Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Education in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Could it be that the disparity in education attainment between the socio-economic groups is because those that ‘have’ recognise the value of education. I have seen very marked differences between parents who make the effort to interact with their children and those parents who abrogate their responsibilities because they can’t/won’t make any effort with their offspring. I can only assume they believe education is someone else’s responsibility.
    I suggest any problems are very much more complex than can be assigned to ‘a post code lottery’. Any government, whatever political persuasion, is going to have an uphill struggle against parents who quite frankly couldn’t care less.
    Since composing this response I’ve notice this thread has become political and the swords are out for the SNP again. This subject is more important than party politics. As I said ‘Any government, whatever political persuasion,’ will find difficulty in getting parents to engage with schools and teachers for the betterment of their offspring.
    Exactly.

Although I disagree with the SNP on most issues, this isn't a problem confined to Scotland or a result of SNP policy. All over the UK the same result will be seen - 'poor' children do worse than 'privileged' .

The value of education and hard work is not something noticed by people who have have never seen either.

Give a hungry man a fish and he'll eat it. Give a hungry man a fishing rod and he'll moan about being hungry.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Exactly.

Although I disagree with the SNP on most issues, this isn't a problem confined to Scotland or a result of SNP policy. All over the UK the same result will be seen - 'poor' children do worse than 'privileged' .

The value of education and hard work is not something noticed by people who have have never seen either.

Give a hungry man a fish and he'll eat it. Give a hungry man a fishing rod and he'll moan about being hungry.
    Agree totally, but there are remedies / programmes that do work....... did you see the programe on ITV last night about private school kids attending a comprehensive in a poor part of Derby....bottom of the heap in terms of achievement..low self esteem / lack of confidence...... low income "working class" white boys, the school was very good and had set up motivational and confidence building classes. morning sessions, apparently this issue is largley the same wherever you go

Talking about low educational attainment....read this a lack of high value jobs causing graduates to work in non graduate jobs ........the number of graduates has now "significantly outstripped" the creation of high-skilled jobs.

The majority of UK university graduates are working in jobs that do not require a degree, with over-qualification at "saturation point", a report claims.
    Overall, 58.8% of graduates are in jobs deemed to be non-graduate roles, according to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
    It said the number of graduates had now "significantly outstripped" the creation of high-skilled jobs.
    The CIPD said the report's findings should be a "a wake-up call".
    "The assumption that we will transition to a more productive, higher-value, higher-skilled economy just by increasing the conveyor belt of graduates is proven to be flawed," said Peter Cheese, chief executive of the CIPD, the professional body for human resources managers.

The report found the issue was leading to "negative consequences" including employers requesting degrees for traditionally non-graduate roles despite no change to the skills needed for the role.
    As a result, it found graduates were now replacing non-graduates in roles and taking jobs where the demand for graduate skills was either non-existent or falling.
    The trend was particularly prominent in construction and manufacturing sectors where apprenticeships have previously been traditional routes into the industry, the report found.
    Mr Cheese said that in many cases the "skills premium" graduates had "if it exists at all" was being "simply wasted".
    The CIPD is calling for a "national debate" over how to generate more high-skilled jobs.

Funny that personally I went to Thurso College in 1979 and did an SNC Business studies which in those days would get you in a bank, I went back in 1987 and did a HIgher National Certificate by then banks wanted a minimum HNC, a couple of years later and banks required degress...and the jobs offered were exactly the same as in 1979 only using more technology the job roles hadnt really changed
    Last edited by rob murray; 19-Aug-15 at 10:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12