Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Asylum seekers/Refugees Calais

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post

I am not posting on this topic any longer.
    Changed your mind then ?

Jeane Freeman talks in today's National about the negativity which pervades everything and particularly this migrant crisis and the way austerity is affecting people. There is another narrative though.

All over Britain and Europe people are coming together in their communities to tackle issues they think need tackling.

Jeane says

"Negativity both hides fear and preys on it too. The fear of those in power that they may lose their grip on that slippery ledge. The fear we may have of change, of stepping forward, of challenging accepted thinking. The shiver of fear we can all feel when we realise we can make our own and other’s lives better if we dare to take the first step. Those steps are being taken, to feed and clothe children, to help families struggling, to reach out and welcome those so desperate for life that they are willing to risk it. We need to keep taking those steps and proving that it is positivity, and only that, which works. Hope, realised in action, can make negativity shrivel and fade away"

Maybe we should take this thread and instead of saying we can't we can't we can't we should think about what we can do to change things, not just for the migrants in Calais or dying in their hundreds in boats in the Mediterranean, but maybe also closer to home.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Jeane Freeman talks in today's National about the negativity which pervades everything and particularly this migrant crisis and the way austerity is affecting people. There is another narrative though.All over Britain and Europe people are coming together in their communities to tackle issues they think need tackling. Jeane says "Negativity both hides fear and preys on it too. The fear of those in power that they may lose their grip on that slippery ledge. The fear we may have of change, of stepping forward, of challenging accepted thinking. The shiver of fear we can all feel when we realise we can make our own and other’s lives better if we dare to take the first step. Those steps are being taken, to feed and clothe children, to help families struggling, to reach out and welcome those so desperate for life that they are willing to risk it. We need to keep taking those steps and proving that it is positivity, and only that, which works. Hope, realised in action, can make negativity shrivel and fade away"Maybe we should take this thread and instead of saying we can't we can't we can't we should think about what we can do to change things, not just for the migrants in Calais or dying in their hundreds in boats in the Mediterranean, but maybe also closer to home.
    Or you can accept the much simpler ...we don't want to !

It's all very well posting petition showing 50,000 signatures but out of a population of 64.5 million that's small beer it's not as though we hear the majority of the population crying out to assist these people trying to forcefully gain entry to our country.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 14-Aug-15 at 09:45.

Or you could look at it this way - http://www.cpag.org.uk/child-poverty-facts-and-figures. From that website - "There were 3.7 million children living in poverty in the UK in 2013-14. That’s 28 per cent of children, or 9 in a classroom of 30."

Or this - http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/homel...f-numbers.html. From that website -In Scotland:

• Just over 35,000 households applied for homelessness assistance in 2014/15 - four per cent lower than the previous year.
    • 29,565 were accepted as homeless.

The United Kingdom as a whole can hardly cope with the people that already live here as it is, these are fundamental things we should be getting right first. Whether you accept it or not, Britain cannot help everybody. The NHS is in meltdown (especially here) it cannot cope with a further strain on it's finances.

Is anyone asking Britain to help EVERYBODY? I don't think that is at all what I or anyone else posting here says. However, at the moment Britsin is doing NOTHING.

This is a responsibity we share with the rest of Europe and it's shocking to see how we are doing nothing.

And Cpt I know the child poverty figures too - they are indicative of the same attitude. I'm alright Jack and I don't care about you. Whether that is people living in poverty here, Using food banks, unable to pay bills, heat houses or buy school uniforms, facing a massive fine for stealing mars bars cos their benefits had been sanctioned or whether its asylum seekers or migrants in Calais, or in boats in the Mediterranean - it's the same "we can't look after everyone so we will just look after ourselves" attitude.

All I suggested was we try to think about what we CAN do to help people internationally and domestically.
    Last edited by squidge; 14-Aug-15 at 14:00.

However, at the moment Britsin is doing NOTHING.
    Have you ever lived in Kent ?

No, I lived in Manchester but as my post asked what would you do to do something to help people internationally and domestically? What are your "can do" rather than "can't do" ideas?

Rt Hon David Cameron MP: Provide urgent medical support to vulnerable...

Petition by Philip Andrews · 60,562 supporters

No, I lived in Manchester
    What you need to do then, is go and spend a month in either the Medway Towns, Dover, especially Folkestone Road and Folkestone itself. Then you will see first hand the "nothing" Britain is doing. This has not just happened overnight, this has been going on since I lived there. What do you think happens when people enter this country illegally? Do you think that they are all rounded up and immediately removed from Britain? What about the hundreds, probably thousands of illegal immigrants now that are not caught, where do you think they go?

“We’re not politicians, we don’t pretend to have all the answers, and we’re not charity workers. We’re just normal people from Kent who want to help our fellow human beings with their basic needs,” says Jasmine O’Hara, a member of the Worldwide Tribe in Calais, a grassroots social activist group set up in response to the migrant crisis.
    The ethos behind the group, she says, is “We are all the same. The world is our home and we believe it is imperative to have a global mindset and conscience.” Its Facebook page, where the Worldwide Tribe’s work is documented, has more than 21,000 likes. And the team of seven people, aged between 18 and 39, has raised more than £50,000 in a week.

“We’re not politicians, we don’t pretend to have all the answers, and we’re not charity workers. We’re just normal people from Kent who want to help our fellow human beings with their basic needs,” says Jasmine O’Hara, a member of the Worldwide Tribe in Calais, a grassroots social activist group set up in response to the migrant crisis.
    The ethos behind the group, she says, is “We are all the same. The world is our home and we believe it is imperative to have a global mindset and conscience.” Its Facebook page, where the Worldwide Tribe’s work is documented, has more than 21,000 likes. And the team of seven people, aged between 18 and 39, has raised more than £50,000 in a week.
    Are you just going to continue to copy and paste, what is the point of you being on this thread ?

“We’re not politicians, we don’t pretend to have all the answers, and we’re not charity workers. We’re just normal people from Kent who want to help our fellow human beings with their basic needs,” says Jasmine O’Hara, a member of the Worldwide Tribe in Calais, a grassroots social activist group set up in response to the migrant crisis.The ethos behind the group, she says, is “We are all the same. The world is our home and we believe it is imperative to have a global mindset and conscience.” Its Facebook page, where the Worldwide Tribe’s work is documented, has more than 21,000 likes. And the team of seven people, aged between 18 and 39, has raised more than £50,000 in a week.
    That's what Jeane was talking about. Ordinary people just getting on with it. Just now Cpt Britain is doing nothing to resolve the crisis which is affecting Europe. People, in local towns like in the post above are just getting in with it - doing what they can to help people and ensure that these people who are desperate and living in appalling conditions. What is Britain - the government doing to resolve this situation? Help desperate people to be dealt with properly. Maybe you can tell me what the UK government is doing?

What about the ordinary people who now feel like strangers in their own country swamped in areas which have been directly affected by uncontrolled immigration over the past decades. Why is it some feel that we should just keep the doors open to anyone and everyone who turns up at our door. We have hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants already in this country and sometimes it's quite right to say we no longer wish to accept more people into the country unless they can provide skills we want. It isn't this countries job to act as world policeman or as European refugee camp. It's all well and good hand wringing and keep saying we should do more and more but where do you draw a line and say enough is enough.

Whenever anyone questions your send them all home, don't let them in posts you assume that means open the doors and let everyone in. Why do you do that?

Whenever anyone questions your send them all home, don't let them in posts you assume that means open the doors and let everyone in. Why do you do that?
    Maybe you should read again s l o w l y and understand the simple caveat " unless they can provide the skills we want " simple really you have skills as a country we require go through the legal process accept the rules and welcome.

Rather than just ignore the rule of law and chance your arm and force your way into the country.

It's not as though we don't already have systems in place to handle legitimate asylum seekers, but it's much easier to ignore the existing rules and become hysterical because people are quite deliberately paying gangs to transport them here and then force their way into the country.

I say those who use the current system all well and good those who choose to flout the law and pander to the hysterical liberals within our society who believe every hard luck story them goodbye you're not wanted as you've already proven yourselves not to be law abiding citizens but those quite happy to use illegality to get your own way already.

Seems the real hysteria is being hyped by a certain type of person pandering to people who are quite happy to ignore European law, international law, UK law and then convince us the slightly more cynical but realistic general populous that we should just allow more and more people into the country.

I'm afraid you can't complain about austerity, food banks, poverty, failing NHS, oversized classes, benefits cuts, strained public services then say ahh but we should be allowing tens of thousands more into the country.

It's beginning to sound like some kind of fairytale where everyone can get everything and nothing has to give elsewhere. Maybe just maybe instead of worrying about everyone else everywhere you should turn your efforts to considering those who require assistance within our borders.

Any migrants who reaches Calais has already passes through at least two European countries already sometimes more you seem to think that those already within France are a problem for the UK in reality they are a French problem, which has been passed onto
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 14-Aug-15 at 18:29.

A wee question Squidge, what is the Nats solution to this problem with these refugees be they legal or not? I have not heard much from the gang of 56 or Holyrood, lately, Eck and Nicola have been very lacking with their solutions, maybe you can enlighten us
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Maybe you should read again s l o w l y and understand the simple caveat " unless they can provide the skills we want " simple really you have skills as a country we require go through the legal process accept the rules and welcome. Rather than just ignore the rule of law and chance your arm and force your way into the country. It's not as though we don't already have systems in place to handle legitimate asylum seekers, but it's much easier to ignore the existing rules and become hysterical because people are quite deliberately paying gangs to transport them here and then force their way into the country. I say those who use the current system all well and good those who choose to flout the law and pander to the hysterical liberals within our society who believe every hard luck story them goodbye you're not wanted as you've already proven yourselves not to be law abiding citizens but those quite happy to use illegality to get your own way already.Seems the real hysteria is being hyped by a certain type of person pandering to people who are quite happy to ignore European law, international law, UK law and then convince us the slightly more cynical but realistic general populous that we should just allow more and more people into the country. I'm afraid you can't complain about austerity, food banks, poverty, failing NHS, oversized classes, benefits cuts, strained public services then say ahh but we should be allowing tens of thousands more into the country. It's beginning to sound like some kind of fairytale where everyone can get everything and nothing has to give elsewhere. Maybe just maybe instead of worrying about everyone else everywhere you should turn your efforts to considering those who require assistance within our borders. Any migrants who reaches Calais has already passes through at least two European countries already sometimes more you seem to think that those already within France are ai problem for the UK in reality they are a French problem, which has been passed onto
    And once again - I have made no suggestions that we should let everyone and their dog into the country without any sort of checks or laws. I pointed out in my previous posts how people are getting on with helping others who require assistance within our own borders.

What I have said is that the refugee situation in Calais and within the whole of the EU is an international issue - people are dying, living in squalor, it's affecting our businesses and our citizens and I am simply asking you to think about what we CAN do to sort it out alongside our neighbours rather than what we can't.

Golach I'm not posting on behalf of the SNP - If you want to know their policies then look it up or write to your MP.
    Last edited by squidge; 15-Aug-15 at 23:53.

What I have said is that the refugee situation in Calais and within the whole of the EU is an international issue - people are dying, living in squalor, it's affecting our businesses and our citizens and I am simply asking you to think about what we CAN do to sort it out alongside our neighbours rather than what we can't.

Golach I'm not posting on behalf of the SNP - If you want to know their policies then look it up or write to your MP.
    Well why am I not surprised at Squidge's reply, typical scot nat sloping shoulders, lots of words, but saying nothing.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

It would appear part of the solution was Build Bigger Fences seems the problem at Calais has eased somewhat according to this mornings news.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    It would appear part of the solution was Build Bigger Fences seems the problem at Calais has eased somewhat according to this mornings news.
    I also heard the report. I believe that it has only 'eased' in the sense that the new deployment of a greater number of security personnel along with erection of additional fences has prevented so many migrants from reaching the platforms and attempting to board trains although some are seemingly still managing to get through. This has made things better for holiday makers etc but whether it has 'eased the problem at Calais' remains open to debate. Not in my view anyway.
    Just thought I would write this before I get told again that I have no business posting on this topic or doing the minute amount of copying and pasting that I have been guilty of above, compared to the acres of the stuff that the ruling elite on here have endlessly carried out (on other threads) with never a word said about how they should not be doing so.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast