Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Asylum seekers/Refugees Calais

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

I suggest they learn the language at School which will help them most in

a. The country they live in
    B. For the future they aspire to.

But minority languages aren't really of much use out in the big wide world yes no doubt I will get jumped all over by a handful of diehards in the western isles but I can live with that.

Maybe you're comprehension of English isn't as good as it might be, I've not said an all or nothing approach to anything that's your somewhat limited interpretation and once again attempt to gain victim hood.

You twist and turn and always attempt to make it about yourself when you fail to get your somewhat tired limited views across.

Like I've already said your viewpoint is sadly quite limited and regressive more suited to a third world dictatorship than a large fully westernised democracy, you constantly wish to impose your views on the majority even though it's quite apparent you hold a minority view.
    That dear Squidge is dictatorial.

See you've tried twisting everything again I've said children deserve a broad education across literature music and the arts not the geographically limited ideological view you hold what an utterly patronising load of old drivel.
    It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to trawl back through your posts on this Org to get a fairly good view on your political ideology.
    You can be English and British that doesn't mean you love your country for two years you rabidly posted on this org about ripping up the Union and how everything was bad so you've hoisted yourself by your own petard my sweet no point trying to do an about turn or deny it.
    Your own brush has well and truly tarred you and to deny everything now would really just undermine any political aspirations you may have.

Those who've followed you must be scratching their heads at your sudden wish to embrace Britishness.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 01-Sep-15 at 10:57.

I am perfectly settled with my English and British identity - I have never said anything different and I see no conflict between beliving that Scotland - the country I live in should govern itself and being a Lancashire lass living here. I don't understand why you think there is some sort of exclusion but again all or nothing - the world according to BT believe in independence - hate Britain. Sorry BT you are again, wrong. You must be getting used to this by now lol

[QUOTE=squidge;1128537]Good!

All education in Scottish Schools should be in Scottish lol BT - that's the dialect, the Scottish accent that most people growing up here speaks with. If you are saying that there is a plan to educate children entirely in the Scots language then, again, you are wrong. Children already however, are taught about Scots and about Gaelic. Gaelic and Scots a the languages that made Scotland - Gaelic was the language of Scotland for years and Scots was the language of the Scottish Court and the law. It is right that we should promote, encourage and enjoy these languages as not simply a historical dead language like Latin, but a language that lives in the people here, Scots is still spoken in many places and there are many who are born with Gaelic and who want to learn Gaelic. These languages are part of Britain along with Welsh and Cornish, why would we see them as somehow "outside".

Squidge what about Doric ?? There is no and never was any generic scots dialect, a langauage in Gaelic yes, but some would argue that the Doric was more than a dialect and a language in its own right. If you know your history you would know that years back you got battered black and blue at school if you spoke doric at school as many would tell you and there are / were thousands who know and use the Doric...just do a bitty o digging roond Aiberdeen

Don't forget about Cathness dialect folks
    All this talk of Scottish language is laughable, we have English and Gaelic, however English always has been the more widely used.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Don't forget about Cathness dialect folks
    All this talk of Scottish language is laughable, we have English and Gaelic, however English always has been the more widely used.
    AYe we have regional dialiects and always hev ye ken, an its a beeg laugh to hear fye foulk who ken nowt aboot ae twangs rantin on aboot fit they call ae Scots twang...gie me a break will ye, some foulk on here chirp aweye lek sprougies!!

Rob - are you suggesting that i shouldnt have an opinion on Gaelic and its promotion and teaching or on the Scots language or on minority languages per se? Why are you allowed an opinion, Davth allowed one, BT allowed one and yet not I?

Dialects and languages are wonderful things, I love language and words, I think that Gaelic and Welsh and Cornish and Doric and lallands Scots and Scots itself, lancashire Dialect, geordie and all our regional accents are worth protecting and developing so that people own them. I can still spot a caithness dialect in a crowwded room and it always makes me smile. Tthe benefits of being bilingual are well known and as Gaelic and Welsh are languages of the British Isles then people should have the opportunity to learn them. Why not? No one is forcing people that dont want to learn Gaelic to learn Gaelic but as a language of Scotland it should be promoted and cherished - if it isnt then what happened to it in the past - just like what happened to Doric will happen again and I think Britain will be the poorer for it.

just as an aside - the suggestion that £26 million is being spent on Gaelic road signs needs to be clarified. Here for you guys who have been frothing at the mouth over Gaelic road signs are the facts.

£26m is in fact roughly £3m more than the entire annual budget for ALL Gaelic-related activities in Scotland under the six-year Gaelic National Plan, including BBC Alba which costs £13 million. and does a valuable job even for English speakers, broadcasting lower-league football and minority sports like shinty, even if most viewers can’t follow the commentary).The government body charged with promoting the language, the Bòrd na Gàidhlig, has an annual budget of £5.1 million. Independent research suggests that such investment actually pays for itself in terms of various benefits to the economy.

Bilingual roadsigns weren’t instigated by the SNP as part of its dastardly obsession with inculcating seperatism, Gleeber has already pointed ou that they were instigated by the labour/libdem administration in 2003 The Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act, which set out “the status of the Gaelic language as an official language of Scotland commanding equal respect to the English language”, was passed by the labour/lib dem Government in 2005, and subsequently enthusiastically backed by the tories.
    Indeed the Tories had a manifesto in 2011 which said they “remain committed to the promotion of the Gaelic language and culture”.

The actual total budget for “Gaelic road signs” is not £6m but £2m, and is actually just the budget for roadsigns generally – Gaelic names will only be added when signs need replacing making the real cost effectively zero.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer for you - it seems it might be you who know nowt about it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Rob - are you suggesting that i shouldnt have an opinion on Gaelic and its promotion and teaching or on the Scots language or on minority languages per se? Why are you allowed an opinion, Davth allowed one, BT allowed one and yet not I?

Dialects and languages are wonderful things, I love language and words, I think that Gaelic and Welsh and Cornish and Doric and lallands Scots and Scots itself, lancashire Dialect, geordie and all our regional accents are worth protecting and developing so that people own them. I can still spot a caithness dialect in a crowwded room and it always makes me smile. Tthe benefits of being bilingual are well known and as Gaelic and Welsh are languages of the British Isles then people should have the opportunity to learn them. Why not? No one is forcing people that dont want to learn Gaelic to learn Gaelic but as a language of Scotland it should be promoted and cherished - if it isnt then what happened to it in the past - just like what happened to Doric will happen again and I think Britain will be the poorer for it.

just as an aside - the suggestion that £26 million is being spent on Gaelic road signs needs to be clarified. Here for you guys who have been frothing at the mouth over Gaelic road signs are the facts.

£26m is in fact roughly £3m more than the entire annual budget for ALL Gaelic-related activities in Scotland under the six-year Gaelic National Plan, including BBC Alba which costs £13 million. and does a valuable job even for English speakers, broadcasting lower-league football and minority sports like shinty, even if most viewers can’t follow the commentary).The government body charged with promoting the language, the Bòrd na Gàidhlig, has an annual budget of £5.1 million. Independent research suggests that such investment actually pays for itself in terms of various benefits to the economy.

Bilingual roadsigns weren’t instigated by the SNP as part of its dastardly obsession with inculcating seperatism, Gleeber has already pointed ou that they were instigated by the labour/libdem administration in 2003 The Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act, which set out “the status of the Gaelic language as an official language of Scotland commanding equal respect to the English language”, was passed by the labour/lib dem Government in 2005, and subsequently enthusiastically backed by the tories.
    Indeed the Tories had a manifesto in 2011 which said they “remain committed to the promotion of the Gaelic language and culture”.

The actual total budget for “Gaelic road signs” is not £6m but £2m, and is actually just the budget for roadsigns generally – Gaelic names will only be added when signs need replacing making the real cost effectively zero.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer for you - it seems it might be you who know nowt about it after all.
    "Rob - are you suggesting that i shouldnt have an opinion on Gaelic and its promotion and teaching or on the Scots language or on minority languages per se? Why are you allowed an opinion, Davth allowed one, BT allowed one and yet not I?....Whatever made you think that ? You stated your opinion/s as always wheter we respect them or not or agree with them so stop contradicting yourself or could it be you cant stand being proved wrong, as you never once mentioned one of scotlands most alive dialects / "language"...Doric, and I rectified, quite rightly, your obvious ommission ! Why not have Doric road signs and a Doric plan....Gaelic was never ever the language of all Scotland, once again if I may correct you, Gaelic is the traditional language of the Gaels, ie the heartlands of the highlands and some islands. May I suggest its some ( prominent political ) Caithnessians that predominantly froth over Gaelic road signs, Im not that bothered, other than I recognise the stupidty over having gaelic road signs in a traditional non speaking Gaelic area, I mean you may as well have welsh or cornish road signs. BBC ALba, I watch the football and Bella, great stuff you dont need to know whats being said watch the football and listen to the music, gaelic is incidental to the programmes. Did I even stray into mentioning that........... Bilingual roadsigns weren’t instigated by the SNP as part of its dastardly obsession with inculcating seperatism.....nah....thats you introducing your political agenda and sounding paranoid at that, overall Squidge a 3/10 posting.....do you know fit a sprougie is by the way ?
    Last edited by rob murray; 01-Sep-15 at 16:39.

[QUOTE=squidge;1128537]Good!

All education in Scottish Schools should be in Scottish lol BT - that's the dialect, the Scottish accent that most people growing up here speaks with. If you are saying that there is a plan to educate children entirely in the Scots language then, again, you are wrong. Children already however, are taught about Scots and about Gaelic. Gaelic and Scots a the languages that made Scotland - Gaelic was the language of Scotland for years and Scots was the language of the Scottish Court and the law.

Gaelic ceased to be the language of Scotland by 1400, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotti...ic_in_Scotland a very interesting url, what I think you call "Scots" is Inglis...a scottish variation on English, we have predominantly spoken English with regional daliects / variations as scots for over 7 centuries...sorry

Isn't amazing how confused and comfuzzled some become when trying to justify the forcing of a non indigenous language onto an area, whilst I know that in the Caithness and Sutherland region there may well of been small pockets of Gaelic speakers the language was never widely spoken here.
    It doesn't really matter which party forced a ridiculous piece of legislation through or championed it, at the end of the day it remains an absurd waste of taxpayers money and does nothing more than show how some of the political class are completely out of touch with what the vast majority of the populace want and are more interested in listening to small pressure groups.
    The same can be said for immigration of course there are people who want to help every man and his dog with every problem they might possibly have during their lives.
    Quite a large percentage of the population would rather the government get on with running the country for the benefit of the population.
    Which also includes ensuring that our borders are secure and that immigration is controlled not the tsunami we have witnessed over the last few decades.
    Squidge quite rightly states that a large percentage of the world are a lot worse off than us, but if we allow everyone who thinks they can just enter our society come in then in due course this small island, which is already densely populated will suffer from the same problems as many of those poorer countries.
    On one hand we have the constant postings of how the NHS is under strain, how we have food banks, insufficient housing, poverty starvation already within this nation and with a swift draw of breath we are supposed to help everyone who has a desire to enter the country regardless of its impact on the country.
    I'm sure these people don't see the astounding lack of joined up thinking it beggars belief that they can't understand that the two problems are interlinked and one goes hand in hand with the other.
    Politicians across Europe are struggling to deal with what is effectively a mass exodus with Millions on the move but here we are led to believe just be nice and everything will be ok we've enough cash for everything it grows on a magic money tree somewhere and no one ever has to pay for anything in real life.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 01-Sep-15 at 16:35.

Well....how can you link in non indigenous language with secure borders, impact on unchecked immigration / NHS / foodbacks etc etc and controlled immigration....kinda like linking Kylie Minogue with Led Zeppelin !!!!

Now there's a thorn to deal with if you're born in this Nation you're considered British, but the authorities will quite happily say you're the son of an immigrant or descended from whatever nationality your family comes from. This in itself isn't an issue but currently what we are seeing are a sizeable number of young men and women of 2nd and 3rd Generation immigrant families who are heading off to Syria to fight in a war with Dayesh. It's pointless denying the realities it doesn't make you racist to deal with the harsh realities of the situation what it does serve to do is show that multiculturalism in some areas has failed. The mere fact these people feel so dispossessed by the society they live in is sufficient proof.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Now there's a thorn to deal with if you're born in this Nation you're considered British, but the authorities will quite happily say you're the son of an immigrant or descended from whatever nationality your family comes from. This in itself isn't an issue but currently what we are seeing are a sizeable number of young men and women of 2nd and 3rd Generation immigrant families who are heading off to Syria to fight in a war with Dayesh. It's pointless denying the realities it doesn't make you racist to deal with the harsh realities of the situation what it does serve to do is show that multiculturalism in some areas has failed. The mere fact these people feel so dispossessed by the society they live in is sufficient proof.
    Im not calling you a rascist just couldnt see how you could link the points you made, but you make good points in your last post

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Well....how can you link in non indigenous language with secure borders, impact on unchecked immigration / NHS / foodbacks etc etc and controlled immigration....kinda like linking Kylie Minogue with Led Zeppelin !!!!
    Well non indigenous languages is one part of the post.

Then it moves on to how governments should be looking after the country point two.

Finally NHS, housing, food banks and unfettered immigration do fit quite happily together if you think it through as an extra 10,000 people have to be housed somewhere apparently in all the housing we don't have, all have to have NHS treatment from a system already creaking under the strain. It's about the extra burden placed on the infrastructure and additional services provided in this society.

Also for those persnickety people the 10,000 is a purely for example not based on anything more than a random number to get a point across

As for Kylie and Led it's easy guv it's all music to my ears.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 01-Sep-15 at 17:22.

Cant we just let the fit women in ?? .. I have just seen some of the women protesting in Hungary on TV about not being allowed in to go where they want without being registered or documented in anyway and to be fair some are as cute as a button. None so far are wearing the Batman getup so thats a positive thing. Unless you're an eye man and thats your thing. Anyhoo, this thread is getting completly out of hand. Someone has just dared to compare Kylie Minouge and Led Zeppelin when one is a musical collossus that will be revered down the generations and the other is just some band from the seventies.

Lets just get the hotties in and bask in their gratitude.
    Wolves dont lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011