Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: which school?

Default which school?

H
    my grandson was 11 on august 5 this year (d.o.b 05/08/2004 ) does he go to secondary school ? He lives In Invergordon now having just moved up and was expecting to go to secondary school but have had conflicting answers Help please

Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post
    H
    my grandson was 11 on august 5 this year (d.o.b 05/08/2004 ) does he go to secondary school ? He lives In Invergordon now having just moved up and was expecting to go to secondary school but have had conflicting answers Help please
    I would guess he will go to secondary school if he has completed primary 7.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

It depends where he has moved from, if it's England, that might alter things. Although my son was slightly older than your grandson when we moved back to Scotland, he was put back a year. I think it's something to do with the differing curriculums. I am talking about 2000 though, so your grandson's parents are better checking with the school authorities.

Its not really "being put back a year". Children don't start High school til the year in which they are 12. The cut off is different too. In England the cut off is August 31st, in Scotland its Feb 28th. They do external exams in Scotland in 4th year and then can stay on til 5th and 6th years if they choose . That's how come kids in Scotland end up at uni when they are 17. So, if your grandsons date of birth is 5th August he will not go to High School until 2016. Try not to think of it as kept back though. It is a different system and so it works differently.

Squidge the end result was still the same, instead of going into 2nd year (or whatever the equivalent in England is) he had to go into first year here, he had already done first year at a secondary school in Kent. In no way was I inferring he was having to resit a year for any other reason than he moved schools.
    Last edited by cptdodger; 13-Aug-15 at 23:10.

Quote Originally Posted by humbug View Post
    H
    According to his date of birth he should go into P7 this August.

I know that cpt what I was trying to say is that the two systems don't really equate so S1 in Scotland is not the same as S1 in England. The children will be at different levels and doing different things. Because the systems are different it might seem or feel like a child is being 'held back' but that is not the case. I too had this issue with my children when we moved.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I know that cpt what I was trying to say is that the two systems don't really equate so S1 in Scotland is not the same as S1 in England. The children will be at different levels and doing different things. Because the systems are different it might seem or feel like a child is being 'held back' but that is not the case. I too had this issue with my children when we moved.
    And that is why I mentioned the word carriculum. I never said he was being held back either. I know the Scottish system is different from the English system. I raised children in both systems.

Then we agree that's good

The other thing to remember is that they move onto secondary in England in year 7 so a year younger than ours but they still sit exams at the same age as ours

I agree with squidge its p7 he should go into however speak to the school they are best placed to advise, they will have received all the necessary information from his previous school. This would also give him time to get adjusted/ adapted to the new system also to the change and allow him to settle in with new friends in a smaller environment than High School.

A big thank you to everybody who replied ! Using the site is so helpful

Hope he settles in ok....another year in primary school will set him up for high school with some friends to go up with, as making new friends is easier at primary school as the kids are together for the whole day all week while at high school the kids could change in each class....so making friends could be harder.
    Cannot believe how quickly the summer hols have come to an end..and it will have come round faster for your grandson as he would have finished the "English" hols and will start the "Scottish" new term and therefore have lost 2-3 weeks hols as the terms are different!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!