Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bettyhill Fires

Default Bettyhill Fires

Hey, I just heard on the radio that there was a forest fire at Bettyhill. I didn't hear how far the fires that started yesterday spread. Does anyone else know how far it spread?

Checked the highlands and island fire brigade website and there was an incident where 50 sq meters was destroyed. Could it have been that one?

Boo me for not watching the news lol.

I hope it was only land that was damaged and nothing and no one else!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

There really should be laws against this sort of thing. I think a grouse shoot is a small sacrifice for the fight against Global Warming.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I don't think it was intentional. The ground's been so dry for ages - maybe a flung ciggie end started it. Could have...easily!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

I would tend to class a 'flung ciggie' as intentional - gross carelessness and stupidity.

Most admit I noticed that the sky had a very smoky orange colour yesterday and I remember thinking at the time that it looked like something out out of a Stephen King movie but didn't know anything about the fires. That was as I looked in the Thurso direction however (the opposite direction). Saw a couple of fire engines and still didn't catch on. Will take a look up there later today.
    Last edited by emb123; 18-Apr-07 at 10:36. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd View Post
    I would tend to class a 'flung ciggie' as intentional - gross carelessness and stupidity.
    I agree - very stupid. I pointed this out to a vistor the other day that he must make sure his cigarettes are completely extinguished as the fire risk is high and incredibly serious if there were to be one.