Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 138

Thread: Cuts : Scotland : fight the UK government's proposed cuts and the cuts to Scotland

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Alas the First Minister is over in the US of A talking to the IMF and various other organisations who she has no mandate or powers to have discussions with and appearing on a satirical comedy show.

    In the meantime John Swinney was sitting on politics today complaining how the UK government has a decision in what final taxation the Scottish Government actually implement and calling it a veto but steadfastly refusing to say what they are going to do with all the new powers and palpably blanching when asked about FFA.

    Funny how they've campaigned so hard for these new powers but won't tell the electorate how they intend to dispense them. More interestingly he also refused to say anything about what tax raising measures he'd use to cover the £177 million cut implemented by Westminster or why he won't get rid of the bedroom tax although he has the powers to do so.

    Seems the same old, same old lots of whingeing and whining about minor details but no detail in what they intend to actually do.....

    Reality is coming home for the SNP and the buck passing will soon grind to a halt.

    Much ado is made of the Labour and Libdems being wiped out in the general election but the SNP seem to fail to grasp a harsh reality that they've not actually proven anything yet and could easily end up on the scrap heap just as quickly.
    A clear example of buck passing waffling ......Margaret Burgess, the Minister for Housing and Welfare, SNP MSP : “Using the new powers coming to Scotland, the Scottish Government will abolish the bedroom tax as soon as possible"......( April 2015 ) when... Mrs Burgess ?, and does this not contradict Swinney ? is this not part of austerity cuts ? I disagree with you, certainly its all whinging / whining but its not over minor issues, their " a big boy done it and ran away / crying wolf" has to stop, lets see action not rhetoric, use the powers they have right now, reshuffle the available money, make informed prioritised choices....stop indulging the rich with council tax freezes / non means tested freebies, save money here and re allocate to where its needed....a but...thats making choices isnt it....... and deeply unpopular ones at that. My call is they will play up the legitimate card ( especially after JUlys early budget ) ie We never voted for austerity cuts ( they did actually support them but remember it was the pace that they were to be introduced was to be slower than Tories ) it wisnae us / we'll no dae that to youse when wur a free...... the so called party of anti austerity can make changes now...so the question is why not ? The answer is they will become like all the rest and lose popularity / votes in next years Holyrood election.

  2. #22
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Rob I agree with you for the most part, it will be interesting to see if they do abolish the bedroom tax and introduce the 50p higher rate tax.
    The main problem is they have bitten into a poisoned apple to some extent, as soon as they accept responsibility for the areas under their control eyes will become focussed on how well they are actually doing. Gone will be the blame game, buck passing rhetoric instead they will have to face up to what they will do to sort out the already existing problems. Falling literacy after 8yrs under their governance, Scottish NHS struggling to name but two.
    I still can't see how they justify not raising council tax or allowing free prescriptions for all, these two measures alone put strain on an already creaking system, the only logical rational is they are both popular vote winning measures which buy them votes.
    Meanwhile why is the First Minister doing a quick visit to the USA when her job is to be at the helm running Scotland not improving her image on the world stage, she has no reason to visit the IMF that's a job for minister for the UK govt. Her recent trip discussing the EU referendum again is not her job much as she might like it to be.
    Nicola Sturgeon is First Minister of a devolved government not president of an Independent Scotland.
    Yet she is still running around the world stage stoking the independence fire despite the electorate of Scotland giving her a resolute No, how is she working for all the people of Scotland when she is still chasing a dream and threatening another referendum when it feels right.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    I see the No voters are burying their heads in the sand and trying unsuccessfully to ignore the inevitable which is only a matter of time, Scottish Independence. Admittedly it will take time but it is coming so embrace it and join in. Stop being so negative and look forward not sideways.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    I see the No voters are burying their heads in the sand and trying unsuccessfully to ignore the inevitable which is only a matter of time, Scottish Independence.
    It would take more than time. It would take a majority of Yes votes.

    Or do you not work like that?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    governess
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    The first minister is doing a quick visit to The U.S. To launch a fund raising appeal for the restoration of Glasgow school of art. America is likely to be an important contributor to the fund raising. Do you not think that's her job either? That's an important role for our first minister. The restoration of one of the finest historical buildings in Glasgow is important and I'm sure there would be criticism from people if she didn't do that.
    Last edited by squidge; 09-Jun-15 at 08:02.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    The first minister is doing a quick visit to The U.S. To launch a fund raising appeal for the restoration of Glasgow school of art. America is likely to be an important contributor to the fund raising. Do you not think that's her job either? That's an important role for our first minister. The restoration of one of the finest historical buildings in Glasgow is important and I'm sure there would be criticism from people if she didn't do that.
    The former first minister also went to the USA to promote Scotland at the Ryder Cup, his expenses were over £500K hope this first minister is cheaper, although I very much doubt it.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  7. #27
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    The first minister is doing a quick visit to The U.S. To launch a fund raising appeal for the restoration of Glasgow school of art. America is likely to be an important contributor to the fund raising. Do you not think that's her job either? That's an important role for our first minister. The restoration of one of the finest historical buildings in Glasgow is important and I'm sure there would be criticism from people if she didn't do that.
    Interesting that you fail to mention her visit to the IMF and speech at the World Bank as also being part of her visit,organisations she has no real reason to visit as they are both under the remit of UK Govt.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    I see the No voters are burying their heads in the sand and trying unsuccessfully to ignore the inevitable which is only a matter of time, Scottish Independence. Admittedly it will take time but it is coming so embrace it and join in. Stop being so negative and look forward not sideways.
    Totally agree my head, is so full of sand...Im so negative.........I look sideways........ yep....youve found me out !

  9. #29

    Default

    post withdrawn why bother not my worry !
    Last edited by rob murray; 09-Jun-15 at 14:33. Reason: withdrawn

  10. #30

    Default

    post withdrawn, why should I bother
    Last edited by rob murray; 09-Jun-15 at 14:35. Reason: why bother let them get on with it

  11. #31

    Default

    [QUOTE=rob murray;1120918] Post withdrawn..why bother

  12. #32
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    The former first minister also went to the USA to promote Scotland at the Ryder Cup, his expenses were over £500K hope this first minister is cheaper, although I very much doubt it.
    Your part of a growing gang of armchair unionists who have no respect for anyone who has a different opinion to you. Just a disrespectful bunch of misfits who feel threatened by a wee lassie and a podgie middle aged man.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    post withdrawn, why should I bother
    Aye it's a bummer when no one will listen to you Rob and especially when you have all the answers to your own questions. Let them get on with it indeed. Hopefully they will manage.


    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Nicola Sturgeon is First Minister of a devolved government not president of an Independent Scotland.
    Yet she is still running around the world stage stoking the independence fire despite the electorate of Scotland giving her a resolute No, how is she working for all the people of Scotland when she is still chasing a dream and threatening another referendum when it feels right.
    Could that be just like you running around the internet stoking the unionist fire? The difference is Nicola Sturgeon is the leader of Scotland and her running around will be at the invitation of other world leaders because she is a well respected politician whereas no one is inviting you to do anything. You continue to impose your unionism on the org and fair play to you. It's keeping it alive.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    You continue to impose your unionism on the org and fair play to you. It's keeping it alive.
    Seems nowadays both are dying a slow death. As for wee Nic, if Greece don't get their act together she'll no need tae worry about the EU anymore..........."Iceberg dead ahead Captain!!!!"

  14. #34
    BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Your part of a growing gang of armchair unionists who have no respect for anyone who has a different opinion to you. Just a disrespectful bunch of misfits who feel threatened by a wee lassie and a podgie middle aged man. Aye it's a bummer when no one will listen to you Rob and especially when you have all the answers to your own questions. Let them get on with it indeed. Hopefully they will manage.Could that be just like you running around the internet stoking the unionist fire? The difference is Nicola Sturgeon is the leader of Scotland and her running around will be at the invitation of other world leaders because she is a well respected politician whereas no one is inviting you to do anything. You continue to impose your unionism on the org and fair play to you. It's keeping it alive.
    Unless I'm greatly mistaken the unionist did win a majority at the referendum 55% which means that the constant references to reasons for another referendum from the First Minister, SNP MSPs and SNP members are imposing their failed views of independence on the majority of people. The SNP won the general election fair enough but that as we where told is nothing to do with independence so why are those who dislike the First Ministers and various other members of her party referring to reasons for another referendum viewed in the wrong. Quite simply it's because the loosing side has not accepted it lost and is still trying to impose its views on the majority of the people of Scotland.

    Learn to loose with some dignity and grace.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Quite simply it's because the loosing side has not accepted it lost and is still trying to impose its views on the majority of the people of Scotland.

    Learn to loose with some dignity and grace.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Ask yourself why over 50% of Scots voted SNP. It tell's me that we expect more than will be got from the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Unless I'm greatly mistaken the unionist did win a majority at the referendum 55% which means that the constant references to reasons for another referendum from the First Minister, SNP MSPs and SNP members are imposing their failed views of independence on the majority of people. The SNP won the general election fair enough but that as we where told is nothing to do with independence so why are those who dislike the First Ministers and various other members of her party referring to reasons for another referendum viewed in the wrong. Quite simply it's because the loosing side has not accepted it lost and is still trying to impose its views on the majority of the people of Scotland.

    Learn to loose with some dignity and grace.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Ask yourself why over 50% of Scots voted SNP. It tell's me that we expect more than will be got from the status quo
    1454,436 voted SNP, total number of Scots is 5.295 million, how is that 50% ? Not by my maths
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    It is more than 50% in SNP Freedom maths, which is commonly used amongst their supporters

    Its like how the 8.1% structural deficit Scotland has, likely slightly higher now, makes Scotland less likely implement public sector cuts as its so rich, yet the 4.3% one the UK does means its a sinking ship that's out to punish the poor.

    SP freedom maths makes ANY sum fall in you favour no matter what the numbers are.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ex-Pentland Firth
    Posts
    557

    Default

    There they go again

    Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    It is more than 50% in SNP Freedom maths, which is commonly used amongst their supporters

    Its like how the 8.1% structural deficit Scotland has, likely slightly higher now, makes Scotland less likely implement public sector cuts as its so rich, yet the 4.3% one the UK does means its a sinking ship that's out to punish the poor.

    SP freedom maths makes ANY sum fall in you favour no matter what the numbers are.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    governess
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    If you believe that Scotland is a country in its own right - whether or not you believe inIndependence - then you have to accept that the political leader of that Country has a duty to promote Scotland's industry and interests wherever she is invited to do so. A fundamental part of her role is exactly that.

    Regardless of those who mutter about maths the FACT is that the SNP won 50% of the vote. That means that 50% of those who turned out to vote voted SNP. Goalachs 5 odd million includes all the children, all those not registered to vote and those who chose not to vote. The turnout was over 70% and all hose people knew ABSOLUTELY that the SNP continue to support an independent Scotland. They ALL understood absolutely that the SNP would continue to talk about Independence and they heard Nicola Sturgeon speak about the conditions in which another referendum would be possible. None of this was a secret, none was a surprise. No one was conned.

    The comments about losing with dignity, or moving on should take a leaf out of their own book. They seem to think that because the SNP is outnumbered they should sit quietly on their hands and do as they are told. Are you kidding me? Their job as MPs is to stand up for their constituents and to challenge the government every step of the way. Maybe we have got used to the Labour Party's form of opposition where we see them vote with the government or abstain but we don't see any real difference between the two but you know, the job of Opposition parties is to challenge, question and argue the case for their own policies. Whether they win or not. Seems like that is what they are doing.

    For all of us older people - politics has and continues to change. Who knows where that will lead us. I hope to an Independent Scotland eventually, but until that happens I hope it leads us to better opposition in Westminster, stronger voices than we have heard in previous years and greater political engagement.
    Last edited by squidge; 10-Jun-15 at 07:55.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •