Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaelic Rebranding of Police Scotland Helicopters

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I imagine it's because Polish is the indigenous language of Poland.
    But Gaelic is not the indigenous language of Scotland, I am not confused
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I have to admit I'm coming round to the idea of a Scotland that never forgets it's past and respects other people for what they are.
    Just to say, that's where History plays a big part in schools, but I still say you don't have to learn another language to appreciate your heritage and history. To do that you would have to learn an awful lot of languages and learn different dialects, if you really want to embrace your past.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Just to say, that's where History plays a big part in schools, but I still say you don't have to learn another language to appreciate your heritage and history. To do that you would have to learn an awful lot of languages and learn different dialects, if you really want to embrace your past.

Have you had a wee look at the Gaelic Language Act 2005?
    Note the bit where it says Gaelic shall become an official language of Scotland and shall command equal respect to English.
    Would you agree that gives the Gaelic language a certain authority in Scotland?
    That Act of Parliament was passed by a Scottish unionist government long before the SNP challenged the cultural identities of the British Nationalists in our midst.
    Do you agree with Mr Together that anyone who thinks the Gaelic language Act is a good idea are numpties with a petty ideology?
    The Gaelic language act has nothing to do with the SNP it's about Scotland.
    There are still large pockets of native Gaelic speakers in Scotland. Many of the older ones were punished for talking their native language. They had to speak in whispers to avoid persecution. The Gaelic language act's about servicing an injustice.

Have you had a wee look at the Gaelic Language Act 2005?

No I haven't.

Note the bit where it says Gaelic shall become an official language of Scotland and shall command equal respect to English.
    Would you agree that gives the Gaelic language a certain authority in Scotland?

Not enough to be forced on anybody.

That Act of Parliament was passed by a Scottish unionist government long before the SNP challenged the cultural identities of the British Nationalists in our midst.
    Do you agree with Mr Together that anyone who thinks the Gaelic language Act is a good idea are numpties with a petty ideology?

I don't call anybody names.

The Gaelic language act has nothing to do with the SNP it's about Scotland.
    There are still large pockets of native Gaelic speakers in Scotland. Many of the older ones were punished for talking their native language. They had to speak in whispers to avoid persecution. The Gaelic language act's about servicing an injustice.
    If it was that popular and readily seen as the official language of Scotland, then it would not need an act of Parliament, it would be accepted and not forced on us. Look at what I wrote about my specific history (Angus) Where I come from we do not recognise Gaelic as the official language of Scotland.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Gaelic the official language of Scotland what absolute and utter keich !

Now now behave yourselves. I am quite happy to engage you as long as your respectful.

What you have to realise Gleeber is, if you were brought up in this area, chances are your Parents or Grandparents maybe spoke Gaelic, I don't know but you probably knew or know people that spoke or still speak Gaelic. I am 52, and I have never come across anybody that speaks Gaelic, and that includes since I moved to this area six years ago, now, in this area maybe they can but just don't. Again if you were born and brought up in this area, you are deemed a Highlander, I am deemed a Lowlander and there is a world of difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    What you have to realise Gleeber is, if you were brought up in this area, chances are your Parents or Grandparents maybe spoke Gaelic, I don't know but you probably knew or know people that spoke or still speak Gaelic. I am 52, and I have never come across anybody that speaks Gaelic, and that includes since I moved to this area six years ago, now, in this area maybe they can but just don't. Again if you were born and brought up in this area, you are deemed a Highlander, I am deemed a Lowlander and there is a world of difference between the two.
    I'm not a highlander I'm a Gleeber.

I think the lack of knowledge shown on here about Gaelic and it's place in a modern Scotland is a symptom of the age we live in.
    We've had this debate often on the org and I've learnt a lot from it. Maybe you
    should read the Gaelic Act and get back to me.

I had a look at this 2005 act, this is a paragraph from Wikipedia -

"Scottish Gaelic is not an official language of the European Union or the United Kingdom. However, it is classed as an Indigenous Language under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which the British government has ratified, and the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act 2005 established a language development body, Bòrd na Gàidhlig, "with a view to securing the status of the Gaelic language as an official language of Scotland."

Now, I'm no expert but "with a view to securing the status" suggests to me Gaelic is not the official language of Scotland. I don't know what they have to do to secure the status mind you, maybe another act of Parliament.

I'm not a highlander I'm a Gleeber.

I think the lack of knowledge shown on here about Gaelic and it's place in a modern Scotland is a symptom of the age we live in.
    We've had this debate often on the org and I've learnt a lot from it. Maybe you
    should read the Gaelic Act and get back to me.
    I have no idea what a Gleeber is, I don't do slang I'm afraid.

Probably there is a reason for a lack of knowledge about Gaelic, there is very little interest in it. Hence the need for the Gaelic Act.

Maybe you should read the Gaelic Act and get back to me.
    I got back to you.

You still haven't read the Gaelic act. You'll find it on the Scottish government website.

You still haven't read the Gaelic act. You'll find it on the Scottish government website.
    It says pretty much the same as Wikipedia, I honestly don't know what you want me to say. I do not know what point you are trying to make.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12