Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stooshie between Wick and Foaroes town Klasvick

if you object to tone of the letter that's fair enough.

If you object to something being done because "it won't make any difference anyway" then that makes no sense to me. If we all did that nothing would change.

If you object to the letter being sent because the SNP councillor disagrees with the SNP MP seems contrary to the complaints we see about the SNP have no room for differing views. It's also worth pointing out we don't appear to KNOW if your MP Is for whaling or not and it seems to be based on him being the vice chair of the cross parliamentary Japan committee, this might or might not include lobbying Japan to end whaling or not. It's not clear at the moment but then he only took up that post just before the recess we might not know that just yet.
    Last edited by squidge; 28-Aug-15 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    if you object to tone of the letter that's fair enough.
    If you are correct that the letter was written on behalf of the constituency then thats fine, it was not worded in that way, and as you seem to be in the know, I would be interested to know what %age of the constituency objected to the twinning and also what %age of the constituency needs to make a complaint regarding local matters to make the Councillors spring into action?

If you object to something being done because "it won't make any difference anyway" then that makes no sense to me. If we all did that nothing would change.
    Thats the very thing, she had the opportunity to make a change but instead opted to offend an entire nation and cut ties.

If you object to the letter being sent because the SNP councillor disagrees with the SNP MP seems contrary to the complaints we see about the SNP have no room for differing views. It's also worth pointing out we don't appear to KNOW if your MP Is for whaling or not and it seems to be based on him being the vice chair of the cross parliamentary Japan committee, this might or might not include lobbying Japan to end whaling or not. It's not clear at the moment but then he only took up that post just before the recess we might not know that just yet.
    Fair comment on the MP perhaps he is getting involved with Japan to lobby to end the practice, and fair enough if he is, its a pity our own Councillors dont have similar initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    If you are correct that the letter was written on behalf of the constituency then thats fine, it was not worded in that way, and as you seem to be in the know, I would be interested to know what %age of the constituency objected to the twinning and also what %age of the constituency needs to make a complaint regarding local matters to make the Councillors spring into action?.
    In "the know" lol. I just read what was posted here. It's in the Scotsman article linked on THIS thread. The very article that started the conversation. If you want the details then perhaps ask the councillors directly.
    Thats the very thing, she had the opportunity to make a change but instead opted to offend an entire nation and cut ties.
    "she"? I thought we had established that "she" was speaking on behalf of three councillors.
    Fair comment on the MP perhaps he is getting involved with Japan to lobby to end the practice, and fair enough if he is, its a pity our own Councillors dont have similar initiative.
    That is a fair comment and I'm sure that the councillors will be happy to discuss your concerns. I really have no issue with anyone agreeing or disagreeing about either the validity of this action or the way in which the letter was written. I was just quite amused at the whole SNP Baaaaaad stuff that chuntered on about "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" after spending months and months chuntering about how autocratic the SNP are refusing to allow alternative opinions, when that isn't actually the case.

In "the know" lol. I just read what was posted here. It's in the Scotsman article linked on THIS thread. The very article that started the conversation. If you want the details then perhaps ask the councillors directly.
    I didnt read the article, I just read the letter, in which it makes no reference to constitutional representation.

"she"? I thought we had established that "she" was speaking on behalf of three councillors.
    Granted, slip of the keyboard Im afraid, anyway they had the opportunity to make a change but instead opted to offend an entire nation and cut ties.

Squidge, whats your opinion on the letter sent, a good thing to have done, or ill advised and an opportunity missed?

I don't live in Wick anymore so my opinions on the actions taken are probably irrelevant
    That also means I don't know what conversations went on prior to the letter being sent. However, as the article linked to states this was done as a response to concerns raised by people who DO live there then I support the decision to send the letter. Why would I not? It is an horrific slaughter.

However, To be honest Davth, I would not have been demanding actions are taken over this issue. That is simply because international animal welfare issues are not top of my agenda. Especially in a week which has seen such shocking loss of human lives. Horrific though the pictures are they do not distress me in the way that pictures of dead children washed up on beaches in the Mediterranean after yet another boat full of refugees sinks. Or the horror on the faces of parents clutching their children as they try just to survive and get to safety. For me, it's always about people, so the issues that concern me just now include the international refugee crisis, the appalling situation we have going on with benefit sanctions and the ESA statistics we have seen released this week.

So I guess, in summary, yeah I support the letter being sent and I have no issue with the language used. As I have already said it was other issues in the thread that amused me

PS- that doesn't mean i DONT CARE about animals before anyone jumps in to call me names, it means that people are top of my list just now. That's all.
    Last edited by squidge; 29-Aug-15 at 09:44.

Regardless of the reason Wick has chosen to sever ties with the Faroe Islands, in reality is it going to affect either community? Unless of course I am missing something and hundreds of people from Wick go on holiday there and vice versa, or Wick trades with them, and again vice versa. Of course the people of Klaksvik and their Mayor might be slightly offended that certain people (whoever urged the councillors to send the letter) object to the annual ritual slaughter, but I'm sure they will get over it.

Twinning towns and Cities, the modern version anyway after WW2, was intended to foster friendship and understanding between different cultures and between former foes as an act of peace and reconciliation. Is the concept out of date now? Because, 20 years ago the powers that be that decided to be twinned with Klaksvik, probably should have done their homework a little bit better to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Regardless of the reason Wick has chosen to sever ties with the Faroe Islands, in reality is it going to affect either community? Unless of course I am missing something and hundreds of people from Wick go on holiday there and vice versa, or Wick trades with them, and again vice versa. Of course the people of Klaksvik and their Mayor might be slightly offended that certain people (whoever urged the councillors to send the letter) object to the annual ritual slaughter, but I'm sure they will get over it.

Twinning towns and Cities, the modern version anyway after WW2, was intended to foster friendship and understanding between different cultures and between former foes as an act of peace and reconciliation. Is the concept out of date now? Because, 20 years ago the powers that be that decided to be twinned with Klaksvik, probably should have done their homework a little bit better to avoid this.
    Perhaps not Wick but Caithness certainly trades with the Faroes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123