees/migrants she wants to welcome to Scotland, What's Fife's waiting List? c15,238.. et el.
    I don't know but this is in The Caithness Courier today -

"REFUGEES should be welcomed to Caithness to benefit services and fill jobs in the county as well as giving them somethwhere to start a new life. That is the message from Thurso Highland councillor, Roger Saxon, who has given his support to a petition calling on more people to the be allowed into the UK after being forced to fleew their homeland."

"REFUGEES should be welcomed to Caithness to benefit services and fill jobs in the county as well as giving them somethwhere to start a new life. That is the message from Thurso Highland councillor, Roger Saxon, who has given his support to a petition calling on more people to the be allowed into the UK after being forced to fleew their homeland."
    Oh him;
    "And remember that Roger Saxon voted against ASDA in Thurso when they were members of the last Highland Council" (ta crayola).. Oh well Highland Council must be wrong then!

Oh him;
    "And remember that Roger Saxon voted against ASDA in Thurso when they were members of the last Highland Council" (ta crayola).. Oh well Highland Council must be wrong then!
    I didn't know that, actually I didn't know Asda had even attempted to come here. Why would people vote against Asda?

I didn't know that, actually I didn't know Asda had even attempted to come here. Why would people vote against Asda?
    Started years Org Thread: "Tesco Dancing on Asda's grave at the mart in Thurso" went on for years and years and years..

Started years Org Thread: "Tesco Dancing on Asda's grave at the mart in Thurso" went on for years and years and years..
    Of course, I remember seeing that now, but it all seemed to be about whether Tesco was going to build behind the train station, or not as it turned out. I didn't realise Asda had tried to get there. That's a shame, now they are left with nothing on that site.

Does Councillor Saxon know something we dont.....what jobs / where ? Sounds like another politician jumping on the current flavour of the month...... demonstrating "sympathy" ...with lots of hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Does Councillor Saxon know something we dont.....what jobs / where ? Sounds like another politician jumping on the current flavour of the month...... demonstrating "sympathy" ...with lots of hot air.
    I was wondering as well what the services were they would be benefiting from. It's certainly not the NHS which is getting to the stage it's practically non existent.

Realistically, refugees can be housed in disused RAF / Army barracks ie Kinloss etc, as like you say, there is very little spare housing capacity in Scotland, or alternatively camps can be built...the types quickly erected for large projects ie Kishorn...workers camp there housed 1,000 plus at its height. All this house a refugee stuff is nonsense, as is we can take x thousands....as you said where exactly are they going to stay...only in areas with available surplus housing...western isles have expressed interest theyve surplus....if we are to progress anything meaninful then the reality of housing and capacity has to come into the equation....other wise its all well intended hot air.

I was wondering as well what the services were they would be benefiting from. It's certainly not the NHS which is getting to the stage it's practically non existent.
    AYe I didnt want to pass any comment on the "benifit services" part of the quote as its total nonsense and meaningless......

This url from BBC news is very interesting.....spells out why its to Germanys economic advantage to "welcome" asylum seekers, basically Germanys population is aging and falling, so need for new blood....interestingly Merkles strategy has been open to accusation of creaming off the most talented ( ie skilled ) refugees
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34172729

Still a pressing need for on the ground action by the EU as a whole and the UK......ie dealing with specifics....agreed amounts of asylum seekers, the dispersal and housing of them now / asap......and prevent ghettos being created...over concentration of asylum seekers in areas....the need for dispersal ( and integration ) raises key question on where the availble housing is / how housing will be tackled etc etc ALso good to see genuine cross party cooperation in attack over government inaction / limited responses.....
    Last edited by rob murray; 09-Sep-15 at 16:10.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast