Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Our new MPS first speech in westminster :

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Our new MPS first speech in westminster :

A wee clip from our new MPS first speech in westminster :

"The clearances were perpetrated during the 18th and 19thcenturies when highlanders were forced from land they had held for generations.The clearances shifted land use from farming to sheep raising because sheep wereconsidered more valuable than people. In the process, a way of life wasexterminated to further the financial ambitions of aristocratic landowners. Theevictions that took place are remembered for their brutality and for theabruptness of the social change that they prompted. At the time this Parliamentcompounded the inequity by implementing legislation to prohibit the use of theGaelic language, the playing of bagpipes and even the wearing of tartan. Thecumulative effect devastated the cultural landscape of the counties that Irepresent and the resulting impact destroyed much of Scotland’s Gaelic culture".

Ok Paul...the act you refered to , the act of proscription was repealed in 1782...the Caithness clearances ( Reay ) mild clearances, at that, took place in the 1790's and the barbaric clearances of Sutherland / Wester Ross did not start until 1809, Caithness was never ever a gael county either..where have you been min....we never wanted gaelic road signs in Caithness !!!! ....If the guy is going to use history he should get his facts right min !!!!

If your interested in the full speech see

http://www.chagossupport.org.uk/snps-dr-paul-monaghan-speaks-on-chagossian-exile-in-parliament-3482

I am not by any means a political person, but is this Paul Monaghan not a member of the Scottish National Party, and MSP for this area? If so, what on earth is he doing going on about a group of Islands in the Indian Ocean? Do we not have enough problems here he should be concentrating on?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I am not by any means a political person, but is this Paul Monaghan not a member of the Scottish National Party, and MSP for this area? If so, what on earth is he doing going on about a group of Islands in the Indian Ocean? Do we not have enough problems here he should be concentrating on?
    He's a member of the Opposition in the parliament of the UK. It would be a bit of a disgrace, were he to be disinterested in World affairs.

I don't see why Gaelic road signs can't be proscribed, along with tartan trews and chanter music.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I don't see why Gaelic road signs can't be proscribed, along with tartan trews and chanter music.
    Fine but plenty of Caithness people didnt want dual English / Gaelic road signs did they ??? Cos they see themselves as being of norse descent..ie not Gaels. Caithness was never a Gael county...ever

What a man....he also refers to civil rights movement in the US and the Roosevelt new deal........"As a child I learned of the bravery of Rosa Parks and how she changed the world,( she didnt ! ) and as an adult I learned of the personal challenges met and overcome, and of the uncommon political imagination of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. ( Look closer to home Paul....Labours Clem Atlee.....did more in 5 years than the SNP could do in 50 years : how about creating the welfare state / NHS ) In those individuals I found examples not only of bravery but of imagination; the imagination to perceive the benefit of change in a world that aspires to achieve, not receive.Many of those who supported me on 7 May did so in the belief that it is now time to achieve, and their uncommon political imagination sits around me today. Our aim is to achieve the right to build a fairer Scotland; we aim to establish a state of affairs where our old, our disadvantaged and our vulnerable are valued, and where our poor are protected not punished.I made the decision to stand for election to this Parliament knowing, as Mrs Parks did, that “I had the strength of my ancestors with me”

Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke and waffle !! And achieve what exactly Paul my boy.....this is nothing more than pro independance dribble.....dont expect this geezer to be active in working with businesses / promoting and selling Caithness / moving and shaking you know....bringing new industries / jobs to the area....voters...youve been sold a pup....this guy is a misty eyed sentamentalist...we needed a more switched on person with real vision and drive...go out and get em.....tackle post Dounreay Caithness and North Sutherland issues ( the new clearances )....now Scots wah hae.............absolute cringe worthy garbage
    Last edited by rob murray; 10-Jul-15 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Fine but plenty of Caithness people didnt want dual English / Gaelic road signs did they ??? Cos they see themselves as being of norse descent..ie not Gaels. Caithness was never a Gael county...ever
    Am I confusing people?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/proscribe

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary
    Forbid, especially by law:
    strikes remained proscribed in the armed forces

I didnt want them coz theyre a waste of my taxes, theres far more important things to spend money on in the community than signs no one can read or cares about

He's a member of the Opposition in the parliament of the UK. It would be a bit of a disgrace, were he to be disinterested in World affairs.
    Yep...but he is historicaly inaccurate alleging that gaeldom was detroyed by english laws, this is a myth, are we to belive that the act was not resisted that the Gaels meekly rolled over and complied ???? P lenty of historicalevidence illustrates how the Gaels resisted the act, very actively. The period after culloden up to 1752 illustrates an active resistance movement against the oppressors. As a nationalist surely he should know his basic history. The gaeldom way of life incidentally was dying out before the clearances, and arguably the clan system was being discarded prior to and immediatly after culloden, the clearances affected only 1 part of his own consituency..Sutherland which were barbaric...but other areas suffered just as bad as well

And did all the people who voted for him and the SNP not expect them to improve things here? Was that part of their manifesto ?