Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Brittish Pride.

Default Brittish Pride.

Recommended reading; The Blood Never Dried by John Newsinger. No-one could ever say again that they were proud to be Brittish.

I see John Newsinger is a British Marxist, so he's biased to hell to start with - just the usual hatrid
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Oh my eyes are opened - such shame I should feel that in India we interfered with such rich local customs as widow-burning, child-killing and thugee, and that in Africa we viciously stopped the endless tribal warfare and brought western ideas of prosperity in place of the natural cycle of subsistence farming, famine and massacre. In the Americas we dared to interfere with a Stone Age society. When I think of all those wars of pacification we fought: fancy bringing peace to places that had been contently in a constant circle of genocidal wars for centuries! As for stopping age-old trade on the east coast of Africa - what are the Arabs to do for slaves now? I think too of the Industrial Revolution, global trade, worldwide prosperity - Adam Smith of Kirkcaldy should be ashamed that his ideas lifted billions out of misery. Had we not introduced into native cultures our eccentric notions of the value of the individual, they would feel no guilt at slaughtering their neighbours, and no resentment when we imposed a sharp corrective. What have we done?

Thank Heavens there weren't any Scottish people involved, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    No-one could ever say again that they were proud to be Brittish.

No, I certainly cannot say I am proud to be Brittish, what I can say is, I am very proud indeed to be British. I always thought the education system was good in Scotland, in your case, education seems to have passed you by.

I am proud to be British and proud to have been born in Caithness
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I don't think the native Australians would agree with much of your comments, or any other invaded people. Britain built an empire purely for greed and I mean Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post
    Oh my eyes are opened - such shame I should feel that in India we interfered with such rich local customs as widow-burning, child-killing and thugee, and that in Africa we viciously stopped the endless tribal warfare and brought western ideas of prosperity in place of the natural cycle of subsistence farming, famine and massacre. In the Americas we dared to interfere with a Stone Age society. When I think of all those wars of pacification we fought: fancy bringing peace to places that had been contently in a constant circle of genocidal wars for centuries! As for stopping age-old trade on the east coast of Africa - what are the Arabs to do for slaves now? I think too of the Industrial Revolution, global trade, worldwide prosperity - Adam Smith of Kirkcaldy should be ashamed that his ideas lifted billions out of misery. Had we not introduced into native cultures our eccentric notions of the value of the individual, they would feel no guilt at slaughtering their neighbours, and no resentment when we imposed a sharp corrective. What have we done?

Ive no idea what piratelassie is whinging about: She is BRITISH whether she likes it or not; British: "Relating to Great Britain or the United Kingdom, or to its people or language." OR "of the British Commonwealth or (formerly) the British Empire. You can't decide, nah don't want to be British, of course you can be English, Scottish whatever but one is STILL British.. Of course if one is unlucky enough to be born outside this Sceptred Isle, you are not, but no amount of foot stamping will make one jot of difference

I am proud to be British and to have been educated in a British school. Where were you taught the English language Piratelassie? Couldn't have possibly been a British school with your spelling and grammar. Ah, wait a minute, were you too busy learning SNP propaganda to get the basics of the English language?

briten is boken me no ppoud

Please try to spell correctly piratelassie
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Do you mean 'no pound' as in £? how are you 'boken' [broken]? I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Do you mean 'no pound' as in £? how are you 'boken' [broken]? I'm confused
    She'll boke a few times today, before her hangover clears!