Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Andrew Geddes b. abt. 1735 Occumster/Mid Clyth

Default Andrew Geddes b. abt. 1735 Occumster/Mid Clyth

I have a Mary MacRorrie born 1804 at Perth. Daughter of Alexander MacRorrie, soldier in the Perthshire Militia and Elizabeth Geddes. Alexander married Elizabeth May 31, 1803 at Perth. On their marriage certificate it says Elizabeth Geddes is the daughter of the late Andrew, labourer. I could find only one other child born to Alexander and Elizabeth, a daughter, Elizabeth MacRorrie b. 1808 in Perth. On a search for OPR records I found only one Elizabeth born to an Andrew Geddes. Baptism was September 1758. Record says, "Andrew Geddes in Occumster had a child baptised named Elizabeth. Witnesses James Sutherland in Roster and John Geddes in Occumster". I could find 8 other children of Andrew. Helen b.1755, David b. 1756, James b. 1761, Marjory b. 1762, William b. 1764, Jean b. 1769, John b. 1773, Henrita b. 1778. All born at Occumster or Mid Clyth in Latheron Parish. No mother is listed in any of the records. Wondered if anyone has any of these Latheron Geddes in their family tree? I am unsure if my Elizabeth Geddes is the daughter of this Andrew from Occumster and am trying to establish this connection. Also, does anyone have any insight regards whether the baptism witnesses are likely always family members during this period of time or is it possible James Sutherland was a family friend etc. ? Thanks in advance.

I have an interest in this family, principally because Jean, b 1769, I believe married Alexander Bain in Thurso in 1792 and is the mother of Andrew Geddes Bain who went to South Africa in 1815 with his soldier uncle William, and became famous in the fields of road building and geology in that country. Andrew and his son built many of the mountain passes between the Cape Colony and the interior which opened up the country to development. I previously believed that Jean and her husband both died inthe early 1800s but I now have reason to believe that they may have moved to Edinburgh.
    William married and lived in Edinburgh but was a Lt. Col in the British Army and served in South Africa and in Ceylon where he died at Trincomalee in 1821 aged 58. Henrietta was a spinster and died in Edinburgh in 1879 aged 80. Her death was registered by William's daughter and Henrietta and William are both commemorated on her gravestone in Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. This was the only Geddes family in Caithness which I could find which fitted these names and dates.
    spittalhill

How interesting - my daughter is just back from South Africa where she and her family toured around and did a lot of driving on what she said were Wonderful roads. They also did a Guided Tour of Cape Town where the Guide spoke so highly of Andrew Geddes Bain and the great works he had done there. They were very proud of him. Good luck with your family search.
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by spittalhill View Post
    I have an interest in this family, principally because Jean, b 1769, I believe married Alexander Bain in Thurso in 1792 and is the mother of Andrew Geddes Bain who went to South Africa in 1815 with his soldier uncle William, and became famous in the fields of road building and geology in that country. Andrew and his son built many of the mountain passes between the Cape Colony and the interior which opened up the country to development. I previously believed that Jean and her husband both died inthe early 1800s but I now have reason to believe that they may have moved to Edinburgh. William married and lived in Edinburgh but was a Lt. Col in the British Army and served in South Africa and in Ceylon where he died at Trincomalee in 1821 aged 58. Henrietta was a spinster and died in Edinburgh in 1879 aged 80. Her death was registered by William's daughter and Henrietta and William are both commemorated on her gravestone in Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. This was the only Geddes family in Caithness which I could find which fitted these names and dates.
    Thanks for that that info. I hadn't looked into the siblings very far yet. Although this is my next step to figure out how my Elizabeth Geddes ended up in Perth. I believe the Alexander MacRorrie she married was from Inverness way but, have had even further struggle nailing down his parents. I take Jean is a direct ancestor of yours? Have you DNA tested by chance? Perhaps we could compare kits if so. Did you ever find a wife of Andrew Geddes? And the Henrietta you speak of .. are you referring to Jeans younger sister? Thanks.

Yes. Henrietta was Jean's sister.
    spittalhill