Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Im only trying to be polite in responding...its scotland oil.....so did scotland have the expertise to bring it to the surface........I guess the answer has to be 100%...no ! Immaterial anyway, as scotland back in the day was part of the UK....so Oil is a a UK resource...and of course Scotland still remains part of the UK which obvioulsy sticks in the throat of many people who voted no ! PL...dont you know that your party policy is "to increase Scotland’s working age population in order to promote economic growth. It commits the Scottish government to matching “average European (EU15) population growth over the period from 2007 – 2017” and states that an independent Scotland would use immigration as one of the major levers to increase the country’s population........lets just gently point out that you are out of step with your parties migration intent !!!
    I think you are out of step from my sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    I think you are out of step from my sarcasm!
    Nah...I got it lol lol lol ......

A bit of common sense here...when oil was discovered in the North sea no British and certainly no scottish companies had all the expertise required to extract the hyro carbons off shore......so how did "we" get the stuff out...well lets guess that people / companies outwith with the UK with expertise got involved....The first oil was brought ashore by an American company, Hamilton, in 1975.
    In the 1970's Comedy "Porridge", the Scottish prisoner McClaren claimed it was "Scotland's Oil" but was told by Fletch (Norman Stanley Fletcher) that it was "English Expertise" that would bring the oil ashore. Both lags turned out to be wrong but it shows that, 40 years ago, the comedy writers were more savvy about the practicalities than some present day contributors to the argument.

The way whisky is selling we could live on that revenue alone.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    All whisky sold for export is sold duty free, therefore no revenue such as the revenue on oil. So if you get independence (God forbid) England will be laughing, they will be buying all their whisky duty free.
    90% or more of the Scotch Whisky industry is foreign owned, mostly Japan, USA and France, guess where the profits end up.
    Last edited by golach; 23-Jun-15 at 11:37.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Just like Oil, whisky sales are down oops guess that doesn't make you quite so happy !

I would suggest a fair amount of this is being consumed when you write some of these daft posts!

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    I would suggest a fair amount of this is being consumed when you write some of these daft posts!
    I should imagine Piratelassie would be a fan of Sailors Rum rather than Whisky

Im pretty sure the vast majority of the whisky revenue actually goes south. Diageo for example have about 45% of the market. They are based in London.

I think we shoudl stop picking on pirate lassie its pretty clear she hasn't the foggiest about whats going on with this stuff.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

I think what people are getting crossed wired in Scotland, they think that companies and workers who pay tax in Scotland is then shared in Scotland only, that is wrong it all goes to Westminster and all tax collected through UK is then shared out through other parts of UK, However you soon will see what it be like from only tax collected from Scotland will be used in Scotland, that is why tax will go up. Land reform will bring back sporting tax, this is only start, the problem will be if goes up too much many businesses will shift south for better tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I think what people are getting crossed wired in Scotland, they think that companies and workers who pay tax in Scotland is then shared in Scotland only, that is wrong it all goes to Westminster and all tax collected through UK is then shared out through other parts of UK, However you soon will see what it be like from only tax collected from Scotland will be used in Scotland, that is why tax will go up. Land reform will bring back sporting tax, this is only start, the problem will be if goes up too much many businesses will shift south for better tax.
    Assuming Scotland gets independance and with the hole in public finances caused by low oil prices, taxes will have to rise or services will be cut..... then you are spot on, if England has lower taxes then businesses / new opportunities will go there. A hard fact.

What I can't understand is. If oil is just about finished, then why are the oil companies investing millions on ugrading Sullom Voe ?. Answer please Rob since you seem to know so much about everthing

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    What I can't understand is. If oil is just about finished, then why are the oil companies investing millions on ugrading Sullom Voe ?. Answer please Rob since you seem to know so much about everthing
    It is like Wind farms, there are projects in pipeline even when sub are going to be cut, the investment they have put into projects can not be written off by all and need to continue.

Assuming Scotland gets independance and with the hole in public finances caused by low oil prices, taxes will have to rise or services will be cut..... then you are spot on, if England has lower taxes then businesses / new opportunities will go there. A hard fact.
    Infact you do not need to wait for independance, Scotland will get tax raising powers soon and this will give you good idea how it will be if we did go independance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Infact you do not need to wait for independance, Scotland will get tax raising powers soon and this will give you good idea how it will be if we did go independance.
    Hell, thanks.... I forgot all about tax powers comming up...yur right there though it will give us a good idea !

Because there is a massive oil field West of Shetland.

Me ?? I dont know so much about everything far from it.............see above...developments west of shetland ?

I get the impression that most of the comments on this subject " me thinks they object too much" comes to mind.

I get the impression that most of the comments on this subject " me thinks they object too much" comes to mind.
    Close.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...much,_methinks

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Actuallywhat come to my mind is...Highway 61, way south of the highway at that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast