Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lords

Default Lords

, .Am I alone in wanting to see an end of the archaic, undemocratic, expensive, privilaged House of Lords. Only recently an MP who lost his seat in the GE was made a peer so he can serve on the Scottish affairs committee, bloody digusting and should not even be legal.

And Ladies.

Don't forget them.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Does one have to use such intemperate language this is a family site !
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 28-May-15 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    , .Am I alone in wanting to see an end of the archaic, undemocratic, expensive, privilaged House of Lords. Only recently an MP who lost his seat in the GE was made a peer so he can serve on the Scottish affairs committee, bloody digusting and should not even be legal.
    Here we go, yet again !

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Seems to me the House of Lords is just doing its just job meanwhile back in the real world the hellmouth that is SNP central office has set its golems about once again trying to subvert the electoral process with their usual dual standards and hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    So it's ok for the cheating Alex Salmond drawing two sets of pay, one from Holyrood and one from Westminster, where he got £62k from when he last left Westminster, the man is amoral, he should pay that back now he is back in Westminster, I thought the first minister was calling for austerity, drawing two wages is not austere
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

The House of Lords Has no place in a modern democracy. The Lords are unelected but influence the democratic process which makes no sense. Why go to all the bother of electing representatives who then have to run everything they do past a bunch of unelected people?

That said, I do like the ceremonial stuff, it reminds me that we had to work hard, struggle, fight, and in some cases die, for the electoral rights we have now and that they should not be taken for granted. As for dual standards and hypocrisy, we need to remember that Alex Salmond was at the very least ELECTED to be both an MP and and MSP and not parachuted into a job by means of being awarded a seat in the House of Lords like Andrew Dunlop.
    Last edited by squidge; 28-May-15 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    So it's ok for the cheating Alex Salmond drawing two sets of pay, one from Holyrood and one from Westminster, where he got £62k from when he last left Westminster, the man is amoral, he should pay that back now he is back in Westminster, I thought the first minister was calling for austerity, drawing two wages is not austere
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...alary-charity/
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

I think the Lords is a good safety valve for the democratic process. They will always be biased towards their mates but what's wrong with that? The important thing is to keep talking. It beats bombs and bullets. I think there's something solid and good about British politics although at times it seems not but that's life.

Can you please state the amount of any monies that have been put into the said charities? I would like to see if you can find any.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    I think the Lords is a good safety valve for the democratic process. They will always be biased towards their mates but what's wrong with that? The important thing is to keep talking. It beats bombs and bullets. I think there's something solid and good about British politics although at times it seems not but that's life.
    I agree that a second chamber could be a good thing but I think that it must be elected if it is to be a safety valve of any sort. I do however think that there is something deeply wrong with an institution where a member can avoid a trial for crimes which he may or may not have committed because he is too unwell and has not the capacity to understand what is happening and yet, can be appointed to a committee working on complex issues around parliamentary bills. What is that all about?

Hear hear, did I nod off then?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Can you please state the amount of any monies that have been put into the said charities? I would like to see if you can find any.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/salmon...-fund-1.842878

You can contact the Mary Salmond Trust if you so wish http://www.marysalmondtrust.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Hear hear, did I nod off then?
    You can get £300 per day for nodding off in the House Of Lords!

£300 a day and there is over 700 of the -------.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    a bit more about our ex first minister

It is often mentioned by SNP cult members that Salmond is better than other politicians because he donates his wages to charity. The charity in question is one that bears his mother's name! That charity's declared income is miniscule and would suggest Salmond is not well paid. Has anyone else donated to this charity? This would be added to the charity's funds along with those made by Salmond. For the last accounting period the charity received a tot...al of £4 for the year! http://www.oscr.org.uk/…/search-scottish-c…/charity-details…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...n-goodbye.html
    Last edited by golach; 29-May-15 at 14:15.

I rather like their lordships, they are an eccentric bunch but are not constrained by the same rules as The Commons.and often demonstrate a healthy opposition to the status quo.
    What worries me is that an elected chamber would merely reflect the same divisions as the lower chamber.
    Do we want to go down the same road as America and end up with rubber stamped government?
    I'll settle for a little eccentricity any day.

Titles are useful, I used to like being Lady Crayola. My title got me into all sorts of places I wouldn't otherwise have seen. It's nice to go to events they don't let plebs into.

Was it you that I saw last Ladies Day at Ascot? I liked your hat!

What about the rest of my outfit? Those shoes were the most expensive I've ever bought. The dress was borrowed from a friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast