Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wick Gala makes national news for all the wrong reasons !

Oh for goodness sake, mountain out a molehill!

People are dying, starving, homeless and people turn a blind eye.....dress up as a character from a long ago written book and all hell breaks loose.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Seems the predominately white population have now become arbiters of what is considered racially offensive to people of other races.

"Seems the predominately white population have now become arbiters of what is considered racially offensive to people of other races."
    Yes that sums it up entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    very little non whites..
    Are they midgets or dwarves?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Are they midgets or dwarves?
    I wish there was a "like" button on this !!

I lived in London (Walthamstow) and the South East, Gravesend and Chatham, Kent for a few years, you have to adapt very quickly to your surroundings and the people within those surroundings. As such, if this discussion was in a forum in that area, I would write golly, and that would be it, I would not use it's full title, even writing it is deemed as highly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Just wondering...

Is using fake tan racist?

Is a man in drag sexist? (what is the difference between a man wearing womans clothing & a woman wearing mens clothing)
    Exactly.

Would people be up in arms if they were dressed as red indians? What about vikings? Ninjas? Morris dancers?

What is the crime here?

Racism is the belief that some is inferior solely due to their genetic background. Plain and simple.

If somebody dresses up or disguises themselves as someone of a particular ethnic background in order to ridicule, demean or insult that race then yes, I 100% agree they should be punished as a racist.

But dressing up as someone of another race for the purpose of humour and fundraising is not racism, and not a crime.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    But dressing up as someone of another race for the purpose of humour and fundraising is not racism, and not a crime.
    last time i checked golliwogs aren't a race

they are in fact an old fashioned piss take of black people, that's why nobody outside of wick dresses up as them

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    last time i checked golliwogs aren't a race
    No, but the basis of this outrage is that people believe racism is apparent towards blacks. It's not the fact they were gollywogs that seems to be offending a large number of people, but that the were 'blackened' up.

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    they are in fact an old fashioned piss take of black people, that's why nobody outside of wick dresses up as them
    In what way are they a "piss take".

Gollywogs were characters from childrens books a couple of hundred years ago. I've seen no evidence that they were ever intended to ridicule black people anymore than Sooty ridicules bears or Sweep ridicules dogs.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

In what way are they a "piss take".
    In that they are depictions of black people, exaggerated for comic effect. Am I being too obvious.

Gollywogs were characters from childrens books a couple of hundred years ago. I've seen no evidence that they were ever intended to ridicule black people
    Attitudes to black people a couple of hundred years ago were not ideal!

I don't care about these people dressing up . I watched the parade and didn't even see them. I'm not surprised there were complaints though. There have been complaints at other towns' galas for the same reason.
    Last edited by sids; 30-Jul-15 at 06:45.

I notice how it's all white people trying to defend this. I guess wick must be the most racially insensitive town in the UK. For a starter it's is considered racially offensive not by white people but by people of African Descent so those who can't understand maybe you're of the wrong racial background. The term is now Golli the perjorative term on the end will get you charged just about anywhere in the UK apart from Wick it seems. If you want to feel so justified go down to Tower Hamlets London or St Paul's Bristol don your silly wee costume and wait to see how long it is before a large crowd gathers around you and you either end up in custody or in intensive care.

In that they are depictions of black people, exaggerated for comic effect. Am I being too obvious.
    Gollywogs are not depictions of black people, a gollywog was a fictional creature in it's own right.

Would it have made the national press if someone had dressed up as a Leprechaun?

- Charles de Gaulle

Gollywogs are not depictions of black people, a gollywog was a fictional creature in it's own right. Would it have made the national press if someone had dressed up as a Leprechaun?
    Maybe you should read this article from all the way back in 2012.http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...wback-tory-mps

Put it to the test then.
    Take one person dressed as a leprechaun and one blacked up as per the pics.
    Stick them in any major multicultural city and see who gets lynched first.
    I know which one it would be.
    Would it have been equally as "amusing" if they had dressed as jihadi's?

Gollywogs are not depictions of black people
    Says who?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Put it to the test then.
    Take one person dressed as a leprechaun and one blacked up as per the pics.
    Stick them in any major multicultural city and see who gets lynched first.
    I know which one it would be.
    Would it have been equally as "amusing" if they had dressed as jihadi's?
    So lynching is acceptable but dressing up is not? There has to be an irony there. Those who preach tolerance are often those least willing to practice it.

In answer to your question, how amusing a jihadi costume would be would depend on how well it was done but yes, that is the kind of thing I would expect to see on a gala float, something topical and something currently in the news and in public mind.

- Charles de Gaulle

Says who?

A gollywog is a character, I think the original term for them was a 'gnome'. In the same way a Leprechaun is a fairy.

If gollywog gnomes are a slur on black people then Leprechaun fairies are a slur on ginger people.

- Charles de Gaulle

i wasn't sure at first, but now i know you're trolling - nobody can be this stupid

That's your best response?

If you can't get your point across effectively pull the 'troll' card.

My point is valid and true.

Instead of insult, try answering me this question.

Why is a leprechaun doll acceptable but a gollywog not?

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast