Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick Gala makes national news for all the wrong reasons !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Default Wick Gala makes national news for all the wrong reasons !

It seems Wick Gala has made front page of the telegraph for a racism debacle which shows three people dressed as Gollies during the parade.

This has caused national embarrassment to the town and created a complaint which is now being dealt with by the Police.

As we are all aware modern sensitivies around racial issue are higher than ever and the law is quite clearly written, I'm surprised these people where allowed to take part as anywhere else in the UK they would of been refused or arrested.

If they appeared in a major town or city they'd be lucky to escape uninjured given the sensitivities around the Golly and is racial overtones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...wn-parade.html

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    It seems Wick Gala has made front page of the telegraph for a racism debacle which shows three people dressed as Gollies during the parade.

This has caused national embarrassment to the town and created a complaint which is now being dealt with by the Police.

As we are all aware modern sensitivies around racial issue are higher than ever and the law is quite clearly written, I'm surprised these people where allowed to take part as anywhere else in the UK they would of been refused or arrested.

If they appeared in a major town or city they'd be lucky to escape uninjured given the sensitivities around the Golly and is racial overtones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...wn-parade.html
    WHilst not condoning this I feel that it was an innocent mistake made by youngsters in a community with very little non whites...now if it was done in some parts of the UK, yes in all probability they wouldnt have done it as they would have been aware of the concequences which may have involved violence to them. Does send out all the wrong messages though

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    very little non whites..
    Are they midgets or dwarves?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Are they midgets or dwarves?
    I wish there was a "like" button on this !!

I lived in London (Walthamstow) and the South East, Gravesend and Chatham, Kent for a few years, you have to adapt very quickly to your surroundings and the people within those surroundings. As such, if this discussion was in a forum in that area, I would write golly, and that would be it, I would not use it's full title, even writing it is deemed as highly offensive.

I'm 52, so I was born in 1963, from where I stand, as a child it was perfectly acceptable to have a golly as a toy, and think nothing of it. I think it was Robertson's Jams that had them on all their jars. It certainly was not intended as a racist slur, on my part anyway. My parents used to listen and watch Al Jolson. Then you had the Black and White Minstrel Show on a Saturday evening and I highly doubt they will ever repeat Love Thy Neighbour again. All that is totally unacceptable now.

But then you turn on it's head what was acceptable then, is not now, and what was unacceptable then, say homosexuality which was a criminal offence, is accepted now.

While I never intended any harm, by using the full term Golly***, and I am surprised they printed that, ( in the link ) I now know that it is a highly offensive term, and certainly would not allow my children / youngsters to dress like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I'm 52, so I was born in 1963, from where I stand, as a child it was perfectly acceptable to have a golly as a toy, and think nothing of it. I think it was Robertson's Jams that had them on all their jars. It certainly was not intended as a racist slur, on my part anyway. My parents used to listen and watch Al Jolson. Then you had the Black and White Minstrel Show on a Saturday evening and I highly doubt they will ever repeat Love Thy Neighbour again. All that is totally unacceptable now.

But then you turn on it's head what was acceptable then, is not now, and what was unacceptable then, say homosexuality which was a criminal offence, is accepted now.

While I never intended any harm, by using the full term Golly***, and I am surprised they printed that, ( in the link ) I now know that it is a highly offensive term, and certainly would not allow my children / youngsters to dress like that.
    Times change and the term and dress is now offensive end of. As I said, comming from a largly almost exclusive white area maybe the message hasnt got through....although you would have thought that schools would have hammered home the message....but then maybe not ! Perhaps schools should re visited by police and remind people of the law

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Times change and the term and dress is now offensive end of. As I said, comming from a largly almost exclusive white area maybe the message hasnt got through....although you would have thought that schools would have hammered home the message....but then maybe not ! Perhaps schools should re visited by police and remind people of the law
    That never occurred to me, that it would'nt occur to people here, that dressing up as a golly might be deemed as offensive. Although, granted there is not the same level of diversity in nationalities here, surely they watch the news and read newspapers? It would dawn on them quick enough if they were put where I lived in East London for a month !

agreed, everyone knows of the racist over/undertones, but 'blacking up' seems to be a bit of a laugh up here because they think only black people are offended by racism.

it's a shame such a great even has been marred by this - Donna needs to admit the mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again, to deny any of the organisers even saw them is a bit of an arse covering exercise.

(otherwise how would have this one below been collecting for them?)

Not being funny, but the Policeman is not exactly running after her to arrest her.

What a sad sad world we live in.