Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Golliwogs

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Well that's ok next year all those who think it's fine and dandy can push their luck see if the police are quite so lenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    So next year the 3 teenagers could dress up as the KKK or would that open up another big can of worms
    If complaint then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Well that's ok next year all those who think it's fine and dandy can push their luck see if the police are quite so lenient.
    Obviously you think the police were too lenient in this instance, so what in your opinion should be the punishment for this heinous crime. Possibly branding, the ducking stool, pillory, the stocks or some other fitting punishment??

my thoughts exactly, what is the end product in this rubbish, the great unwashed are not that stupid that they do not understand its only people looking for their five minutes of fame by saying i to am offended, well i am not offended, so do your worst to that for another five minutes of fame

Can I still get Robertson's marmalade?
    When is Tesco's open so as I can buy a few jars . . . . ?
    Last edited by Iffy; 01-Aug-15 at 20:48.

I think you can yes, but you won't find a golliwog on the jar because it is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by john33 View Post
    Obviously you think the police were too lenient in this instance, so what in your opinion should be the punishment for this heinous crime. Possibly branding, the ducking stool, pillory, the stocks or some other fitting punishment??
    The police have issued guidance so there are no further excuses any future occurrences should be treated as the law prescribes. If you consider branding, ducking stools,pillories or stocks acceptable punishment it shows more about your regressive views on law and order than anything else.

I noticed neither STV or Reporting Scotland reported this. Just the papers
    Last edited by speedo215; 02-Aug-15 at 13:07.

Just waiting on the band members from the tv show "The Black and White Minstrel Show" signing up to e'org and commenting. They might as well seeing as lots of other people have this last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    The Bacup Coconutters have their own website. Every year they black up and dance through the streets of Rossendale, everyone loves them, it is a great tradition involving all of the Rossendale Valley. Nobody ever suggests any racism with them

http://www.coconutters.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbGYRSsV8g
    If you google their name followed by the word racist or racism, you will find that your claim about "no suggestion of racism" is incorrect.

Likewise with the Cornish tradition of Darkie Day, or Darkie Days, which used to have songs containing the word N***er but which now use the word "mummer" in place of it after controversy.

As always, outsiders claim it's racist and/or out of touch in our modern society, because it includes many more people with dark skin than it did at the time the tradition began, while the locals claim it is an innocent practice celebrating the end of slavery and that there is no malice in the context with which the word N***er was used in the songs. I believe one Cornish town relented after complaints and no longer blacked up their faces but in Padstow I am led to believe they still carried out that element of the procedure.

Like it or not, the law has changed and care has to be taken. It is one thing to black up as a black person in a positive representation of a famous figure but the Gollywog, which was once an acceptable child's toy, had now been outed as a taboo symbol of all that was wrong with slavery and the general treatment of black people as an inferior race. It doesn't take too much thinking to realise that resurrecting a banned/dropped image would not rest easily with some sections of society.

There was no malice intended I am sure and it is hardly worthy of the news coverage it received. It was a mistake and I am sure lessons have been learned. Just a bad call in the same vein as Prince Harry and the Nazi fancy dress.

You can't defend the issue by saying that the Gollywog is a toy. The fact that it was acceptable at one time doesn't make it acceptable as we move across the generations and society undergoes changes in its make up and old attitudes are deemed no longer appropriate. The Swastika used to be a symbol of good luck but after it was adopted by the Nazi party the meaning of it changed forever. Are we to claim that we can fly the Swastika and expect society to accept that it is just wishing the locals good luck?
    Last edited by scorrie; 02-Aug-15 at 12:50.

My black mate is considering taking a trip up to the Gala next year, he says he is going to make an all white Golliwog outfit and "white up". Then he will wander around with a placard saying "Politically Correct Golliwog" just to watch the outraged white knighters heads explode in confusion.
    Wolves dont lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep.

"Political Correctness" is about mutual respect.
    I find it hard to believe that no adult had the cultural awareness to explain why golliwogs are not an acceptable display in the year 2015. This has opened Caithness to ridicule, and I hope that lessons have been learned.

Political Correctness is NOT about respect. Its about people who take the attitude that their view is right and if you dont agree then you're wrong. No discussion allowed. I dont see any outrage when someone who is white male, heterosexual and able bodied is singled out for abuse. What happened in Wick is a group of people, none of which are a member of the group they claim to be offended for, got on their soap boxes about a situation where no harm was caused or indeed intended. It hasn't opened to Caithness to ridicule, certainly none of the people here in foreign parts with me think that. I'm from Caithness and the only thing I am embarrased about are the idiots there making something out of nothing. Its quite sad really.

I had a Golliwog as a kid, I see it as a toy from a happy childhood and I dont spend my weekends wearing a bedsheet and a white pointy hat. Whats next ?? .. Big Ted from Playschool banned lest someone who is toting a few extra pounds gets offended by him ??, Is the Milky Bar kid is a pseudo symbol of white supremacy and should be stricken from our memories ??, Should we ban He-Man lest PETA get upset that he rides about on a cat ??

The worlds gone mad.

Caithness is still a great place.
    Wolves dont lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep.

Some may wish to maintain that there is nothing offensive about the incident and that no one was offended and that its all down to Political Correctness gone made. The truth is the world has moved on attitudes across the nation have moved on since the 70s you can hang on to outdated ideas as much as you like but you'll find no succour from any political party except the BNP and the Police won't support you. The issue has made National Headlines and headlines around Scotland denying that offence is not there or its down to a few individuals is denying the reality on this one issue those who try defending it are so out of step with life in the modern world it saddens me such bigoted out of date views are openly expressed. The incident has brought national shame on the community and no doubt next year eyes will be watching to see if anything similar occurs. Making a mistake and learning from it is one thing, should something similar occur in future there will be no excuses.

Since this event I have researched a bit about the history of the golliwog and I certainly thought it ironic that Adolf Hitler banned the golliwog as he deemed it to be unsuitable as a toy for young Germans for the reasons of his racist propaganda.(No Godwin's law intended)
    The reason for the ban. in my opinion, was that golliwogs were portrayed in childrens books as positive role models who were kind, brave, friendly and trustworthy. These are exactly the qualities that a racist would prevent a child from experiencing from a black person.
    When the golliwog was created the racial stereotyping of the times meant having a black face usually meant that you were either a slave, ex-slave, under colonial rule or about to eat you and so the golliwog became a fresh addition to a child's toy box and in its own way was actually the first instance of positive race relations, albeit in its own naive way but an important one.

As history went along, the golliwog has become a perjorative term for a black person but I believe that was made by people who are ignorant of the history and context of its origins. In a way,
    anyone who still maintains that the golliwog was intended as a negative icon is being intellectually dishonest.

At the end of the day, the golliwog isn't racist, it has just lost its relevance in modern society as we see positive black role models in the media like TV and sport and much more importantly in our everyday lives.

http://www.lookandlearn.com/children...%22golliwog%22
    Last edited by Rheghead; 03-Aug-15 at 13:00. Reason: clarity
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

This is somebody else's take on the "incident" - From The Press and Journal.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/north-east/653902/warning-for-people-thinking-of-dressing-up-at-invercairn/

"He said: “We’ve never yet had anything inappropriate at it, but I think if there was anything that would cause offence we wouldn’t let them take part.

“But you never know. I would certainly think people in the village would know better. We are wary of these sort of things, and we would act on anything that came up.
    “It’s a family, fun event and we would not be encouraging it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    So next year the 3 teenagers could dress up as the KKK or would that open up another big can of worms
    That's a great question.

If dressing up as someone of a particular belief, race or ethnicity is derogatory then surely we should all dress up as the Nazis and the Taliban next year.

Surely that would satisfy the uber offended on here. Because dressing up in costume as someone else is derogatory to them.

Show your support for blacks around the world next year by cutting eye holes in your pillow cases at next year's gala, dress up as the KKK to insult them.

The solution to racism is quite clear. Fancy dress.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by speedo215 View Post
    I noticed neither STV or Reporting Scotland reported this. Just the papers
    ... meanwhile at STV

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    That's a great question.

If dressing up as someone of a particular belief, race or ethnicity is derogatory then surely we should all dress up as the Nazis and the Taliban next year.
    we can do better than 2015! Why stop at Wick being ridiculed in national newspapers, when suggestions like this can take us to an international level of outrage! Genius...

why go to the trouble of dressing up at all?.....just go naked and watch a lot more being offended!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast