Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Cameron Want The Union ?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Or a third way: It's taken them two and a half months to realise they are Opposition MPs in the UK Government and that is their job.
    Yes and no....depends on how you see their strategy. Just back from up the town, saw the herald in the COOP front page headline...."Independence is not a threat to you, SNP to tell rest of UK in major charm offensive" ...their westminster strategy is to go for indepandance....is that what you call "opposition" ?

From The Herald

THE SNP is to lay the ground for a second referendum by reaching out to business and civic society across the rest of the UK in the hope of detoxifying independence. Angus Robertson, the party’s Westminster leader, has ordered his MPs to conduct “outreach planning for the rest of the UK” over the summer in order to build trust and forge alliances with organisations in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Irish republic.
    The strategy is to establish the SNP’s bona fides outwith Scotland and convince stakeholders that independence would not threaten the other home nations.
    A party source admitted there had been a failure to persuade civic society outside Scotland last year, resulting in unhelpful hostility towards independence across the political spectrum.
    The outreach plan is designed “to foster a more benign view of the SNP so that, as when there is another referendum, there could be a different response,” the source said.

SO there you have it the 56 are not there to represent consitiuent issues, not to act as opposition MP's in a traditinal sense, but first and foremost abobe all, to foster "a more benign view of the SNP so that, as when there is another referendum, there could be a different response"

I feel we are now in an Orwellian landscape where no means yes !!

You had football TV at work?

And you left!
    In my defence though, it was BT ! They showed all the major sporing events, Football, The Grand National, Golf and so on. It cut down on the absences !

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Yes and no....depends on how you see their strategy. Just back from up the town, saw the herald in the COOP front page headline...."Independence is not a threat to you, SNP to tell rest of UK in major charm offensive" ...their westminster strategy is to go for indepandance....is that what you call "opposition" ?

From The Herald

THE SNP is to lay the ground for a second referendum by reaching out to business and civic society across the rest of the UK in the hope of detoxifying independence. Angus Robertson, the party’s Westminster leader, has ordered his MPs to conduct “outreach planning for the rest of the UK” over the summer in order to build trust and forge alliances with organisations in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Irish republic.
    The strategy is to establish the SNP’s bona fides outwith Scotland and convince stakeholders that independence would not threaten the other home nations.
    A party source admitted there had been a failure to persuade civic society outside Scotland last year, resulting in unhelpful hostility towards independence across the political spectrum.
    The outreach plan is designed “to foster a more benign view of the SNP so that, as when there is another referendum, there could be a different response,” the source said.

SO there you have it the 56 are not there to represent consitiuent issues, not to act as opposition MP's in a traditinal sense, but first and foremost abobe all, to foster "a more benign view of the SNP so that, as when there is another referendum, there could be a different response"

I feel we are now in an Orwellian landscape where no means yes !!
    Frightening, did the last Referendum not cause quite enough damage for them, were not enough divisions created for them?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    In my defence though, it was BT
    I remember people used to leave BT for jobs at Norfrost.

It is all so stupid and infantile and immature, isn't it when many thousands of Scots (including Caithnesians) are happily living and working in England, thank you very much! My daughter is one of them, living and working in London which she totally loves for it's cultural diversity and opportunities on all fronts. She loves to come home too as well- can see and appreciate the good in all places and that is how it should be.
    Nationalist abuse directed by anyone towards anyone is always wrong and to be condemned and for the life of me, I cannot understand why folk can't just feel pride in their origins wherever they happen to come from within the Uk (and elsewhere) because there is good everywhere and always good things to be proud of!
    Life is just too short to live it any other way and we all have a choice and should use it wisely and maybe remember all those sayings (Biblical and other wise) which most of us were nurtured on such as 'doing unto others as you would have them do unto you' and all that! So I think in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    It is all so stupid and infantile and immature, isn't it when many thousands of Scots (including Caithnesians) are happily living and working in England, thank you very much! My daughter is one of them, living and working in London which she totally loves for it's cultural diversity and opportunities on all fronts. She loves to come home too as well- can see and appreciate the good in all places and that is how it should be.
    Nationalist abuse directed by anyone towards anyone is always wrong and to be condemned and for the life of me, I cannot understand why folk can't just feel pride in their origins wherever they happen to come from within the Uk (and elsewhere) because there is good everywhere and always good things to be proud of!
    Life is just too short to live it any other way and we all have a choice and should use it wisely and maybe remember all those sayings (Biblical and other wise) which most of us were nurtured on such as 'doing unto others as you would have them do unto you' and all that! So I think in any case.
    I agree, I have always treated people the way I wanted people to treat me. I admit, moving to London in 1987 was a bit of a cultural shock in the beginning, I never got used to the heat down there, it was so oppressive at times, and of course the food was different, you could'nt get Wallace's pies or bridies there ! I am sure your daughter is having a great time in London, and honestly, the opportunities are endless now she is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Well said sir, my son to works in London, he is a music journalist and interacts with big companies, PR companies and conducts both face to face and telephone interviews with loads of "names" , he was born and lived in wick up to the age of 10 and thereafter spent 7 years in Tain and 4 years in Dundee, he still has a bit of the week twang....anyway his accent is regulary picked up on and he is nearly always asked where he comes from in an inquisitive sorta way....when he says Scottish and he's originally from Wick near John O Groats....well everyone has heard of JOhn O Groats...he has never had any hassle whatsoever in London, but was severly hacked off when he was deprived of the vote in the referendum as he is scottish and proud of it...as he jokes ..he's the founding member of the London Scorries ( Wick Academy FC fans ). Yes live and let live its a big world out there

I remember people used to leave BT for jobs at Norfrost.
    The reason I am in Caithness is because my partner worked for BT in Dundee, and they persuaded him to move here because they told him his job would be safe, he is an IT Engineer, and at the time there were three engineers in Dundee, and nobody here. So, we moved here in 2009, he was then made redundant less than a year later. So these poor people that left BT for Norfrost, probably, like us thought it was the right decision, and might be better for them.

Frightening, did the last Referendum not cause quite enough damage for them, were not enough divisions created for them?
    The NSP werent damaged, the divisions caused by the propoganda circulated during the referedum and their after effects, have soured things ever since.

Well said sir, my son to works in London, he is a music journalist and interacts with big companies, PR companies and conducts both face to face and telephone interviews with loads of "names" , he was born and lived in wick up to the age of 10 and thereafter spent 7 years in Tain and 4 years in Dundee, he still has a bit of the week twang....anyway his accent is regulary picked up on and he is nearly always asked where he comes from in an inquisitive sorta way....when he says Scottish and he's originally from Wick near John O Groats....well everyone has heard of JOhn O Groats...he has never had any hassle whatsoever in London, but was severly hacked off when he was deprived of the vote in the referendum as he is scottish and proud of it...as he jokes ..he's the founding member of the London Scorries ( Wick Academy FC fans ). Yes live and let live its a big world out there
    My daughter was so annoyed she did'nt get the vote as well, she lives in Hastings but was born in Scotland. What really annoyed her was, University students (overseas ones) got the vote, they would be in this country for four years at the most, the outcome had no bearing on them whatsoever, but they had a say in our future.

The NSP werent damaged, the divisions caused by the propoganda circulated during the referedum and their after effects, have soured things ever since.
    Sorry, that's what I meant, the divisions created in families and so on, because of the referendum.

In my opinion, the SNP should have disbanded after that, but no, they came out of it glowing!
    Last edited by cptdodger; 17-Jul-15 at 14:02.

The reason I am in Caithness is because my partner worked for BT in Dundee, and they persuaded him to move here because they told him his job would be safe, he is an IT Engineer, and at the time there were three engineers in Dundee, and nobody here. So, we moved here in 2009, he was then made redundant less than a year later. So these poor people that left BT for Norfrost, probably, like us thought it was the right decision, and might be better for them.
    They may have left BT but BT had varying kinds of contractual work in Thurso, ie from low level jobs ( low paid which is why anyone would leave BT to go to equally, low paid low skilled assembly line work at Norfrost...hell some people must have been desperate ! ) to higher level IT support jobs which your partner did, anyway there is no norfrost now and hasnt been for years.

They may have left BT but BT had varying kinds of contractual work in Thurso, ie from low level jobs ( low paid which is why anyone would leave BT to go to equally, low paid low skilled assembly line work at Norfrost...hell some people must have been desperate ! ) to higher level IT support jobs which your partner did, anyway there is no norfrost now and hasnt been for years.
    It did'nt do him any good, they left us stranded here !!

My daughter was so annoyed she did'nt get the vote as well, she lives in Hastings but was born in Scotland. What really annoyed her was, University students (overseas ones) got the vote, they would be in this country for four years at the most, the outcome had no bearing on them whatsoever, but they had a say in our future.
    Aye NSP, fly bar stewards....lowering the voting age in an attempt to get more votes ( they didna, that blew up in their faces ) and depriving scots living in UK outside of scotland....didnt know that over seas students got the vote...I can see why though...more open to vote yes...buy into the freedom propoganda...the braveheart votes... now I never figured out why they stopped scots living out with scotland in the UK....any thoughts into this blatant gerry madering ??

It did'nt do him any good, they left us stranded here !!
    I know what a bunch of lying b......'s ! Hope all is ok with you though.

I know what a bunch of lying b......'s ! Hope all is ok with you though.
    Not too bad now thank you, luckily he went back to what he used to do, and that was a receptionist at a hotel, then he got a contract at Vulcan, but to get okay took five years !

Aye NSP, fly bar stewards....lowering the voting age in an attempt to get more votes ( they didna, that blew up in their faces ) and depriving scots living in UK outside of scotland....didnt know that over seas students got the vote...I can see why though...more open to vote yes...buy into the freedom propoganda...the braveheart votes... now I never figured out why they stopped scots living out with scotland in the UK....any thoughts into this blatant gerry madering ??
    I doubt they wanted anybody's vote that (in their eyes) had lived under English influence for so long !!
    Last edited by cptdodger; 17-Jul-15 at 19:44.

Not too bad now thank you, luckily he went back to what he used to do, and that was a receptionist at a hotel, then he got a contract at Vulcan, but to get okay took five years !
    Jee whiz.....glad it all worked out though !

I doubt they wanted anybodies vote that (in their eyes) had lived under English influence for so long !!
    Could be....London is bigger than the entire country of Scotland.....anyone living down there soon realises that scotland is a "village" in media terms especially the music business / media...basically there is not a lot going in Scotland on and every one knows everyone...in London well its a lot lot bigger....scots in London soon get a sense of perspective and I can see a lot of scots down suoth voting no...exactly on that basis...so thats why I would think they never got to vote...anyway its blatant gerry mandering and anti democratic and ive yet to hear a yes voter give a realistic believable explanation on this issue ?

Nothing to do with this thread at all, but Rob do you remember I was talking about watching the history of all the Highland hospitals on their television at Raigmore? I asked The Highland Archive Centre on facebook if there was a link this is what they replied to me -

Highland Archive Centre Valerie, Hi. This presentation is not available online. It was derived from a research project undertaken on behalf of the NHS. A copy of the final report 'The Hospitals of the Highlands - their origin and development' is available to view in the Archive Searchroom. Many of the images are taken from photographs held in the NHS Highland Health Board Archives which again are available to view in our searchroom. Please contact us directly at archives@highlifehighland.com if you have any further questions. HAC

So, I take it from that they have a website as well !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast