Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caithness flag

Whey-hey! I was beginning to think it had got lost in someone's in-tray. January is time enough for using it to promote tourism. I was hoping to take it up to the summit of Morven, but I'm not sure we'll have the weather for it on the day.

New flag has been unveiled and a short video on the Groat website

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Home/

It's a beautiful flag and rooted in an existing local symbol (not as pretty as my entry in the competition, grumble, grumble). It think it will be just the thing to arrest the eye and help not only local pride, but also to bring visitors to stop and look about them. Caithness need not be just the place you go through on the way to Orkney.

It has already started popping up on the Net as our badge, as in:

http://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Category...s_in_Caithness
    http://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Caithness

The flag has been flying over some of our castles too (there will be pics on the web soon I expect).

In fact, comparing it with all the other existing County flags, it is outstanding.

What a complete and utter waste of my money. The fact that we are the only county with a flag says it all really.
    The money would be better spent on repairing our roads, cutting verges or keeping the streets clean.

I was interested to know more about the connections between the type of boat shown, described as a galley, and Caithness. Does anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    What a complete and utter waste of my money. The fact that we are the only county with a flag says it all really.
    The money would be better spent on repairing our roads, cutting verges or keeping the streets clean.
    Not the only one: forty-one counties have flags, including Orkney and Shetland.

If just a few families each year passing through see the flag flying from a tower and realise that Caithness is a place of itself, and stop to have a look around and start spending in our shops instead of haring off to the ferry, the little money involved will have been paid off several times over, and it may prompt the council to repair the roads for them too.

So... Where can I get one of these flags?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post
    Not the only one: forty-one counties have flags, including Orkney and Shetland.

If just a few families each year passing through see the flag flying from a tower and realise that Caithness is a place of itself, and stop to have a look around and start spending in our shops instead of haring off to the ferry, the little money involved will have been paid off several times over, and it may prompt the council to repair the roads for them too.

Strange that, I could've sworn there were only 33 counties in the country, of which only 3 have flags.
    By far the best one of those is Shetland.

I would doubt if a single family will decide to stop off in Caithness due to the fact we have a flag.

Captain Pugwash they nearly got it .....

Poor choice. A flag should represent all of us. This does nothing of the sort. It has a christian symbol and the ship doesn't look very viking to me.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Poor choice. A flag should represent all of us. This does nothing of the sort. It has a christian symbol and the ship doesn't look very viking to me.
    I agree with that. The need to add religious symbology in this day and age escapes me.
    Last edited by theone; 27-Jan-16 at 18:32.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Going by the sentiment on this thread it looks like I might draw a big crowd for the flag burning when I track one down to burn...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Of course it represents all of us. Anyone can go on a boat.

A truly hideous flag with a black background, probably in recognition of the blackness of deep depression settling in over Caithness.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Whats up Rheg. are there no christians in Caithness these days? I am led to belive its a Nordic Cross, I quite like the flag.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Nordic Cross, like this one?: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a flag.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	28759
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Of Course it represents all of us Rheghead. It will be shown off with pride when i wash my old banger with it. Just hope the dye doesn't run and streak my paintwork :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    It will be shown off with pride when i wash my old banger with it.
    Is that a euphemism?

If so, Isn't a flannel and a bar of Imperial Leather good enough for a quick "dicht" of the nether regions these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    So... Where can I get one of these flags?
    I was at the council service point in Wick today paying my poll tax and a guy came in looking for Caithness flag, I was about to send him out to Spittal quarry when the lass announced that they have the flag in stock. (I kid you not)
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast