L
Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979 View Post
I'm not going to be offended by a kid dressed as a Golly because an MP tells me I should be. I'll decide what offends me, and this doesn't. So that makes me pathetic? Good to know, thanks Aamer Anwar. I have never, in my life, ever associated a Golly with a black person or assumed its a parody of a black person. To me they're a toy. A character. For that reason, I'm no more offended by a Golly than by Spongebob Square Pants. Admittedly I would be offended by someone calling a black person those names, but that's because of the context behind it. Just my opinion. I grew up in a non-racist household where a Golly was simply a toy. End of. They're characters from a marmalade jar, not black people. That's how I see it. There are far bigger race issues in the country right now than this. The fuss over it has solved nothing.
Your attitude is stuck in the 1950's, things and the world have changed. Even Robersons got rid of their trade marks long time ago, thank goodness, being called a golly..g or a nig. g is offensive to many all around the world these days, if the three who were "blacked" were children, it was adults that dressed them like that, and they would have/should have known the offence that would cause.