Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: election 2016 : SNP landslide predicted

Default election 2016 : SNP landslide predicted

FRom the Daily Rag : NICOLA Sturgeon is heading for another Holyrood landslide – despite less than a third of the public thinking her Government are doing a good job in key areas.

A stunning new poll today showed 62 per cent of Scots plan to vote SNP in the constituency section of next year’s Scottish Parliament election.
    And 54 per cent say they will also back the nationalists in the regional section of the ballot.
    The poll also reveals that over the last year, only 25 per cent of voters think Sturgeon’s party have done a good job on the economy.
    Thirty-four per cent said the SNP had done well on the NHS, 30 per cent approved of their handling of education and a meagre 23 per cent believed they had done a good job on crime and justice.

Can anyone explain this to me, I see it in simple terms, despite public percieved poor showings in NHS, education crime and the economy...the voting public have nowhere else to turn to...Labour wiped out and no time to rebuild, ditto LD's, Tories..a toxic brand for years in Scotland...so a badly perforimng government will get back in, possibly under a very low turn out but in they will go.

That's democracy for you.
    Tories and many of their policies just don't resonate with the people of Scotland.
    Labour walked away from its Scottish roots when Blair became leader. Many Scottish Labour MPs became complacent and buried their heads where the sun won't shine just to keep their noses in the Westminster trough.
    The Lib Dems have always been on the fringe of Scottish politics, mediocre policies with some good ideas but not enough to garner widespread support.
    The SNP offered a change; hope, a new way of doing things. However it looks very much as if all they’ve managed to do is create chaos and confusion. A lot of the time they seem to be dragging their feet through treacle and can't or won't make much headway.
    Ahh but it’s democracy so it is.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Very simply put, the people who are voting for the SNP do not give one iota as to how they are performing. Their one goal in life is to get Independence, regardless of the real cost to the Country.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Very simply put, the people who are voting for the SNP do not give one iota as to how they are performing. Their one goal in life is to get Independence, regardless of the real cost to the Country.
    Neither of those claims can be correct because 62% of the voting population are not SNP members or YES voters. If they were, Independence Day would be on 24th March 2016. Some people can differentiate between an election and a referendum, you know. Which country are you worrying about independence costing, btw.........Scotland or the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Neither of those claims can be correct because 62% of the voting population are not SNP members or YES voters. If they were, Independence Day would be on 24th March 2016. Some people can differentiate between an election and a referendum, you know. Which country are you worrying about independence costing, btw.........Scotland or the UK?
    I never said anything about who the rest of Scotland votes for, I was talking about the people who vote SNP. Does the SNP not want independence now? I know exactly what the difference between a Referendum and an Election is, so which Party do you think the Yes voters are going to vote for to achieve Independence then?

The UK consists of more than one country does it not ?
    Last edited by cptdodger; 11-Aug-15 at 22:36.

Exactly.

Although 55% of Scottish people don't want independence, 45% do.

The significant difference is that, whereas the the majority can agree to disagree on other political issues, the minority blindly follow SNP doctrine. Not because they believe in it, but because they want independence .

The majority are divided as the minority are united.

How many SNP voters believe in the policy of minimum pricing on alcohol?
    How many SNP voters believe in state sponsored minders for children?
    How many SNP supporters campaign for recognition as Palestine as a state?

In all the above cases, the answer, I believe is, 'not many'. But the sheep still flock to the polling booths with their SNP votes because they believe in independence.

The economy, the NHS, education are not the issues SNP voters are concerned about, nationalism, separatism and independence are.

Don't confuse a landslide in local election results as support for SNP policies. Treat it as confirmation that 45% of Scots are motivated by the dream of independence, regardless of cost. Political debate in Scotland is dead - you're either YES or NO and nothing else seems to matter.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Exactly.

Although 55% of Scottish people don't want independence, 45% do.

The significant difference is that, whereas the the majority can agree to disagree on other political issues, the minority blindly follow SNP doctrine. Not because they believe in it, but because they want independence .

The majority are divided as the minority are united.

How many SNP voters believe in the policy of minimum pricing on alcohol?
    How many SNP voters believe in state sponsored minders for children?
    How many SNP supporters campaign for recognition as Palestine as a state?

In all the above cases, the answer, I believe is, 'not many'. But the sheep still flock to the polling booths with their SNP votes because they believe in independence.

The economy, the NHS, education are not the issues SNP voters are concerned about, nationalism, separatism and independence are.

