Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Bank Notes

Default Scottish Bank Notes

Just been reading about someone not being able to use Scottish Bank Notes while he was visiting in Norfolk. My answer to this insult is simple, just refuse to pay, believe me they soon change their mind then. Next time you are in England do the same, it's fun honestly.

That has been a bone of contention for donkeys years

[QUOTE=piratelassie;1119427,believe me they soon change their mind.[/QUOTE]

No they wont.

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

There is no legal requirement for anyone in England or Wales to accept Scottish bank notes if you read the link provided it should clarify the situation.http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

we had the same trouble when we go even the banks tried refusing to change it yet most of the shops except euro says it all really

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Just been reading about someone not being able to use Scottish Bank Notes while he was visiting in Norfolk. My answer to this insult is simple, just refuse to pay, believe me they soon change their mind then. Next time you are in England do the same, it's fun honestly.
    Remind us please, who owns the Royal Bank of Scotland? Oh yes , the UK government who are the biggest share holders, if they had not bailed out RBS, its would have gone down the tubes. Maybe its was a Norfolk Unionist getting his own back at a seperatist and quite rightly so.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I usually change some Scottish notes for English in the Post Office in Wick, before I travel south.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Remind us please, who owns the Royal Bank of Scotland? Oh yes , the UK government who are the biggest share holders, if they had not bailed out RBS, its would have gone down the tubes. Maybe its was a Norfolk Unionist getting his own back at a seperatist and quite rightly so.
    so you're in favour of petty, small minded behaviour ?

(and how would they know it was a seperatist ?)

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I'm sorry to say but it is just not in the UK, China do not accept Scottish notes as well.

First of all I am Scottish, however I worked for years in retail establishments in England. Let me put it into some perspective from a retailers point of view for you. England has one set of bank notes issued by The Bank Of England, so you get used to how to spot counterfeits, not always easy but you do. Scotland, on the other hand has three sets of bank notes issued by three banks - Bank Of Scotland, Royal Bank Of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank. The counterfeiters, these days are getting very, very good, and if you do'nt see these notes on a regular basis, as these days most people (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32778196) do'nt use cash to pay for goods, then I for one do not blame retailers for not accepting the notes.

My mate, myself and our wifes were in a bar in Luton a few years ago and bought beers and wines. Went to pay with a RBofS £20 note and they would not take it. Off course we had downed a fair bit of the lager so it was get the manager time. He came looked at the note, looked at us and decided to accept. Guess what was next door to this bar, yup a RBofS branch.

It's a bit much to expect shops to accept notes they haven't seen before.

Ha ha I do that all the time. But it's crucial to wait until they've rung up your purchases first. It works a treat in bars because they're reluctant to pour away the drinks they've just poured out.

Years ago I had a meal in Preston. When I went to pay, the waiter refused to accept my bank notes. I told him that was the only money I had on me and if he won't accept the Scottish notes then I was sorry but I was leaving. After he consulted his manager the notes were accepted. I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.

This happens all the time. I find that the best way is as previous posters have said. If you say I'm sorry I have no other money and smile they will take it without a problem

Reality is they are more likely to say " have you got a card you can use " as more transactions are done by plastic than by cash nowadays currency belligerence really is childlike behaviour. Maybe you should travel abroad with Scottish Notes and see how others treat them.

I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.
    I suppose that comes down to which you are more interested in: doing business or annoying people.

They seriously won't give a monkeys because Scottish notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. Why should they accept a currency that has no legal protection?

Here's something taken directly from the Committee of Scottish bankers
    "The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:
    Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. "

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Years ago I had a meal in Preston. When I went to pay, the waiter refused to accept my bank notes. I told him that was the only money I had on me and if he won't accept the Scottish notes then I was sorry but I was leaving. After he consulted his manager the notes were accepted. I know Scottish notes are not legal tender south of the border but there's a matter of pride here, and I never left a tip.
    So the person who served you and I assume you where happy with the service they provided, had the good grace to ask the manager whether your banknotes where acceptable.
    Having then tried their best to accommodate your instransegence and failed you punished them by not leaving a tip. Totally ignoring the reality that you knew your notes are generally not acceptable in England and that the person serving you and the manager are just following instructions left by the business owner.
    That does show a stupefying lack of respect for ordinary working people who probably rely on tips.

i was in a pub and the bar manger bought them off me every one and framed them on the bar i made a £1 profit on every note lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast