Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Golliwogs

L
    Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979 View Post
    I'm not going to be offended by a kid dressed as a Golly because an MP tells me I should be. I'll decide what offends me, and this doesn't. So that makes me pathetic? Good to know, thanks Aamer Anwar. I have never, in my life, ever associated a Golly with a black person or assumed its a parody of a black person. To me they're a toy. A character. For that reason, I'm no more offended by a Golly than by Spongebob Square Pants. Admittedly I would be offended by someone calling a black person those names, but that's because of the context behind it. Just my opinion. I grew up in a non-racist household where a Golly was simply a toy. End of. They're characters from a marmalade jar, not black people. That's how I see it. There are far bigger race issues in the country right now than this. The fuss over it has solved nothing.
    Your attitude is stuck in the 1950's, things and the world have changed. Even Robersons got rid of their trade marks long time ago, thank goodness, being called a golly..g or a nig. g is offensive to many all around the world these days, if the three who were "blacked" were children, it was adults that dressed them like that, and they would have/should have known the offence that would cause.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I agree that the adults should have known better, and personally I wouldn't allow my children to dress up as them because I am fully aware that people can be offended by them. I'm not. But my opinion is my opinion and yours is yours so fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    ...being called a golly..g or a nig. g is offensive to many all around the world these days.
    True, but, the irony of that statement is that popular culture (Rap music, Games etc) these days is littered with the "N" word being used by the very people who are meant to be offended by it.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Can one dress as an 'incomer' at a Gala or is that racist too?

(asking for a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979 View Post
    I'm not going to be offended by a kid dressed as a Golly because an MP tells me I should be. I'll decide what offends me, and this doesn't. So that makes me pathetic? Good to know, thanks Aamer Anwar. I have never, in my life, ever associated a Golly with a black person or assumed its a parody of a black person. To me they're a toy. A character. For that reason, I'm no more offended by a Golly than by Spongebob Square Pants. Admittedly I would be offended by someone calling a black person those names, but that's because of the context behind it. Just my opinion. I grew up in a non-racist household where a Golly was simply a toy. End of. They're characters from a marmalade jar, not black people. That's how I see it.

There are far bigger race issues in the country right now than this. The fuss over it has solved nothing.
    Actually the fuss over it might well have solved something.

Hopefully by dragging some of the defenders of this episode into the 21st century.

Judging by some of the responses it will be screaming and kicking, but at least it should have sunk in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post

But here we have the great and wise people of Caithness deciding that regardless of what opinions are nationwide they are the arbiters of what is and isn't racially acceptable.

I'd rather take note of the rest of the country than a few people who'd rather bury their heads in the sand and pretend things haven't changed since the 1970s.

Maybe you'll all be happy when the media starts quoting some of your comments in the press to show how racially intolerant and unaware you are.

It's not for white people in a predominantly white populace town to decide whether it's racially offensive ........
    Actually it is. I haven't spoke to anyone, not all white, who don't think that it's media fuelled poop. The idea that these kids set out to offend anyone is ludicrous. One punter phones the polis and according to the press we're all racists. As others have said, if this is all we have to worry about then there's something far wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    True, but, the irony of that statement is that popular culture (Rap music, Games etc) these days is littered with the "N" word being used by the very people who are meant to be offended by it.
    Not being a listener to rap music, or games etc, I must be out of touch with "popular " culture, I will bow to your better knowledge.

I very rarely raise my head above the parapets these days for total fear of retribution !!
    But, in this instance, I feel a strong need to reply and also agree with others on this thread: namely "crashbandicoot1979" and also "wavy davy" - to name but two.

I find it incomprehensible that the (local?) police should find this an incident which requires investigation.

Lets just define the facts : -

1. Three young(ish) kids dress up as a TOY.
    2. Said "TOY" just happens to be black in colour.
    3. Wick gala, I believe, is open to anyone who is willing to participate in raising funds.
    4. I think another "Orger" commented on how would we feel if there were a group dressed up as "Geisha Girls" (Japanese) . . . would this also be considered as "racist" ?
    5. I (personally) know of someone who have had a break-in . . . . police were (allegedly) informed and absolutely no action was taken immediately . . .
    6. This situation must be quite embarrassing for (alleged) police officers to persue.
    7. I must also reiterate many other comments on this thread . . .
    "​There are many more happen stances going on in our town of Wick which require immediate police assistance - lets not allow 3 "kids" dressed as "TOYS" deviate from this "
    Last edited by Iffy; 30-Jul-15 at 23:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    I agree that what they did was racist and shouldn't have happened.
    Then you are ignorant and don't even understand the meaning of the word 'racism'.

Racism is discriminating against or oppressing someone based only on their genetic makeup. It is a purposeful act fueled by hatred.

Does anyone really believe their costume choice makes these people racists?

At the world cup in France the tartan army encouraged many locals to wear 'see you jimmy' hats. Were these people being racist towards Scots or to gingers? Of course not. Dressing up as somebody else does not mean you are insulting them. Sometimes quite the opposite.

If they were dressed up in drag would it be discriminatory towards those of the opposite sex or to transsexuals? No, because there is no insult and no intent to insult.

And all this debate assumes that gollywogs are black people. They are not. They are 'gnomes'. A gollywog is no more a black human than a Leprechaun is a Celtic human.
    Last edited by theone; 30-Jul-15 at 23:45.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Then you are ignorant and don't even understand the meaning of the word 'racism'.Racism is discriminating against or oppressing someone based only on their genetic makeup. It is a purposeful act fueled by hatred.Dies anyone really believe their costume choice makes these people racists?At the world cup in France the tartan army encourage many locals to wear 'see you jimmy' hats. Were these people being racist towards Scots or to gingers? Of course not. Dressing up as somebody else does not mean you are insulting them.If they were dressed up in drag would it be discriminatory towards those of the opposite sex or to transsexuals? No, because ther is no insult and no intent to insult.
    Then why did they not dress up in a gay queen outfit , or French Ingan johnny's or Scots rugby fans,,allegedly none of these are racist , gollies are!!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    none of these are racist , gollies are!!
    How?

Honestly, in what way is a gollywog doll racist?
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    How?

Honestly, in what way is a gollywog doll racist?
    maybe best to start with quote from the Herald and take it from there. If you can quote Mein Kampf I'm sure you can work it out,

Once considered harmless cartoon characters, images of Golliwogs have become taboo in recent years because of their racial undertones.

The term in the UK is seen as a slur and there have been incidents across the country where people have been charged for using the name or portraying the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    maybe best to start with quote from the Herald and take it from there. If you can quote Mein Kampf I'm sure you can work it out,
    So 'racist undertones' and 'taboo' is the get out clause here?

I don't like taboos, they're generally an escape for people unable to address an issue directly. An elephant in the room that everyone ignores. I'd rather address the issue directly and discuss it with argument and reason. Whether an agreement can be made or not, it is better to discuss a disagreement or belief than stick your head in the sand because something is 'taboo'.

Do you honestly believe the 3 fundraisers in the photo are guilty of a racially motivated crime?

- Charles de Gaulle

magic comments the worlds gone completely mad mad i say,it was a fun day to raise funds for goodness sake get over it.

damn right, lets all just do what we like and forget whether we offend anyone so long as were raising money for charity

here's my costume for next year ....

zombie jimmy saville ... it's not illegal, right ? so where's the harm ?

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    damn right, lets all just do what we like and forget whether we offend anyone so long as were raising money for charity

here's my costume for next year ....

zombie jimmy saville ... it's not illegal, right ? so where's the harm ?
    Indeed. Where is the harm?

Although in my opinion it's bad taste, and I wouldn't drop a pound in your collection tin, how would your choice of clothes harm someone?

It might disgust some people, but HARM them? Nonsense.

- Charles de Gaulle

Oh dear what a stooshie. What am I going to do with my collection of Robertson's golly badges now?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

A white person dressing as a black is as offensive as a white person calling them racial slurs.Neither physically harm as such but are both completely offensive.The dressing up as a toy of yester year is bull also, they dressed as a toy which has been universally outlawed as it was totally racist, even the jam manufacturer drooped the distinctive logo due to the racial issues.A similar thing to the confederate flag in the USA being dropped as it has a racial undertone.

If a white person dressing as a black person is racist then is it not racist for a black person to dress as a white person? i remember a popular movie called "white chicks" where 2 black guys dressed as white blonde girls that giggled alot and were a bit thick.... i don't think anyone involved in that film were "hunted by police" or called racist

Quote Originally Posted by emmz View Post
    If a white person dressing as a black person is racist then is it not racist for a black person to dress as a white person? i remember a popular movie called "white chicks" where 2 black guys dressed as white blonde girls that giggled alot and were a bit thick.... i don't think anyone involved in that film were "hunted by police" or called racist
    If it offended you then you could have reported it, I haven't seen the movie.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast