Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Thirsa Piccys

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

Two piccys folks for your viewing pleasure one of Andersons Ironmongers and one of Shore Street.

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 30-Jan-11 at 11:02.

Default Old Thirsa Piccys

Fantastic keep them coming, love seeing this old photos.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thumbs up

Thanks so much once again, thirsaloon! I too love seeing old photos from past eras! Do you have any dates for these, and do you have more to share with us, please?
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Default Andersons and Shore Street info

Andersons the Ironmongers photograph was taken in 1911. The building was built as the first Masonic Lodge. It was said to be the most modern building of its time during construction of the newly laid out Traill Street, part of Sir John Sinclair’s plan for the new town of Thurso. The foundation stone was laid in 1808 and the building opened in 1810. It was later used as the Town Hall for a period.

The Shore Street photograph was taken around 1912. In the distance you will see the horse and cart which has a huge load on it. The Turnpike has a date stone on it with 1686 and a marriage stone with the initials D.W.K.R. This means that someone with the initials D.W. married someone with the initials K.R. There are a few of them around the town, like at the corners of Jessie Allan’s shop etc (I know it has a new name but I have yet to re-program my brain to accept it!). Always worth looking up rather than straight ahead or down, it’s surprising what’s there is to be seen!

Bt the way, did you notice the signwriting to the left of the middle window advertising "ammunition" for sale. There is a door upstairs which has from memory "ammunition room" or "artillery room" painted on the door and its still there yet.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Jun-07 at 15:58.

Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

Seen these pictures of old Thurso, and in this week that the Viewfirth has been consigned to the quarry in the sky, thought I'd put this pick up

It is a scan of a picture that my grandfather had, but shows the place in its granduer.

Default Thurso Castle

Attached below are two photographs of Thurso Castle. This is the 3rd castle which was built at Thurso East. And the forth to have been built in Thurso.
    Work on the castle in the photo's below was carried out between 1874 and 1876 when the previous castle was renovated by Sir Tollemache Sinclair.

The tower was 8 floors and 100 feet high but the founds were made for taking an tower 40 feet high therefore it was never going to last. By 1914 the tower had already started to lean and it was evacuated. Then a sea mine was washed ashore exploding, blowing out some of the windows. Although it was thought no structural damage was done. The castle then had to be abandoned in 1951 and the roof was removed the following year.

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:39.

Default Thirsa Shoppies!

Another two piccys from 1911. Attached are photographs of W & G Dunnet cycle shop (where Mac Mowat served his apprenticeship) later to become Dunnets Garage and just along the road a wee bit was the Victoria Hairdressing Saloon. If you look in the foreground of the photo in front of the group of people at the cycle shop you will see some of the Thurso fish baskets that was used by fisherwomen to sell the latest catch from.

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Thanks for that, I can remember when I was wee and going shopping with my mum, Andersons was still there, it is now Buttress's I believe if that is still there, its been a while since I was in town.
    i could be wrong but isn't that the chemists next to the central ?
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Thanks so much for your great piccies thirsaloon - I've never been to Thurso but am coming up early July to Caithness and it's great to see these!

Default Royal Hotel

Two piccys of the Royal Hotel. Built by Andrew Caskey when he noticed that Thurso was in need of a good coaching inn. The hotel had its own private well at the back, out of public view. I have been in to see it and although the well is no longer there you can still hear the water in the spring below the floor running past. In the same area is the old stables still intact and a flagstone table with a groove running around the outside edge where they would cut meat up and the blood would run into the groove and then into a bucket below. The hotel also had its own garden at the back where they grew their own veg for using.

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:42.

Default Andersons

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed View Post
    i could be wrong but isn't that the chemists next to the central ?

Yip it sure is Sutherlands Chemist next to the Central Hotel.

yeh it was the mention of it being built as a masonic hall that sealed it for me, plus the facia hasn't changed much
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Thanks so much for your great piccies thirsaloon - I've never been to Thurso but am coming up early July to Caithness and it's great to see these!

No problem helenwyler, yer welcome!

Jeepers as a new member this is keeping me busy!!! Your right what you said Bobinovich!

Quote Originally Posted by thirsaloon View Post
    If you look in the foreground of the photo in front of the group of people at the cycle shop you will see some of the Thurso fish baskets that was used by fisherwomen to sell the latest catch from.
    I remember my granny saying that when her father bought fish from one of the fisherwoman with the baskets that they had to follow him back to his house. Once she got to the house, the woman was expected to clean and gut the fish for the customer. Quite different from shooping nowadays when we buy fish that has been filleted for us already.

Default Lindsays

Attached is a photograph of Lindsays which im sure many of you remember. This photograph was taken in 1910. The building was newly built replacing the much older single story building. If I remember I will take a look for the older shop and post it.

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    I remember my granny saying that when her father bought fish from one of the fisherwoman with the baskets that they had to follow him back to his house. Once she got to the house, the woman was expected to clean and gut the fish for the customer. Quite different from shooping nowadays when we buy fish that has been filleted for us already.
    Aye that used to happen, The women used to sell the fish from the Meadow Well, Olrig Street, Town Hall Square, Royal Hotel Corner. Some of them, like my Great Granny used make her way to the "posh houses" in Princess Street, Campbell Street, Rose Street etc at the top of the town and sell them door to door.

Default Views of Thurso the west

Two views of Thurso, the one with the women in the foreground is around 1890 the other is around 1875. You will notice the women in the foreground are ready to collect water from the springs in the park. Hence the name Springpark!

Last edited by Bill Fernie; 06-Jan-08 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed View Post
    yeh it was the mention of it being built as a masonic hall that sealed it for me, plus the facia hasn't changed much
    Good call, my memory is too bad, I seem to remember Andersons being further down the street. What was Buttress's before that then, I seem to remember it being an Ironmongers?

Also is that picture of Lindsays did it become Nappy Sinclairs, it kind of looks like it with its multiple doorways? Either that or is it what became Soutars, the one at the top of the precint across from Cardosi's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Good call, my memory is too bad, I seem to remember Andersons being further down the street. What was Buttress's before that then, I seem to remember it being an Ironmongers?

Also is that picture of Lindsays did it become Nappy Sinclairs, it kind of looks like it with its multiple doorways? Either that or is it what became Soutars, the one at the top of the precint across from Cardosi's?

Hi Jeemag!

Aye, it became Soutars but was recently bought over, but forgot what name it goes under. Far to recent a change for me!

The ironmongers you mean was MacKays.
    Last edited by thirsaloon; 24-Jun-07 at 17:39.

Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast