Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Our new MPS first speech in westminster :

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    You must have mentioned it to some ill-mannered hothead.

Lots of Caithness people visit Dunrobin.
    Im a Wicker, Ive been there myself twice, and a good day out but I never ever saw a single mention of Strathnaver, they have a shield with badges of all the old sutherland parish churches, but Strathnaver was missing. Whether you believe it or not there is still hatred in parts for what was done in Sutherland, a good example was a talk given a few years back in Dornoch by an academic outlining the latest theory behind the clearnances being that it was a social experiment that was badly handled.......ie good idea but poorly executed, the talk was stopped and the guy had to beat a very hasty retreat. Call the people who reacted badly to this fanciful notion, hot headed and ill mannered if you wish, I have my own personal thoughts on the social experiment theory. You cannot air brush proven historical facts, you cannot be a clearance denier, as I said whats done is done, its nowt personal to me just history and I like to get to the core of proven accpeptable historical facts as to understand the present youneed to understand the past.

Perhaps you should do a wee bit of research yourself, focus on the role played by SIr John McNeil in the Barra clearances ( 1840's ) and his mal adminisration of the poor law relied on during the potato / crop failures, his "management" of the island clearances and then consider why even today some people hold justifyable deep hatred towards the perpretators. ( at home and abroad )

The Duke of Sutherland familys at Dunrobin owned 1½million acres of Sutherland by the l820’s — “an area not equalled in theBritish Empire”. Queen Victoria, visiting them in their fabulous residence is reported to have said, “I have come from my house to yourpalace".
    In the Strath of Kildonan alone, just one small part of thevast county of Sutherland, between 1811 and 1831 the population was decimated, from 1574people to just 257. Population consistently dropped through migration to other parts of scotland and abroad
    Just a few historical stats that people maybe interested in knowing.

That is very interesting. Here is a photo of Queen Victoria at Dunrobin - https://www.facebook.com/DunrobinCas...1906596373482/

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    That is very interesting. Here is a photo of Queen Victoria at Dunrobin - https://www.facebook.com/DunrobinCas...1906596373482/
    Cheers......It just goes to show the enormous wealth and power the sutherlands had if the Queen was impressed eh !

Definitely, and if you think about it, that was a fair way to travel for her back then. I would have to check and see when the railway was built, but I would imagine she would have travelled by horse and coach. Plus that was 1872, she really was'nt seen much in public after Prince Albert died, so that was some honour.

You probably already know this, but I found it quite interesting about Dunrobin Railway Station - http://www.scotlandrailholiday.com/dunrobin/history.htm
    Last edited by cptdodger; 14-Jul-15 at 11:19.

Definitely, and if you think about it, that was a fair way to travel for her back then. I would have to check and see when the railway was built, but I would imagine she would have travelled by horse and coach. Plus that was 1872, she really was'nt seen much in public after Prince Albert died, so that was some honour.

You probably already know this, but I found it quite interesting about Dunrobin Railway Station - http://www.scotlandrailholiday.com/dunrobin/history.htm
    I didnt thanks for the link, seemingly the railway reached Golspie by 1868 so Victoria wouldve come by train to Golspie ? The railway from Inverness to the far north opened in several stages. The first to Dingwall opened in 1863.The next stage was to Tain, eventually reaching Golspie in 1868

I would presume it would depend on where she was coming from, but thinking about it, if she was at Balmoral, she would have made her way to Inverness, just as she would if she was in London or Osborne House, so it is quite possible she did use the railway.

I would presume it would depend on where she was coming from, but thinking about it, if she was at Balmoral, she would have made her way to Inverness, just as she would if she was in London or Osborne House, so it is quite possible she did use the railway.
    If you do the tour of Dunrobin you will see photos of other royals from early c20 ie up to Edward VIII who stayed there, mind from the late 1890's their estate like all big highland estates who couldnt compete with imports from Australia / NZ, was less reliant on sheep and was more a hunting shooting fishing toffs holiday home

I have been there a couple of times, but did'nt realise they did tours, there were certainly guides in some of the rooms right enough. I have to say I'm glad I'm not Royal, for the life of me I could not hunt animals for sport. That was the one thing I did not like at Dunrobin, there's a separate building with all manner of stuffed animals, not my cup of tea I'm afraid ! But like everything else, it's big money up here.

I have been there a couple of times, but did'nt realise they did tours, there were certainly guides in some of the rooms right enough. I have to say I'm glad I'm not Royal, for the life of me I could not hunt animals for sport. That was the one thing I did not like at Dunrobin, there's a separate building with all manner of stuffed animals, not my cup of tea I'm afraid ! But like everything else, it's big money up here.
    Not tours as such more when you go round wifies give wee talks in various rooms as you say, aye the trophy room..spooky eh !

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Not tours as such more when you go round wifies give wee talks in various rooms as you say, aye the trophy room..spooky eh !
    I used to work at The Castle Of Mey, and we did individual tours, with a group of people on them, but if there were coaches in, it was what we call "freeflow", so like Dunrobin, there would just be guides in certain rooms. That trophy room, I walked in there saw what it was, and was just about to walk out, but saw a man sitting behind a desk, rather than appear rude, I rather quickly walked round the place, then straight out !! I like their Birds of Prey though, especially Cedar the owl !

I used to work at The Castle Of Mey, and we did individual tours, with a group of people on them, but if there were coaches in, it was what we call "freeflow", so like Dunrobin, there would just be guides in certain rooms. That trophy room, I walked in there saw what it was, and was just about to walk out, but saw a man sitting behind a desk, rather than appear rude, I rather quickly walked round the place, then straight out !! I like their Birds of Prey though, especially Cedar the owl !
    Ive been to the castle of mey on business, was well treated and got a personal tour by the head man there...couldnt help but smile at the Queen mothers record player ( a wee cheapo ) and records....Jim Mcleods Scottish dance band, tapes of Colin Campbell, the same as any elderly local wifie, place felt really homely, kitchen had auld fridge and stuff....... Dunrobin and bigger places lacked the warmth of Mey

That was possibly Mr Murray, who retired a couple of years ago now, he actually lived in Inverness so it was a bit of a trek for him, lovely man though. It is a lovely Castle and they have kept it as near to what it was when The Queen Mother was alive, as they can. I loved working there, but I do'nt drive so public transport was an issue. I love Dunrobin Castle itself, it's like a fairytale Castle !! but I found the inside had loads of tiny rooms. As far as I know, the Duchess of Sutherland now lives in Dornoch, to be honest I do'nt think an elderly lady would be able to cope with the maze of rooms and all the stairs !

That was possibly Mr Murray, who retired a couple of years ago now, he actually lived in Inverness so it was a bit of a trek for him, lovely man though. It is a lovely Castle and they have kept it as near to what it was when The Queen Mother was alive, as they can. I loved working there, but I do'nt drive so public transport was an issue. I love Dunrobin Castle itself, it's like a fairytale Castle !! but I found the inside had loads of tiny rooms. As far as I know, the Duchess of Sutherland now lives in Dornoch, to be honest I do'nt think an elderly lady would be able to cope with the maze of rooms and all the stairs !
    Yes that was the mans name he used to be CO of the QUeens Own Highlanders, very nice man indeed

Do they still have giraffes' necks and heads coming up out of the floor?

There was some fancy plate on display that was a gift from "grateful tenantry."

If I remember rightly, the leggy statue on Ben Bhraggie was financed the same way, i.e.: "You are the grateful tenantry, so pay up!"

Im a Wicker, Ive been there myself twice, and a good day out but I never ever saw a single mention of Strathnaver, they have a shield with badges of all the old sutherland parish churches, but Strathnaver was missing. Whether you believe it or not there is still hatred in parts for what was done in Sutherland, a good example was a talk given a few years back in Dornoch by an academic outlining the latest theory behind the clearnances being that it was a social experiment that was badly handled.......ie good idea but poorly executed, the talk was stopped and the guy had to beat a very hasty retreat. Call the people who reacted badly to this fanciful notion, hot headed and ill mannered if you wish, I have my own personal thoughts on the social experiment theory. You cannot air brush proven historical facts, you cannot be a clearance denier, as I said whats done is done, its nowt personal to me just history and I like to get to the core of proven accpeptable historical facts as to understand the present youneed to understand the past.

Perhaps you should do a wee bit of research yourself, focus on the role played by SIr John McNeil in the Barra clearances ( 1840's ) and his mal adminisration of the poor law relied on during the potato / crop failures, his "management" of the island clearances and then consider why even today some people hold justifyable deep hatred towards the perpretators. ( at home and abroad )
    I'll do none of what you suggest, thanks.

Your guy giving the presentation was obviously on a loser, but he had a sort of point in that there would have been big changes and most of the people would have left anyway. However, you can't excuse inhumanity.

I don't begrudge descendants of the victims their hatred of the landowners, but I have no direct connection with the clearances. I'm just a Wick inhabitant who goes to work every day, from a long line of people who did the same , or had small businesses. I'm not going to construct in my tiny mind some massive grudge against toffs.

Call the people who reacted badly to this fanciful notion, hot headed and ill mannered if you wish,
    Now you're getting creative. Mr Dodger said he mentioned visiting Dunrobin and got chapter and verse about the Highland Clearances; that sounded rude to me.

Now you're giving me permission to call these Dornoch people, of whom I have never heard, hot headed and rude!

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Now you're getting creative. Mr Dodger said he mentioned visiting Dunrobin and got chapter and verse about the Highland Clearances; that sounded rude to me.
    As I said, I honestly do'nt think she was being rude at all, what was made very evident though, was the deep resentment she held for the Sutherlands. Again,as I have said before it was an awful thing that happened, but, and this is just my opinion, there is no point in resenting the current Countess of Sutherland because as far as I know she has not forcibly removed anybody from her lands.

My Mother worked in Tongue House (way,way,back!!)at the end of the season Countessof Sutherland threw a party for guests staying at the time and the staff.I can remember my Dad refusing to go because of what happened to his fore father's.There were lots of "lords and ladies " cousins of the Queen I think.We had a great night we played hide and seek through the big house and garden there was a lad same age as me called John John who wanted to be my boyfriend my Dad would never have forgiven me!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast