Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Inside large cairn at camster cairns

Default Inside large cairn at camster cairns

Fantastic Highlander I must visit. Thanks

Thanks for posting these highlander -I've not been there for .....gulp....32 years!

Must visit again soon!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thanks from me too, highlander! Your photos are superb!

I was last at Camster Cairns in 1980, when we came home from overseas to visit my parents. I still have the photos we took, including one of me inside the cairns. But they certainly weren't as good as yours!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Default Cairn of Get

Inspired by Highlander's Camster Cairns images, I visited the Cairn of Get for the first time.

Absolutely delighted by this example, another of our archaeological treasures on our doorstep.

Well worth a visit and a short easy walk into the hill above Loch Watenan.

ATHRoss

Thank you for posting that ATHross, i did not even know about that place untill i seen it on the map, but here is the map what it said about the large cairn.

Don't want to take this off topic but there are plans afoot to litter this valuable historic area with wind turbines - of all places . Keep an eye here if you feel like objecting when it comes up.

wonderful pics highlander and athross, thanks for posting them. I'd like to see cairn o get, I'd not even heard of it before.

Thanks for posting these fantastic photos, for someone with Caithness roots living Downunder with a lifelong interest in archaeology these contributions are priceless for making me feel closer to Hame

The concentric circles on the interpretation boards at the Cairn of Get, no doubt based on the pictographs, remind me of a recurring motif in Indigenous Australian art and sand engravings. Many people believe they represent waterholes, this is a modern slew on interpretation. I have been told by a reliable source that they represent the stratification of geological forms. As the cairns are ancient perhaps there is a link in consciousness between these disparate ancient peoples.