Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caithness flag

Default Caithness flag

Just read on 'e Groat website that voting has closed on the Caithness flag entries. Whilst I support having a flag for the county, it seems strange that despite "The campaign and public competition received support from almost every organisation in Caithness" there were only 600 votes cast?? Either there is vast support or there isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by garble View Post
    Just read on 'e Groat website that voting has closed on the Caithness flag entries. Whilst I support having a flag for the county, it seems strange that despite "The campaign and public competition received support from almost every organisation in Caithness" there were only 600 votes cast?? Either there is vast support or there isn't!
    It's not very important.

To be honest, I thought all the offerings were pretty awful. They looked like quick mock-ups on a PC.

Does anyone know who, or how many people contributed to the designs?

It looks to me like they were all designed by the same person.

All 4 options used the same choice of colours, and 3 of the 4 have the same image of a boat.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

All 4 were created by the flag committee, their interpretations created by using parts from various submissions.

Interestingly it is also my understanding that the newspaper refused to publish a letter complaining of this fact and that one of the advisors recently produced similar flags for another town competition. The resemblance is remarkeable, but the public won't get a chance to see this coz the paper doesn't want to tarnish their flag campaign, note the use of 'their'...

what happened was the committee decided that the entries were not good enough so they robbed bits from some of them and came up with their own entries saying we need a boat in the flag, joe public thinks they areare rubbish and wrong in what they did, sounds like there is an entry for the gala in there somewhere for next year

Soon forgotten, I expect.

Who really gives a toss about the Caithness flag.I believe wick is thinking of utilising one that the USA have recently retired

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Who really gives a toss about the Caithness flag.I believe wick is thinking of utilising one that the USA have recently retired
    Stars and Bars!

I tend to agree with some of the posts on this thread that the whole flag thing has been a woeful desperate campaign that the Groat/Courier has desperately tried to give the impression that anybody gives a hoot.
    All 4 designs are crap in my opinion and even if a tremendous one was unveiled, what's the point of it?
    No doubt the Groat will have one flying above their advertising and sales building in Wick to commemorate them destroying the Wick gala forever in the name of sensational trashy journalism.
    Anyone know what time Tesco opens?

The choices were uninspiring, three of the four were virtually the same design. I voted but got mixed up and went for UKIP

I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest but if I had had the opportunity to design a flag I would probably have gone with an extended middle finger, next to a Gollywog and the words "Nae Hairm Meant Ya Bass"

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    The choices were uninspiring, three of the four were virtually the same design. I voted but got mixed up and went for UKIP

I couldn't give a monkeys to be honest but if I had had the opportunity to design a flag I would probably have gone with an extended middle finger, next to a Gollywog and the words "Nae Hairm Meant Ya Bass"
    Something like the Corsican flag?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post

Here You Go...

Do Not Click If Easily Offended
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The Groat said that the winner would be announced in August, and we are nearly at October. I expect that the council are hoping for a big launch and are still trying to book a venue / celebrity / nosh-up / day when it's not raining. Either that or it is still going through the paperwork in the Lord Lyon's office. The shortlisted designs look a bit mashed up, but a thumbnail on a computer screen is not the best place to appreciate a flag. I'd like to see the winner on a ten-foot cloth in a stiff wind: that's the real test. When it finally emerges, whichever it is, is anyone up for taking the county flag up Morven? There's someone who does that with all the counties.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Does anyone know who, or how many people contributed to the designs?
    There were 326 entries. (I entered one. It wasn't shortlisted though.)

Actually, We thought every one of the choices were being quite terrible. These people looked like fast mock-ups over a PC.

It was a shambles as the final designs were not from those submitted but were mocked up by the Panel. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the "competition".
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    That flag would have won but sadly it will be "Bland, generic urine number 3" that probably wins.

Seemingly the new Caithness flag will be unveiled on 26th January???
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Seemingly the new Caithness flag will be unveiled on 26th January???
    A right honorable day to to do it too.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast