Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thurso Cinema goes into Liquidation!

Default HMRC is trying to put Thurso Cinema into Liquidation!

Noticed this in the groat today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thurso cinema.jpg 
Views:	5167 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	27273  
    Last edited by captain chaos; 07-Aug-15 at 18:56. Reason: More accurate

Thats a real pity....was it being used a lot by people ??

It wasn't well supported by the locals.Another nail in the Caithness coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    It wasn't well supported by the locals.Another nail in the Caithness coffin.
    Shame but thats so called "progress"...people watching stuff at home....cheap costs of DVD's, netflix / sky etc.....love the flicks... lucky to be able to get to Eden court and VUE within 40 minutes travel....

Was surprised that with the notice in the Groat , the local "news" paper itself had no story on it!

I have had a look at their website, no mention on there, and they have things going on up until September. I think when the original cinema closed down in 2010 (I think) people had to make do, and got out of the habit of going there. I used to go to the cinema a lot when I was in Dundee, but it was only 10 minutes away from where I lived, so I do'nt know why people local to the cinema are'nt using it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post
    Was surprised that with the notice in the Groat , the local "news" paper itself had no story on it!
    Between their 'reporting' of wick gala and their lack of reporting other issues whilst making people redundant to employ cheap labour in India, I've made the concious decision to never buy it again.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    whilst making people redundant to employ cheap labour in India,
    That's just awful, that's what happened to me and a lot of people that worked for BT in Dundee. It comes back to bite them in the end.

The Event Cinema was always packed out and we have tickets for September. Very shocked to read this as thought it was doing well.

Aye it's a bit strange that the local rag didn't report it as it would surely have been a front page spread together with the broken shed window and wee Jimmy scratching a car with his bike. Selective reporting doesn't seem to be bothering the groat whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Thats a real pity...
    Loss of a local amenity is a pity.

Suppliers and tradesmen not being paid is a pity too, though.

Absolutely gutted. Myself and my family a regulars and locals. Even adding a quid to ticket prices it's still cheaper than the large chains. Not sure that would help though.They missed out on avengers and a few other big ticket films.
    I love it when a plan comes together!!

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Loss of a local amenity is a pity.

Suppliers and tradesmen not being paid is a pity too, though.
    Were they not? I thought that as the taxman was cited as the proponent it was something due to trading conditions being breached.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogbrush View Post
    Were they not?
    I'd be the last to know, but it's the usual way of things.

Hi

as a regular user and fan of films, I was disappointed to see the notice in the Groat.

I would like to see the reply from Thurso Cinema. According to their Thurso Cinema facebook page they will issue one after the weekend.

I hope they can sort things out.

Although a little miffed that some of the big films of the year (Avengers, Mad Max, no word of Inside Out yet) haven't made it, I do enjoy watching films on the big screen with popcorn. I haven't been to any of their special events but I did hear they were very good.

I also note that as recently as recently as a couple of weeks ago they were getting favourable press in the Groat and online here and that the Thurso model was being proposed for other towns. here

THURSO Cinema marked its third anniversary this week as it continues to be a blockbuster success with cinema goers in the far north.

This is something to do do with tax. Let's hope they sort it out. We go to lots of events and we are so gutted. Rob Arthur is also pursuing similar cinema models in Campbeltown and Prestatyn. Let's hope this tax thing is sorted out. If not does some committed Thursonian want to throw their hat in the ring and sort this out for Rob?
    We can't think of this as someone else's problem --let's tell Rob we're behind him!

A good idea. Could be a collective thing- a fund raiser to save the complex which is a brilliant asset and would be very sad to see it go.

what would stop the owner defaulting on future HMRC payments?

The live link to theatre and opera events is invaluable- why not put out a donations box at the next big music event? The loss of this facility would be a disaster
    Bagpuss

Given that the average age of the Lyth audience is well over 60 and the cinema is the main venue for a night out for anyone other than a club, this does not bode well.
    Bagpuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast