Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wick Gala makes national news for all the wrong reasons !

believe me i wasn't playing the troll card, i genuinely thought you can't be so stupid

there is a long and well documented history of the golly online, but most modern day, modern thinking people realise the connection to it's racist past.

don't embarrass yourself by saying leprechauns insult the gingers or whatever daft line you're going down, throw away the spade, if you honestly believe your own drivel, then you are part the noisy minority who will either grow up and learn what goes on in the real world outside of the cosy caithness border or whither away and die

(if you google image the golly, the only pictures of people dressed up like them are the ones from Wick. What does this tell you ?)

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    there is a long and well documented history of the golly online, but most modern day, modern thinking people realise the connection to it's racist past.
    Racism is a mindset or the act of discriminating against a person purely because of their genetics.

Do you genuinely believe the fundraisers involved wish harm or offence towards black people?

If they did, that is racism. If they did not, it is not.

don't embarrass yourself by saying leprechauns insult the gingers or whatever daft line you're going down, throw away the spade, if you honestly believe your own drivel, then you are part the noisy minority who will either grow up and learn what goes on in the real world outside of the cosy caithness border or whither away and die
    I'm not embarrassed, but thanks anyway.

Why not answer the question? Why is it okay to parody a little ginger bearded character but not a little black one?

you are part the noisy minority who will either grow up and learn what goes on in the real world outside of the cosy caithness border or whither away and die
    Unfortunately I am currently many miles away from the cosy Caithness border, working in Asia with a Thai on my left hand side and an Indian on my right. Both good friends who I will be buying a drink for this evening. Because I don't discriminate on genetics.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

'Racism is a mindset', aye, try telling that to some of the folk who's mindset actually has to put up with it

next time you get a shot at working in Nigeria, leave your secure compound and go into the nearest town dressed as a golly singing 'Hallo Mammy' and then get back to me

were all agreed that the silly wee dafties didn't mean any harm by what they did, regardless of whether they meant it or not, they've offended people

i can't answer your question about taking the piss out of gingers, because... yawn ... gingers aren't a race of people

'Racism is a mindset', aye, try telling that to some of the folk who's mindset actually has to put up with it
    Read again. I said it was a mindset OR an act.

next time you get a shot at working in Nigeria, leave your secure compound and go into the nearest town dressed as a golly singing 'Hallo Mammy' and then get back to me
    I wouldn't be doing that. Why would I? They don't have galas where it's tradition to dress up in costumes of other people or characters.

i can't answer your question about taking the piss out of gingers, because... yawn ... gingers aren't a race of people
    Ah, so you can take the piss out of people due to one aspect of their genetic makeup, but not another?

Have a listen to yourself man, you're a bigot.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    So lynching is acceptable but dressing up is not? There has to be an irony there. Those who preach tolerance are often those least willing to practice it.In answer to your question, how amusing a jihadi costume would be would depend on how well it was done but yes, that is the kind of thing I would expect to see on a gala float, something topical and something currently in the news and in public mind.
    Where did I say that lynching was acceptable? You do have a weird sense of humour if you would expect to see a jihadi gala float, perhaps with a decapitated effigy by his side, hahaha what fun. I wonder why Robinsons dropped the logo so many years ago?

Next time your working in Nigeria leave your secure compound dressed as you are walk into town etc. oh and good luck if you return in one piece!!

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Racism is a mindset or the act of discriminating against a person purely because of their genetics.Do you genuinely believe the fundraisers involved wish harm or offence towards black people?If they did, that is racism. If they did not, it is not.I'm not embarrassed, but thanks anyway.Why not answer the question? Why is it okay to parody a little ginger bearded character but not a little black one? Unfortunately I am currently many miles away from the cosy Caithness border, working in Asia with a Thai on my left hand side and an Indian on my right. Both good friends who I will be buying a drink for this evening. Because I don't discriminate on genetics.
    Have you tried tanning your skin and putting on a turban or taping back your eyes and donning a long moustache when you go for a drink with them to show how racially sympathetic you are ? I very much doubt you have nor would you dare try for fear of causing offence !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    Next time your working in Nigeria leave your secure compound dressed as you are walk into town etc. oh and good luck if you return in one piece!!
    Your an oil worker ? Dead right mate...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Have you tried tanning your skin and putting on a turban or taping back your eyes and donning a long moustache when you go for a drink with them to show how racially sympathetic you are ? I very much doubt you have nor would you dare try for fear of causing offence !

No, I wouldn't do either of these things. Why would I?

And yes, one reason I wouldn't would be to avoid causing offence.

But walking through a street in a foreign country dressed to provoke locals and attending a long established, fancy dress parade at home to raise money for charity are two completely different things.

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123