Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Derelict buildings

Default Derelict buildings

I feel the derelict buildings dotted around caithness are an important part of the landscape and i am always looking at them and wondering what they were like in their prime and who may have lived there in the past..... so when I read the report in doanalsins diary that Bill Fernie is calling upon the local authority for enforcement upon landowners to pull derelict buildings down, in wick. (and I don't suppose it would stop there).
    It would be a sad day and an infringement of liberties, if that was to come into affect.... In my opinion this would be a step too far!
    Last edited by broch; 06-Jun-15 at 00:34.

I thought the same when I read that, but didn't want to seem to be the pot stirrer. I often notice an old building and wonder what it's historical past might have been, if they are safe I would like to see these old buildings left alone for future generations and visitors to wonder at.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Subjectively, the ones in Wick aren't as nice as the old but and bens in the country.

I don't suppose gap sites in Wick would look fantastic either, if they did pull them down.

I quite agree the are part of the countryside, leave them alone !!!

Yes also agree. The council seems obsessed with tearing down old buildings, often beautiful, and replacing them with modern monstrosities.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The buildings highlighted by Bill Fernie lie on the north shore of Wick next to the Waterfront. They were originally herring curing stations and kippering kilns and latterly a builders yard; all now derelict. The end ruin was once a block of residential houses and a small hall known as The Mutual Service Club and that bordered on to Sillersburn Curing Station now two modern houses. There was at one time a plan to build a hotel on the site next to the Waterfront but nothing came of that. It would be wonderful to see at least the frontages preserved on some old ruins but I don't hold my breath.

Totally agree they are good to look at and wonder about their past. But we need to look at them In reality,most of them could be unstable and need of repair which is why something could be done to restore them. I walked round Wick Harbour last night and had a good look at D Stevens old yard,then where chip shop was,well nows a eyesore. Im sure it could be developed and revitalised in to housing with all the recent activity going on around harbour with tourism from visiting yachts,also other visitors from all over the world..

I read the post about knocking down the derilict buildings and happened to be in Wick the next day.

I was fascinated to see, when passing, two obvious tourists feverishly photographing and studying the old Picture House building - probably fans of the Art Deco style so prominent in cinema facades.

So even this much maligned building with only a partial facade has some interest - personally I can't see it.

There has been redevelopment permission for this site for many years, nothing ever happens; although the Council does have the teeth it refuses to bite just like many other sites in Caithness