Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Teacher's Thank you gift idea

Default Teacher's Thank you gift idea

Looking for a Thank you gift for a teacher, what about a teacher wine charm something a bit different!

https://www.facebook.com/handmadewinecharms

How about their handsome employment package which we all pay for already.

a hink teacher's don't get paid enough ,,,a teacher down glasgow ,,edinbrugh ,, get paid more than a teacher in highland's ,,highland council a fookng joke ,,

these teacher's a teaching the kid's of 2morrow

I think you should have listened to your teachers more.Also the cost of living in the central belt is considerably more than the highlands hence the different wage structures.

Go and have a day in a classroom and you'll see first hand that teachers deserve double the wage.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    Go and have a day in a classroom and you'll see first hand that teachers deserve double the wage.
    I have had a few days in there.No one forces them into the job, with massive holidays, sick pay and pension.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    I have had a few days in there.No one forces them into the job, with massive holidays, sick pay and pension.
    presumably these 'few days' were when you were of school age ?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    You obviously wasted your time in school as you have a massive chip, sorry breeze block, on your shoulder about teachers and their terms and conditions.

Teachers have studied at university for four or five years, work long hours and do a fantastic job. I will elaborate on work long hours because I know you'll pick up on it. Teachers may have a short day on paper, but spend a lot of time during evenings, weekends and holidays preparing lessons and doing paperwork.

I think that you have to ask yourself whether you know this teacher well enough to give something that he or she is actually going to like to receive and also, to really consider whether this is actually what a teacher wants from the pupils' parents. Otherwise your gift puts the teacher in the embarrassing position of having to thank a whole string of parents politely for things that he or she is going to regard as unwanted clutter and will off-load as soon as possible in a charity shop, probably one far enough away that no parent is going to spot that their gift is in there!
    End of year gifts are above all, another marketing opportunity for the retailers. I am willing to bet that the teacher would like a home made card from the pupil, made with some effort and given with a true feeling of gratitude, over any number of mugs and dare I say wine charms that are likely to come his or her way.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    You obviously wasted your time in school as you have a massive chip, sorry breeze block, on your shoulder about teachers and their terms and conditions. Teachers have studied at university for four or five years, work long hours and do a fantastic job. I will elaborate on work long hours because I know you'll pick up on it. Teachers may have a short day on paper, but spend a lot of time during evenings, weekends and holidays preparing lessons and doing paperwork.
    Why would a perceived chip on the shoulder equal wasted school years?Indeed they have spent time at uni learning their chosen profession, however so have many burger flippers.I am not knocking what they do or how they do it, just pointing out that they have an excellent renumeration package which is funded by you and I (presumably you work and pay tax) and I see that as a nice thank you gift month in, month out.

What's wrong with a good old fashioned apple...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I think that you have to ask yourself whether you know this teacher well enough to give something that he or she is actually going to like to receive and also, to really consider whether this is actually what a teacher wants from the pupils' parents. Otherwise your gift puts the teacher in the embarrassing position of having to thank a whole string of parents politely for things that he or she is going to regard as unwanted clutter and will off-load as soon as possible in a charity shop, probably one far enough away that no parent is going to spot that their gift is in there!
    End of year gifts are above all, another marketing opportunity for the retailers. I am willing to bet that the teacher would like a home made card from the pupil, made with some effort and given with a true feeling of gratitude, over any number of mugs and dare I say wine charms that are likely to come his or her way.
    My mum was a Lollipop Lady from 1971 until very recently, so she crossed children, then their children and so on. At the end of the summer the children if leaving to go to Secondary School would buy her gifts (just little things) and also at Christmas. I have to tell you, she treasured everything she was given, and these things did not have to be shop bought, it was the fact that the children had gone out their way to get her something, meant an awful lot to her.

Thanks for reminding me why I hardly bother with the org anymore.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Sadly, In today's schools, a stab vest might not be a bad idea for a gift to the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Sadly, In today's schools, a stab vest might not be a bad idea for a gift to the teachers.
    when I went to school, pupils were regularly assaulted by the teacher, many of which were using a weapon of some sort.

Well, here is an idea. Supposing you decide that instead of buying the teacher a gift that may or may not be wanted or appreciated, you find a charity that is supporting a teacher in a school where there is no money to buy books for the children, or paper or pencils and where the children walk long miles to attend the school and then sit on a dirt floor because there are no benches. When the day finishes, they then trudge the long miles home again, often on an empty stomach because their parents cannot even afford to provide them with food. Supposing you tell your children about this idea and they tell their friends and you involve other parents and you then say to the teachers at your school that this is what you are doing, as a token of gratitude for the past school year and all the good experiences that have come your chidrens’ way.
    Suppose the idea catches on through social media and is replicated throughout the UK and many thousands of pounds ends up being raised and spent on teachers and pupils in schools where there are few or no material goods and where the act of generosity makes a true and lasting difference, perhaps because your school forges a link with the one that you have helped.
    I wonder which idea the teacher might prefer and look on as something worthwhile and as a parent, what have you got to lose as you are going to spend the money on a gift anyway, so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Well, here is an idea. Supposing you decide that instead of buying the teacher a gift that may or may not be wanted or appreciated, you find a charity that is supporting a teacher in a school where there is no money to buy books for the children, or paper or pencils and where the children walk long miles to attend the school and then sit on a dirt floor because there are no benches. When the day finishes, they then trudge the long miles home again, often on an empty stomach because their parents cannot even afford to provide them with food. Supposing you tell your children about this idea and they tell their friends and you involve other parents and you then say to the teachers at your school that this is what you are doing, as a token of gratitude for the past school year and all the good experiences that have come your chidrens’ way.
    Suppose the idea catches on through social media and is replicated throughout the UK and many thousands of pounds ends up being raised and spent on teachers and pupils in schools where there are few or no material goods and where the act of generosity makes a true and lasting difference, perhaps because your school forges a link with the one that you have helped.
    I wonder which idea the teacher might prefer and look on as something worthwhile and as a parent, what have you got to lose as you are going to spend the money on a gift anyway, so it seems.
    now that is a wonderful idea.
    If it is not in place already, it should be