Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHS Highland Travel Cost Reimbursement

Must be costing the NHS hundreds of thousands of pounds over the course of a financial year. Why don't the NHS hold appointments at CGH every month for out patients that need to travel? Would it not be cost effective to send consultants to Wick rather than have patients from the far north travel south to Raigmore for every appointment. After all, the consultants could perhaps travel in one vehicle and the driver of said vehicle claim the 13p per mile travel. Or is this too much like common sense?
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

One of my Gastroenterologist Consultants offered to do this, and basically was told no. I will let you all do your research on some of the illnesses Gastroenterology covers, but trust me, a lot of people are not physically able to sit in a bus/car/coach for that length of time, so are missing out on appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    One of my Gastroenterologist Consultants offered to do this, and basically was told no. I will let you all do your research on some of the illnesses Gastroenterology covers, but trust me, a lot of people are not physically able to sit in a bus/car/coach for that length of time, so are missing out on appointments.
    My late father was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 80. He had to travel to Raigmore every month for his treatment. This totally wiped him out. He was that fed up of the travelling, as were myself and my sisters. When he told his consultant he won't be travelling to Raigmore for his treatment anymore, the consultant gave him all the bull about receiving best treatment my dad told them he isn't travelling anymore. They eventually let him have his treatment in CGH. It's all about numbers and funding at Raigmore.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    My late father was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 80. He had to travel to Raigmore every month for his treatment. This totally wiped him out. He was that fed up of the travelling, as were myself and my sisters. When he told his consultant he won't be travelling to Raigmore for his treatment anymore, the consultant gave him all the bull about receiving best treatment my dad told them he isn't travelling anymore. They eventually let him have his treatment in CGH. It's all about numbers and funding at Raigmore.
    I'm so sorry, your poor dad. Even without being ill, it would take it out of anyone at that age. It is a shocking way to treat people. However, if more people did that, they might not have an option, but to get consultants up here. My Consultant said what the people in Caithness need to do is stand up to the Health Board, or whoever makes these decisions, and to be fair, (as I said on another thread) last year, I had to go and see four different Consultants, although not happy, off I went. I honestly do'nt know what the solution is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12