Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Asylum seekers/Refugees Calais

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Meanwhile a quick hop over the water in the incredibly friendly welcoming Sweden two people pay the ultimate price for unrestricted immigration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dish-IKEA.html

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Meanwhile a quick hop over the water in the incredibly friendly welcoming Sweden two people pay the ultimate price for unrestricted immigration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dish-IKEA.html

I read that yesterday, absolutely shocking, what a shame.

We also shouldn't mention the murder trial all over last nights news where they used machine guns in Glasgow. The offender was Somalian it's not the first time one of these poor immigrants trying to avoid the suppression in their own country has come here and committed heinous acts.

We also shouldn't mention the murder trial all over last nights news where they used machine guns in Glasgow. The offender was Somalian it's not the first time one of these poor immigrants trying to avoid the suppression in their own country has come here and committed heinous acts.
    The shooting was in The Willowbrae area of Edinburgh BT sorry
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

As this thread is in danger of deteriorating into hysteria, let's have an alternative view http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...refugee-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    As this thread is in danger of deteriorating into hysteria, let's have an alternative view http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...refugee-crisis
    I wouldnt say "hysteria" perhaps misinformed would be a better word to use......I posted a url on this thread which exposes what is really gong on in Calais...I am re posting it https://calaismigrantsolidarity.wordpress.com/

People can read the guardian piece and the other url and then perhaps get a better understanding of the situation

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    The shooting was in The Willowbrae area of Edinburgh BT sorry
    Thanks for that I stand corrected Edinburgh not Glasgow although the severity of the actions taken by these individuals isn't mitigated by it being in Edinburgh not Glasgow.

I wouldn't describe legitimate concerns over immigration hysteria, that becomes a fairly typical response to allow those of a certain political persuasion to take some kind of moral high ground.

According to the article you posted 62% aren't economic migrants and 70% of those qualify for asylum.

That would probably be due to the well rehearsed stories they tell officials and papers they have already conveniently destroyed eh route to assist their stories.

Calais only represents 1% of the total of people but that would be on any given day not those who have already made it across and those enroute so a statistic designed to minimalise the reality of a constant stream entering and crossing.

The number of immigrants arriving in Europe is .0027% or 200,000 that's this year not the years prior to or following once again it's a steady influx that's showing no sign of diminishing.

1.2 million in Lebanon well that's the size of a fairly major city.

Then we have the £36.95 compared to France's £56.62 sounds wonderful until we remind ourselves that the other countries have identity cards and no black economy that allows them to work and claim.

We could delve into the 50% figure but that's just nit picking about where the people originate from and does nothing to address the problem as a whole.

You can carry on wading through all the figures and showing how there is another viewpoint but the most crass is the -76439 less, somehow suggesting that a drop in numbers entering this year over last year makes everything alright, let's put that in perspective more than double the number of people living in Caithness and Sutherland.

Once again ignoring the fact we are not a country with a large landmass like France or Germany and are already the most densely populated country in Europe.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 12-Aug-15 at 10:41.

I have a lot of sympathy for the people in genuine need of help, however, I do not condone the violence they have shown in Calais towards lorry drivers, in any way shape or form. You try going to work on a daily basis and being in fear of your life.

I wouldn't describe legitimate concerns over immigration hysteria, that becomes a fairly typical response to allow those of a certain political persuasion to take some kind of moral high ground.
    Not at all a moral high ground - legitimate concerns over immigration are one thing - equating immigrants with dreadful crimes while ignoring the 100s of other reports of dreadful crimes committed by those people who are not immigrants is another. Doing That meant that this thread had the potential to descend into hysterical posts and I'm happy to have headed that off at the pass.
    Then we have the £36.95 compared to France's £56.62 sounds wonderful until we remind ourselves that the other countries have identity cards and no black economy that allows them to work and claim
    You think France has no Black Economy???? Jeezo!!!!! It's thriving.

petition on change.org

We've all seen the news of desperate migrants trying to cross the channel. But few people know about the conditions people are living in. There is no less than a humanitarian crisis on our doorstep and western governments are turning their backs on it.
    I know because I’m a nurse out here in Calais, giving medical support to migrants who have fled their countries because of war and persecution and are now living in horrendous conditions. Whole families are crammed into small tents with poor access to food and water, leading to all sorts of terrible health problems. These include serious skin problems, gangrene, breathing difficulties, diarrhoea and scabies. Many have shattered bones after falling from trucks, have been slashed by razor wire climbing fences or have been beaten up.Some are extremely vulnerable, including children and pregnant women.
    With needs ever increasing, it is charities and not governments that are picking up the pieces. The charity I volunteer for, Doctors of the World, is providing essential medical consultations and also psychological support for the many migrants traumatised by their experiences. The French and British governments, meanwhile, look the other way, blaming each other while ordinary people step up and give money out of their own pockets. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response of those who’ve not just sent us donations but have set up their own crowdfunding pages.
    The UK government has spent millions of taxpayers’ money on security measures to control the migrants. We shouldn’t be standing by and letting those who need our support suffer -- the UK Government must set aside a fund for humanitarian needs.
    Vulnerable people must come before fences and sniffer dogs.

Not at all a moral high ground - legitimate concerns over immigration are one thing - equating immigrants with dreadful crimes while ignoring the 100s of other reports of dreadful crimes committed by those people who are not immigrants is another. Doing That meant that this thread had the potential to descend into hysterical posts and I'm happy to have headed that off at the pass.
    There is nothing hysterical I'm simply highlighting a particularly horrendous crime carried out in major city that serves to remind us that not everyone who comes into this country is law abiding and peaceful hence the requirement for sensible immigration controls. Considering the problems which we are all very well aware of surrounding the Middle East common sense dictates that we as a nation are more careful when allowing people to enter our borders, let alone encourage the vile trade of people smuggling whose proceeds go directly to criminal gangs and terrorist groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    petition on change.orgWe've all seen the news of desperate migrants trying to cross the channel. But few people know about the conditions people are living in. There is no less than a humanitarian crisis on our doorstep and western governments are turning their backs on it.I know because I’m a nurse out here in Calais, giving medical support to migrants who have fled their countries because of war and persecution and are now living in horrendous conditions. Whole families are crammed into small tents with poor access to food and water, leading to all sorts of terrible health problems. These include serious skin problems, gangrene, breathing difficulties, diarrhoea and scabies. Many have shattered bones after falling from trucks, have been slashed by razor wire climbing fences or have been beaten up.Some are extremely vulnerable, including children and pregnant women.With needs ever increasing, it is charities and not governments that are picking up the pieces. The charity I volunteer for, Doctors of the World, is providing essential medical consultations and also psychological support for the many migrants traumatised by their experiences. The French and British governments, meanwhile, look the other way, blaming each other while ordinary people step up and give money out of their own pockets. We’ve been overwhelmed by the response of those who’ve not just sent us donations but have set up their own crowdfunding pages.The UK government has spent millions of taxpayers’ money on security measures to control the migrants. We shouldn’t be standing by and letting those who need our support suffer -- the UK Government must set aside a fund for humanitarian needs.Vulnerable people must come before fences and sniffer dogs.
    Sorry if I don't have much sympathy for people who have broken bones falling off lorries they had no legal right to be on in the first place, slashing themselves on razor wire fences specifically put up so they don't climb over them or being beaten while rioting trying to force their way into areas they have no legal right to be in. Lawlessness is not to be encouraged or rewarded.

It's difficult to know exactly how many illegal immigrants are in Britain.In 2009 the London School of Economics estimated the figure was between 417,000 and 863,000. There's been no major study since.The UK population as of January this year 64,596,000An increase of 491,000 on the previous year.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33266792So if we look at those figures we can extrapolate that roughly 1 person in every 65 worst case scenario is now an illegal immigrant. Maybe slightly more maybe slightly less. How can any right minded person say that this isn't a major issue for a country. Note those figures do not include those legally entering the country.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 12-Aug-15 at 12:12.

Calais.....the need for an agreed EU strategy ?

The number of displaced persons in the world is constantly rising Violence and conflict are the leading causes of this. Europe, which is neighbour to many war zones takes in more than 1.5 million legal migrants
    yearly but in the third quarter of 2014 there were 128,725 illegal immigrants on its territory .The number of asylum seekers could surge to 700,000 (+28%). The number of illegal entries into Europe could rise beyond the 276,113 in 2014 [5] (60,000 of whom via the sea). The detected flow of illegal immigrants has never been as high as in 2014, up by 170% in comparison with 2013. It is due to surge again in 2015 in which the first two months recorded an increase of over 200% in comparison with 2014.

The challenges are significant.

How can Europe mobilise with the international community to prevent the dramatic events that are forcing whole families to try everything in their power to guarantee survival?
    How can the Union be a political and financial relay to make even greater improvements to what has already been done?
    How should the Member States act and cooperate to prevent these transfers of population?
    How do we explain at home that this immigration cannot be prevented short term, that it requires determined action long term, and how can we take on the political responsibility for it in a time when populism is gaining ground, when there are economic difficulties without challenging the notion of free movement and the Schengen Agreements, which, contrary to political discourse, are functioning correctly? We can expect the migratory issue to become increasingly political. Let us hope that Europe can respond intelligently by rejecting generalisations and simplistic discourse by being true to its values, notably in terms of asylum and yet be more effective.

Edited from a lenghty piece http://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/euro...-mediterranean "The Challenge of Illegal Immigration in the Mediterranean" : The Research and studies centre on europe : highly artiulcate impartial researched piece that raises key issues

We can always learn from history and what happened to those who went before us.

Whilst I do not suggest for one reasons are the same non the less similarities can be drawn.

It may be worth reading up on the fall of the Roman Empire.

[QUOTE=BetterTogether;1126887]We can always learn from history and what happened to those who went before us.

Whilst I do not suggest for one reasons are the same non the less similarities can be drawn.

Well in one word Rome fell because of complacency ! Whats causing the mediterean problem stems from the middle east....and we know that the issues stem back to the The Sykes–Picot Agreement, in WW1 when the UK and France carved up the middle east, and lats c20 US warfare disruptions which dramatically changed the poltical landscale....why for greed / oil....so is the US the new roman empire... as we ( the UK ) are nowt but an insignificant pimple on the geo political stage.

Maybe charities could set up a register of people who would be prepared to house, feed, and pay the way for genuine asylum seekers for at least 12 months,

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    Maybe charities could set up a register of people who would be prepared to house, feed, and pay the way for genuine asylum seekers for at least 12 months,
    When Ugandan Asians were expelled from Uganada in early 70's refugees were located and housed all over the country, including Wick, I believe there was a coordinated effort involving charities, churches and the state to help deal with the influx. So I would agree with your suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    Which, in theory is great, in reality, not so much. I lived in Chatham, Kent for a few years, which is where a lot of genuine and as it turned out, not so genuine asylum seekers were placed. Certain parts of Chatham were turned into mini war zones as they had mixed different factions of people in the same area. Not a very pleasant experience, I have to tell you.

PETITION UPDATE

The Humans Behind the Statistics

Philip AndrewsLondon, United Kingdom

13 Aug 2015 — There is a lot of talk in the press at the moment about all the numbers of how many migrants there are and who is taking the most and etc etc that it is easy to forget that each of those is a human being living in situations that makes my stomach turn. We are working hard to improve this but there is still so much more work to do.

It has been overwhelming how in the last 48 hours 50,000 people have already signed this petition. It has been a huge encouragement to the team here to know that so many of you are behind the work we are doing here. I tell some of the migrants I work with and it brings a smile to their faces to know that the headlines they hear about themselves is not what everyone in UK believes.

So thank you very much for your support!

If you haven't already passed this on to your friends and family then please do as I know that there are a lot more people out there who feel the same way we do! Let see if we can't get a 100,000 or maybe a million?

see the dream - make it happen

Phil

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast