Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Golliwogs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Golliwogs

Note the news that three people who dressed up as “Golliwogs” during Wick gala has gone viral. The world has gone crazy!! I am sure they never intended any racism what so ever. Just dressing up for a good night out. Type in Golliwog in Google images and many thousands of images are shown all off dolls which I am sure they were trying to represent.

At the moment ISIS are killing many thousands of people by throwing them of high buildings, drowning them in cages , mass execution etc etc as all the supposed great nations of this world stand back or make a very poor token effort to suppress it.

We need to get real and get after the hard issues not the soft ones.
    Last edited by john33; 29-Jul-15 at 21:06. Reason: Typo

This story even made it into the Telegraph. I am sure the few police left in Wick have more things to do than investigate this piece of nonsense.

My daughter mentioned it tonight, she lives in Hastings, East Sussex !

Utter nonsense. I don't believe for one second that any racism was intended. In the grand scheme of things this is a non-story and the fuss that's been made has undermined the entire gala and the hard work that the committee and volunteers put in. Those who felt the 'golliwogs' ruined the whole night for them, need to get a grip. If something so minor can ruin your night, then you've got a long, hard life ahead of you.

Wether racism was intended or not is not the point here."Blacking up" IS RACIST.
    Ignorance is no excuse

I absolutely fail to see how 'blacking up' or indeed 'whiting up' is racist. Racism is excluding particular ethnic groups, or picking on someone on the grounds of their skin colour/religion etc. These kids did neither, they dressed up as kid's toy. Admittedly misguided but the furore is completely unneccesary. Its not like they were lynching anyone. Its over-sensitivity like this that causes half the race issues in this country - it turns every tiny thing into a big fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Wether racism was intended or not is not the point here."Blacking up" IS RACIST.
    Ignorance is no excuse
    Really, m'Lud? I'd say intent is quite important and is very much part of the point, unless you subscribe to the burgeoning field of 'whiteness studies'.