Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Bank Notes

Having had a few breaks in Blackpool, while found no problem with Scottish Bank Notes, in fact often got Northern Ireland notes in my change, was a bit confused when this first happened, but easily rectified, when buying my next round, just made sure the NI notes were used first.
    Back in the 1950/60's as a Merchant Seaman, always made sure I had Bank of England notes when heading south, just to save any confusion. I still do when going abroad change my Scottish notes to whatever currency is used in the country I am going to, simples.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Onbody should have to RELY on tips while working.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    So the person who served you and I assume you where happy with the service they provided, had the good grace to ask the manager whether your banknotes where acceptable.
    Having then tried their best to accommodate your instransegence and failed you punished them by not leaving a tip. Totally ignoring the reality that you knew your notes are generally not acceptable in England and that the person serving you and the manager are just following instructions left by the business owner.
    That does show a stupefying lack of respect for ordinary working people who probably rely on tips.

Default bank notes

Maybe it is time the (our) government approached WESTMINSTER and negotiated over this stupidity and get it settled once and for all
    After all what would happen if we started to refuse bank notes from other parts of the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Manxman View Post
    Maybe it is time the (our) government approached WESTMINSTER and negotiated over this stupidity and get it settled once and for all
    Shouldn't they "negotiate" with English pubs and shops then?

The easy answer is maybe for Scottish banks to stop printing banknotes. Not that I really know anything about banknotes or banking.

After all what would happen if we started to refuse bank notes from other parts of the UK
    You wouldn't get paid?
    Last edited by sids; 22-May-15 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Nobody should have to RELY on tips while working.
    Yes, it's unfortunate.

Onbody should have to RELY on tips while working.
    And you are purposely missing the point, but then that's no surprise is it ? You just need the slightest excuse to have a dig at England, the English and so on and off you go on one of your little rants.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    And you are purposely missing the point, but then that's no surprise is it ? You just need the slightest excuse to have a dig at England, the English and so on and off you go on one of your little rants.
    . Well thats a bit of a strange one - Scotland accepts BOE notes but not vice -versa so who's digging at who ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    . Well thats a bit of a strange one - Scotland accepts BOE notes but not vice -versa so who's digging at who ?
    Have you just not read any of this thread at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    Of course the Bank of England accepts Scottish notes, or is your experience different?

It's not "Scotland" accepting notes.
    It's businesses and private sellers having confidence that the money being offered is genuine. Any Scottish person who is unfamiliar with English banknotes must be even poorer than me.

when offering a Scottish note as payment the cashier wasn't too sure about it, the shop manager pointed out the note says pound Sterling on it, note accepted, no bother

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    when offering a Scottish note as payment the cashier wasn't too sure about it, the shop manager pointed out the note says pound Sterling on it, note accepted, no bother

I just heard that cash machines at Edinburgh and Glasgow airports give out English banknotes.

Which could be handy.

Don't venture south of the border with Scottish notes or even better don't bother going south of the border and spend your money here.

Quote Originally Posted by focusRS View Post
    Don't venture south of the border with Scottish notes or even better don't bother going south of the border and spend your money here.
    I have said this before just not only south but most of the world, some have never knew there was a Scottish notes exist.

Quote Originally Posted by focusRS View Post
    There's no doubt a day spent south of the Ord is a day wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    There's no doubt a day spent south of the Ord is a day wasted.
    Now that is funny

Thank you.
    So, when you were in Preston, why did'nt you point out to the restaurant that it said Sterling on the note?

I've never had any trouble with London shops accepting BoS or RBS notes. When in Ulster last year, and about to visit London, I filled my wallet with Ulster Bank notes and despite the odd quizzical look and one shop assistant asking her manager, all were accepted.

It may be just smaller shops with daft assistants who are reluctant.

Scots notes are not legal tender.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Ha ha I do that all the time. But it's crucial to wait until they've rung up your purchases first. It works a treat in bars because they're reluctant to pour away the drinks they've just poured out.
    Absolutely correct, buts its even more fun with 50 quids worth of groceries put through the till in a mini market. When they refuse to accept payment in Scots notes just walk away and leave the stuff stacked up. Childish I know but such fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast