Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Income tax could cause exodus

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Unfortunately that is not the case, your banding is based on the value of the property, location and services supplied does not come into it.
    Oh right, I stand corrected then !

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    No surely its on how much they actually consume, why should someone paying for basic services contribute to legals, planning, economic developnet / grants etc. surely to each his own. So its very complex isnt it ?
    Of course it's complex. I doubt there's a perfect solution.

Remember though that over 60% of the council's budget comes from central government, not from council tax.

I've no idea of the percentage breakdown between the cost of basic services vs the costs of legals, planning etc, but I imagine more than the remaining 40%, council tax funded, are fundamental front line services.

That being the case, and if we agree we should all pay the same cost for a service, council tax should not be income based, because you've already paid for 'the extras' through general taxation.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Of course it's complex. I doubt there's a perfect solution.

Remember though that over 60% of the council's budget comes from central government, not from council tax.

I've no idea of the percentage breakdown between the cost of basic services vs the costs of legals, planning etc, but I imagine more than the remaining 40%, council tax funded, are fundamental front line services.

That being the case, and if we agree we should all pay the same cost for a service, council tax should not be income based, because you've already paid for 'the extras' through general taxation.
    Thanks you explained this very clearly much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12