Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fish and chip shop

Default Fish and chip shop

My wife and I are coming to thurso on Friday 3rd july for a weeks holiday and would like to know which is the best fish and chip shop, also chineese takeaway, ?

I say try them all.

Reid's fish bar by the river, and Charlie Chans in Sinclair Street are the best.

aye, i would say Reid's and Charlie's myself as i use them occassionally and they both serve decent food. As for the rest.....hmm they are ok if you can decide which you like best between the fish supper still swimming (in grease), the haggis so overcooked that it doubles up as an offensive weapon, the chips so soggy and tasteless that even the seagulls turn their beaks up at them and the batter that looks and tastes like it was made from wallpaper paste.

Aside from that, welcome to Caithness and i hope you have a really good holiday break :-)

Charlie Chan's Chinese is excellent. Service is always first class and food delicious, generous portions - the restaurant is lovely too.

Robin's is by far the for me and my better half Captin's Galley & Blue Door Cafe on a Friday.

At the moment I would say that the "Krispy Chicken & Fish Bar" in High Ormlie is hard to beat. The only disadvantage is that since everything is coked to order they are not as fast as some chippy's. But their Chips are always freshly cooked.

If you order from the Chippy Menu, (ie Fish Supper, Sausage Supper, Pudding Supper etc) then you get freshly cooked real chips. If you order from the Krispy Chicken you get Feshly Cooked Thin French Fries.

Their Burgers are also excellent and like all the rest cooked to order.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    At the moment I would say that the "Krispy Chicken & Fish Bar" in High Ormlie is hard to beat. The only disadvantage is that since everything is coked to order they are not as fast as some chippy's. But their Chips are always freshly cooked.

If you order from the Chippy Menu, (ie Fish Supper, Sausage Supper, Pudding Supper etc) then you get freshly cooked real chips. If you order from the Krispy Chicken you get Feshly Cooked Thin French Fries.

Their Burgers are also excellent and like all the rest cooked to order.
    Good to know that they do real chips as well, might give them another go now, got put off by those horrible French Fries thing.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Thanks to all who replied, Really looking forward to coming up to Thurso for a holiday and a trip to Durness, also long time since been at John o Groats ive heard the place has all been done up so will be worth a visit, hope weather good for us