Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caithness Courier - Embarassing Journalism.

Of all the atrocities going on I the world just now, this one really must rank pretty low, maybe we should spend our time sorting out more important things.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Sometimes journalisms job is to shine a light into those dark recesses of society where unacceptable practise exist and expose them to the full glare of the rest of society. This is one such instance inappropriate,offensive culturally insensitive, racially motivated no excuses about they where kids they are well beyond kids teenagers/ young adults. The media have done a fine job exposing this maybe society can learn a lesson and next years carnival won't be blighted by sloppy racial stereotypes posing as just harmless fun.
    I just mentally threw up reading that.

Journalists are parasites who feed off other peoples miss fortune with no thought for the person or what the untruths they peddle to the masses do to these people, it will be interesting and amazing if they are brave enough to come out from the dark side and try to defend their actions with a little more than "its in the public's interest" both local papers have lost their way on what used to be local news and just fill the pages with the same adverts (cash cow) and drivel they think will sell papers

I believe the issue needed to be reported not in the manner it was, it didn't need to be front page news, the front page should of been about the fantastic amount raised on the night, one of the highest for many a year.

The paper got it spot on by putting it on the front page rather than the usual Wheelie Bin Stolen or Mrs Mackay Stepped In Something Nasty front page scoop.

Oh and guess what ? More startling breaking news ........ yes, newspapers like to try and sell more newspapers.

It did a pretty good job of raising an awareness of an outdated attitude which is obviously widespread in this area.

Golligate has no doubt made quite a few people around here grudgingly realise they are stuck in the 70s with some of their views.

Admitting it publicly though is quite another matter as can be seen by quite a few of the sad apologist responses in this forum.

Well done the Courier.

how much did the courier pay you to write that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Journalists are parasites who feed off other peoples miss fortune with no thought for the person or what the untruths they peddle to the masses do to these people, it will be interesting and amazing if they are brave enough to come out from the dark side and try to defend their actions with a little more than "its in the public's interest" both local papers have lost their way on what used to be local news and just fill the pages with the same adverts (cash cow) and drivel they think will sell papers
    well said. If journalists reported the news rather than their opinion or agenda of the paper they work for then people would have a balanced picture of what was happening and be able to make their own minds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Perambulate View Post
    how much did the courier pay you to write that?
    There's nothing quite like a robust well thought out counter argument.

Well done you.

Quote Originally Posted by George Saint View Post
    There's nothing quite like a robust well thought out counter argument.Well done you.
    OK "George" here's a counter argument for you.

How come you've only joined the "org" since the trashy headline that has possibly destroyed the Wick Gala appeared in the local paper, and why is it you've only commented on the two threads containing reference to the Golliwogs, and the embarrassing journalism displayed by the Courier?..?

Is it possible "George" that you know the part time employed, but full time bedroom keyboard "I'm offended seeker" that ran to the local constabulary in the first place regarding the Wick Gala?.?

I'd imagine you also know the "local residents" who condemned the Golliwogs costumes in the national papers who in actual fact are both at college studying journalism and were never at the Wick gala....
    Last edited by Droopy; 07-Aug-15 at 06:15.
    Anyone know what time Tesco opens?

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    OK "George" here's a counter argument for you.

How come you've only joined the "org" since the trashy headline that has possibly destroyed the Wick Gala appeared in the local paper, and why is it you've only commented on the two threads containing reference to the Golliwogs, and the embarrassing journalism displayed by the Courier?..?

Is it possible "George" that you know the part time employed, but full time bedroom keyboard "I'm offended seeker" that ran to the local constabulary in the first place regarding the Wick Gala?.?

I'd imagine you also know the "local residents" who condemned the Golliwogs costumes in the national papers who in actual fact are both at college studying journalism and were never at the Wick gala....
    Do you need actually witness an act of racism to be offended by it?
    If you dress up as the KKK and torch a black persons house but no one witnessed it, did it realty happen?

Default Groat apology to PPP

I notice that the John o' Groat Journal issued a front page apology to PPP in last Friday's paper.

Where on earth do the journalists scrape their stories from in the first place in order for them to be having to issue apologies?
    The best way to get your story on the front page of the local paper appears to be to have a right good rant on Facebook about the particular problem you're having that hour before moving on to the next rant in the afternoon.

Hopefully rather than have to accept the rules of life that everyone has to live by, a journalist from the Groat will have creeped it on Facebook and then give you a platform to tell everyone how hard done by you are and encourage you to tell the paper buying people of Caithness how terrible you've been treated and how many of the fickle Facebook fraternity have "liked" your rant.

In the meantime the organisation that is on the wrong end of the hard done by accuser is systematically hung drawn and quartered in public under the disguise of a "story"

Shame on the local paper that the people of Caithness were once proud to call our own.
    Anyone know what time Tesco opens?

I think it was absolutely right of the paper to report on people dressing up as 'black face' in the 21st century. The fact that they are kids has got nothing to do with it - I have a little one and she will be brought up knowing that dressing up as 'black face' isn't a wee joke in modern society - it's deeply offensive.

The fact that so many people on here seem to be able to brush it off as a wee innocent joke is exactly why they were right to print it as a front page story on the Courier.

Quote Originally Posted by larel View Post
    Of all the atrocities going on I the world just now, this one really must rank pretty low, maybe we should spend our time sorting out more important things.
    You realise that it's the job of the Courier to report on local news yes? By definition, it's the 'Caithness' Courier, not the 'World' Courier. Their job is to report on news in or connected to Caithness.

Well said! Note also thatthose members of the so-called Tartan Army who choose to wear Jimmywigs are also firmly lodged in the same insulting category.
    Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    I think it was absolutely right of the paper to report on people dressing up as 'black face' in the 21st century. The fact that they are kids has got nothing to do with it - I have a little one and she will be brought up knowing that dressing up as 'black face' isn't a wee joke in modern society - it's deeply offensive.

The fact that so many people on here seem to be able to brush it off as a wee innocent joke is exactly why they were right to print it as a front page story on the Courier.

The only way you can stop the sensationalist reporting that seems to be too apparent these days in the Groat and Courier is to do what I did and stop buying them.

Poor newspapers that have lost the community spirit that we used to enjoy.
    Doolally

Quote Originally Posted by Eoghan View Post
    Well said! Note also thatthose members of the so-called Tartan Army who choose to wear Jimmywigs are also firmly lodged in the same insulting category.
    Are they insulting themselves?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12