Don't confuse a landslide in local election results as support for SNP policies. Treat it as confirmation that 45% of Scots are motivated by the dream of independence, regardless of cost. Political debate in Scotland is dead - you're either YES or NO and nothing else seems to matter.
    A good analysis, so being cynical, the SNP wont be pushing for indy referendum 2 as the timing is not right...they know the fiscal issues that lie ahead.... but can hide behind the zealots who they know will vote for them as you say without question...to maintain power the SNP will give the illusion and pretence that they will go for a referendum...sometime....( which if polls are right, they will again lose ).meanwhile as you say this no mans land ie not in / nor out of UK but maybe / sometime strategy has effectively killed political debate in Scotland, and so a government that in normal times would be on the ropes can sail on. I dont for one minute believe the local elections is testimount to supporting SNP performance either.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    NO doomsday would be 24 3 2016....on the folllowing issues, which wont go away and you cannot wish them away. 1 Currency issues 2 EU membership application timing 3 Costs of disentangling UK services into Scottish only 4 Interacting with European bank as regards fiscal issues 5 POssible migration and job losses in financial services. The SNP know all this and also that the scottish economny has been hard hit by sustained low oil prices, flat lining construction and stagnant spirit exports.....Scotland is basically a public sector / service economy....hence the timing is way off for a referendum, they ( SNP ) need to get contingency plans in place and rebuild the manufacturing base which will take years.

ANyone who thinks or wishes for independance despite these hard accepted facts is the type who would rather live in an impoverished backwater, but be FREE !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    A good analysis, so being cynical, the SNP wont be pushing for indy referendum 2 as the timing is not right...they know the fiscal issues that lie ahead.... but can hide behind the zealots who they know will vote for them as you say without question...to maintain power the SNP will give the illusion and pretence that they will go for a referendum...sometime....( which if polls are right, they will again lose ).meanwhile as you say this no mans land ie not in / nor out of UK but maybe / sometime strategy has effectively killed political debate in Scotland, and so a government that in normal times would be on the ropes can sail on. I dont for one minute believe the local elections is testimount to supporting SNP performance either.
    theone explains it a lot better than I can !

theone explains it a lot better than I can !
    Yes, The One is very powerful with the written word, factual and analytical postings, as you are to, but you both come to the same conclusion ! I agree it is really a simple point.....vote SNP = vote for independance....and these people are being suckered as there will not be indy 2 not for the foreseeable future indeed if ever !

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

It does seem that the SNPs woefully inadequate performance in government is being totally overlooked by the majority of people who voted SNP, it doesn't take too much effort to scour social media and see the oft tacitly avoided common sense questions levelled at followers of the SNP.

Mention failing NHS, Police Scotland, falling literacy rates, or any other number of quite legitimate concerns and the conversation usually falls into some bizarre discussion on cover ups, or abuse and then ends up with well it will all be ok with independence.

How many people get ignored by SNP councillors when they have the mendacity to question legitimate concerns over the trotted out party line. Sadly debate is stifled right from the top of the party with Indyref2 not being allowed as a question at the party conference.

So much for democracy, daily I can read the argument is that if you voted No you were scared into it, duped into it, the vow has been broken or any such nonsense perpetually regurgitated by vociferous followers, rarely if ever do you see that no voters simply did not buy into the now widely discredited figures put forward to support independence.

I used to get accused of that, I still do on here, being "scared" into voting no, well if that's the case I have been "scared" since 1979, because I was as sure then as I am now Independence is not the right thing for Scotland, and never will be.

People voted no because they didnt want to be independant, prefering the status quo and most importantly didnt swallow the fiscal nonsense trotted out ( come on....oil price predictions...... ???? ) and the ( still ) unanswered big questions avoided by Salmond et all, not because they were "scared"...scared of what ??? nor buying into the so called "vow"....credit people with more sense than to buy into a Gordon Brown "intervention".

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Just as well we didn't buy into the Oil lies peddled by the SNP during the referendum as prices continue to tumble downward $43.8 at time of posting

Yep at the time serious questions were being posed on their oil revenue predictions by "experts" and also sustainability / economic issues related to the north sea, Ian Wood had been banging away for yonks on this and was proved right and that was before the oil price slump. But of course what did he know eh !!!!
    Last edited by rob murray; 12-Aug-15 at 16:56.

Ive just thought scared.........................I wonder what would happen if I slung a union jack flag up ........

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Ive just thought scared.........................I wonder what would happen if I slung a union jack flag up ........
    Well it was nice knowing you !!